PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post-Game Thread: Week 1 - Pats lose to Dolphins 17-16

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

I think most posters were tired of Sony and wanted him out of here, I think it will be interesting to see if JJ is active this week. One thing we both know, if a running back is going to fumble the GOAT is not going to play you.
People were tired of Sony for good reason, though the more important thing was probably the chance to get something for him in return. But, with regards to benching fumblers, BB can't be cutting off his nose to spite his face. If he wants to keep that hammer available, he needs to keep 4 RBs active, not 3.

Bedard was all over that final drive, both for the defense blowing that in general, and for the personnel in on the drive

Bedard:

Biggest disappointment out of the game was that, after all the changes, the team looked pretty much the same as last year, other than the QB. Expects that to change moving forward, but not happy with it in this game.

Bedard:

Not good enough.
Challenged Dolphins team
Tua was ok, but Mac was better
Can't lose these types of games

Bedard

Dolphins changed up a lot of what they did
Dolphins Backed off inside the red zone, daring Mac to try for the endzone, while, elsewhere, they went with pressure in order to try speeding up Jones

Bedard just made the same point about the RBs that I've been making.

If you're going to go with a rookie backup, you have to expect rookie problems. So either accept the problems or have another option.

Would have been the perfect game (week one, players still working into season) to do heavy rotation, rather than just beating the hell out of Harris.

Bedard was not happy with Jonnu Smith in this game. He listed off about half a dozen issues, including bad blocking, bad end around, bad routes, etc...

Bedard was not happy with Jonnu Smith in this game. He listed off about half a dozen issues, including bad blocking, bad end around, bad routes, etc...
Link?

@DropKickFlutie .......article in Boston.com re Patriots offence stuck in a rut ????

Can you say again, was there an article or link calling out the red zones woes going all the way since Brady's last season? I mean, it's so predictable, when we're in 11 personnel it's a pass and when in 12 personnel it's a run. And red zone we aren't fooling anyone. We should be doing play action every single passing play in the red zone.

I mean that's almost cuttable. Can't protect the ball and fumble, can't block. There are a lot of run-only RBs who basically never make it to the nfl.
Sure, because god knows,, no player has ever gotten better after their first game.

Bedard just made the same point about the RBs that I've been making.

If you're going to go with a rookie backup, you have to expect rookie problems. So either accept the problems or have another option.

Would have been the perfect game (week one, players still working into season) to do heavy rotation, rather than just beating the hell out of Harris.
This is so frustrating. It's more than obvious Rham is playing a big role. We have two bog boys to be decisive, power runners and two backs that are a better at rec (White) and can create (JJ) .

Putting Rham in the doghouse this early would be no bueno for everyone.
He was bad. Blocking in particular imo. Him and Henry have to be involved a lot more.

Flores wasn't doing circles around Bill but this is true.
Agreed, and it shouldn't be that surprising that Flores held his own and then some especially in the first game of the season. Flores appears to be a very competent coach, and he knows a heck of a lot more about his opponent (the Patriots) than BB does about Miami. Later on in the season when their is more tape that advantage will likely even out.

Probably a bigger factor is the uncharacteristically high number of penalties, and that may be due to the unusually high turnover of players from last year for the Patriots. The talent appears to be much greater, but they have to learn how to play together. The turnover from last year includes the return of the Covid opt-outs, the unprecedented (certainly for the Pats) number of high priced free agent additions, the loss of arguably their best player (Gilmore) and important roles for rookies like Mac, Barmore, and Stephenson.

Hunter was injured a lot during the pre season and camp, I think once he plays a few games, we'll see some really good things!!!!
Agreed. I hope Hunter can reclaim his elite blocking technique/skills. When he initially entered the league, he was a top 5-7 blocking TE, as well as an above average receiving threat. Now imagine that along with Jonnu. Health & execution..

Agreed. I hope Hunter can reclaim his elite blocking technique/skills. When he initially entered the league, he was a top 5-7 blocking TE, as well as an above average receiving threat. Now imagine that along with Jonnu. Health & execution..
What may, perhaps, have been the best part of Jones' game is that he largely overcame the struggles of his OL and TEs in blocking.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back