PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post-Game Thread: Week 1 - Pats lose to Dolphins 17-16

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Was this during the penalties and/or fumbles or no?
Unless you're referring to some committed by the defense, it's irrelevant. Neither team played this game to get into the 30's. Both teams played for a lower scoring game. The Patriots defense failed on all four of the four biggest drives of the game. Having said that:

1. The first drive came after the Patriots had started the game off with a 7 play drive that stalled out at the Miami 41, and led to the Dolphins starting their first drive at their own 25.
  2. The end of the 1st half drive came after the Patriots scored a TD and taken a 10-7 lead. The Dolphins again started their drive on their own 25.
  3. This one is a puzzler. Exactly how are you looking at "during the penalties and/or fumbles" in the drive to start the second half? It was the opening drive of the second half when, again the Dolphins started at their own 25.

So let's be clear, here. The Dolphins 3 scoring drives were full field drives (started at their own 25), and none of them were in problematic momentum situations.

And the final drive of the game saw the Dolphins stuck in 1st and 14 at the Miami 5 after a holding call. The Patriots defense immediately gave up a 13 yard completion, and then proceeded to surrender 2 first downs, which allowed the Dolphins to run out the clock.

Everything needs to be analyzed in context, including the performance of the defense, which sorry to disappoint did not come up big when it mattered most...or during Miami's opening drive of the game, a TD... or during their end-of-half drive, a FG as time expired... or during their opening 2nd-half drive, another TD...

There was bad football played on both sides of the LOS, but at least some of the problems on offense can be corrected (turnovers, penalties)...
Not as confident about those on defense...
They held Miami to 17 points and about 280 yards total offense, then got the huge pick in Miami territory to set up the offense to win. That seems like coming up big to me. There’s a lot of room for improvement, but they played well enough to win. This loss isn’t on them.

Thank you. His thoughts about how the team cannot close one possession games going back to the second half of 2019 was extremely interesting. He said the reason was the defense and Florio leaving.

It's interesting that all of us, myself included have been so focused on the Qb that we may have missed the most obvious - the defense has been really poor and poorly coached by his son and Mayo.

Bedard talked yesterday how awful our defensive strategy was on the final drive slant pass play not having Jones out there. He also mentioned how Flores knew that by bringing pressure it would make Jones check down and then all Miami had to do was wrap up the runner. So basically Bill was outcoached pretty badly.

I do wonder if spending all that money on FAs is going to blow up in our faces. I saw your link about the 8 penalities. So many new guys from different systems and then you add a rookie QB on top.

This play is awesome with the All-22.

Dolphins are in a cover 0. Mason loses his 1 v 1 relatively quickly. Mac makes an anticipatory throw under pressure to Meyers against Xavien Howard on 3rd & 7. Pats didn’t have the QB play or pass catchers to execute that play last year.

It was a disapointing loss. They did enough to win the game and should have. But I think there are positives to take away from it going forward. One being that I doubt the Patriots are going to become one of the most penalized teams and put the ball on the ground twice.

The main takeaway being that Mac Jones looks to be the real deal. Kid doesn't get phased. Knows where to go with the ball and doesn't make bad decisions. And this is only his first game. He's only going to get better

There was a play in the game where nothing was there so rather than forcing it, he threw the ball into the stands. That's a veteran play.

They held Miami to 17 points and about 280 yards total offense, then got the huge pick in Miami territory to set up the offense to win. That seems like coming up big to me. There’s a lot of room for improvement, but they played well enough to win. This loss isn’t on them.
60 minutes.

This play is awesome with the All-22.

Dolphins are in a cover 0. Mason loses his 1 v 1 relatively quickly. Mac makes an anticipatory throw under pressure to Meyers against Xavien Howard on 3rd & 7. Pats didn’t have the QB play or pass catchers to execute that play last year.

What a horrible whiff by the over-rated & over-paid Lil' Shack Mason there... Our right side of the OL ****ing sucked on Sunday.

Thank you. His thoughts about how the team cannot close one possession games going back to the second half of 2019 was extremely interesting. He said the reason was the defense and Florio leaving.

It's interesting that all of us, myself included have been so focused on the Qb that we may have missed the most obvious - the defense has been really poor and poorly coached by his son and Mayo.

Bedard talked yesterday how awful our defensive strategy was on the final drive slant pass play not having Jones out there. He also mentioned how Flores knew that by bringing pressure it would make Jones check down and then all Miami had to do was wrap up the runner. So basically Bill was outcoached pretty badly.

I do wonder if spending all that money on FAs is going to blow up in our faces. I saw your link about the 8 penalities. So many new guys from different systems and then you add a rookie QB on top.
You are most welcome.

And, to be fair to the current pair of "coordinators", it's a lot easier to coach when Gilmore is playing at an All-Pro level. Last year, his play had fallen off, and this year his play is currently non-existent.

There were layers upon layers of responsibility pie for this loss, and coaching was definitely one of them. But I'm not sure there was any area that didn't add to it, and that includes the QB (can't be sure without seeing fuller videos of the plays involving receivers in the end zone who might have been ignored for some reason).

You are most welcome.

And, to be fair to the current pair of "coordinators", it's a lot easier to coach when Gilmore is playing at an All-Pro level. Last year, his play had fallen off, and this year his play is currently non-existent.

There were layers upon layers of responsibility pie for this loss, and coaching was definitely one of them. But I'm not sure there was any area that didn't add to it, and that includes the QB (can't be sure without seeing fuller videos of the plays involving receivers in the end zone who might have been ignored for some reason).
There are lots of layers. My biggest take away from the defense was that the interior got pushed around. That was the most disappointing as we addressed that in the off-season and the Miami Oline is not great.

There are lots of layers. My biggest take away from the defense was that the interior got pushed around. That was the most disappointing as we addressed that in the off-season and the Miami Oline is not great.
Yeah, it's only one game, but the question marks about that DL certainly were not resolved in any positive way.

Yep...But who needs a Legit NT when we added Godsmack & Carl Davis?
And don't forget that Barmore's problem is his relative weakness against the run. That's an area where it's theoretically possible to see major improvement, certainly, but it's an issue right now.

And don't forget that Barmore's problem is his relative weakness against the run. That's an area where it's theoretically possible to see major improvement, certainly, but it's an issue right now.

Plus, and I really like Lawrence Guy and everything he's accomplished here both on & off the field... But he might be regressing now...

Plus, and I really like Lawrence Guy and everything he's accomplished here both on & off the field... But he might be regressing now...
You guys are depressing me. Stop it.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back