PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Texans

Immediate Postgame Reactions
Haha. Reese only did contracts???

You are delusional.

Reese (and O'Brien) was the reason the Pats hit big from 2009-2012 with DMac, Hightower, Chandler Jones, Patrick Chung, Gronk, Edelman, and pre-crime Hernandez.

zero coincidence the Pats sucked at drafting during 2005-2008 and 2013-2019 before and after Reese/O'Brien.

You have no real evidence to back up this claim.

The reason you play is to win. Stats accumulated while losing don’t mean much.
But if stats are your think, great, I prefer players to win games

Herbert didn't start 1-4, the Chargers did. W/L are a team accomplishment not a QB accomplishment.

Herbert did his part to win. He was "great". Mac at this point is a few notches below that level but hopefully he gets there.

4th and 3 against a defense that is looking to make a game-winning stand.

I thought that someone posted that the FG was like 35% and the pass on 4th and 3 was like 15%.
That’s all the more reason to tell your rookie QB to go for it. He’s “great” right? Let’s see what you got rook.
Instead BB did something different. Looks like BB has a different opinion of where Mac is right now.
aw come on man!

you really think BB is more interested in challenging his rookie QB to show his stuff than he is in WINNING THE GAME?

sheesh. I used to think you had a clue, this makes me wonder.
That decision has nothing do with his evaluation of the QB.
Not exactly. It reflects his evaluation of the QB, the kicker, field position, weather conditions, game plan and performance to that point in the game for both his offense and TB defense. Etc.
Sure it does. Think BB or Josh or whoever made that decision still elects to kick the low percentage FG if they still had Brady? I don’t.
I think you’re oversimplifying it, or succumbing to arrogance, if you think you know what decision they would have made. Remember fourth and two in Indy? Not calling TO at the goal line against Seattle? Bill is going to do whatever he thinks gives the best chance of winning. Having Brady instead of Mac will be a part of it, but not all. He’d also consider what they’ve got on offense and how TB will handle defending it, plus his confidence in Folk. I do think the choice would be going for it but I don’t think that choice is the slam dunk you think it is. I’d also expect that the enthusiasm about going for it would be tempered somewhat because Brady would’ve already failed to convert third down to put them in that position. It’s not all about Brady.

The fact that Mac was tge starting QB against the defending SB champs who just happen to have the the QB (GOAT) who played here for 20 years tells me what BB thinks of him. Oh and BTW if I remember correctly Mac lead the drive that put us in FG range. Just my 2 cents
You are new here so I will fill you in. This is called patsfans.com but for the most part it’s patshaters.com and the norm is to trash the team, coaches and players

Mac Jones is the least of our worries. And anyone making the argument otherwise is just grasping for straws
He is the least of the teams problems, many times for extended periods the offense, defense or special teams have taken turns playing like the key stone cops.... IMO Mac is one of the best players on the team

Crazy thing is, despite all the bad, negative things that have happened to the Pats this year, a lot of it self inflicted, if the Bills lose tonight, the Pats will be one game out. Insane.

Nope, but quite a rift, GOAT or suck
Nope he doesn't go for it or no he doesn't make it? I disagree on both. Brady makes it without a single doubt at all.

Herbert didn't start 1-4, the Chargers did. W/L are a team accomplishment not a QB accomplishment.

Herbert did his part to win. He was "great". Mac at this point is a few notches below that level but hopefully he gets there.
So Herbert wasn’t part of the team? He wasn’t playing to win? He was playing for nice stats?

Nope he doesn't go for it or no he doesn't make it? I disagree on both. Brady makes it without a single doubt at all.
He kicks.

After spending $160M in the off-season, I expected more from this team. IMO the record should be 4-1 instead of a weak 2-3. IMO only Mac Jones is delivering on the field that includes the coaches. The OL is terrible. The DL is getting better but should never have been so bad. Tackling is bad. Dropping the ball and fumbling is inexcusable. TE's are not worth the money as if yet. The running game is nothing to speak about. After $160 M they are a bottom dwelling team. Cam Neely should have been dumped earlier in training and replaced for a future backup. I was surprised he was brought back in the first place. Mac Jones, should be disappointed to be with the Pats but then he might not be playing elsewhere so he is frustrated and happy. He is setting himself up for his future. Pats are lucky to be in the AFL and in the AFL East with a 2-3 record that only has 1 professional NFL team, the Buffalo Bills.

BB is surrounded by a bad staff.

aw come on man!

you really think BB is more interested in challenging his rookie QB to show his stuff than he is in WINNING THE GAME?

sheesh. I used to think you had a clue, this makes me wonder.
Well it's either that, or he made a really bad decision as a coach to attempt the FG, for reasons discussed in the other topic.

They are rebuilding. This year isn't about winning a championship it's about finding out who you have in your new rookie QB and the new pieces on the team. Instead of taking the low percentage FG attempt tell your rookie QB to go for it and see what he has? It's 4th and 3 not 4th and 10. That defense was reeling. I know Brady would have gone for it and made it if he was here. I think Mac would have made it too.

I think you’re oversimplifying it, or succumbing to arrogance, if you think you know what decision they would have made. Remember fourth and two in Indy? Not calling TO at the goal line against Seattle? Bill is going to do whatever he thinks gives the best chance of winning. Having Brady instead of Mac will be a part of it, but not all. He’d also consider what they’ve got on offense and how TB will handle defending it, plus his confidence in Folk. I do think the choice would be going for it but I don’t think that choice is the slam dunk you think it is. I’d also expect that the enthusiasm about going for it would be tempered somewhat because Brady would’ve already failed to convert third down to put them in that position. It’s not all about Brady.
I understood the logic behind the 4th and 2 call at least. That was defensible. This IMO wasn't. I won't rehash it here, it was discussed in the other topic.

Unless TB stops him.

It could happen, whether you think so or not.

Unless TB stops him.

It could happen, whether you think so or not.
Yes it could. But why not give him that opportunity. What bugs me is some people people think Mac is so fragile and weak he can't handle failing in that spot so we can't put him in that situation. I'd like to know whether that's the case for our first round draft pick QB a lot sooner than later.

This is a bad team. There are no longer any moral victories to take from close losses to bad teams or scraping out a win against objectively the worst team in the league.

I wouldn't say the Bucs qualify as a "bad" team. Nor are the Saints. I don't even think the Dolphins are truly "bad", but they're not great.

Houston and NYJ are the two legitimately "bad" teams the Pats have played.

They effectively blew out NYJ.

As for today, yeah, it was ugly, but I'll take it for several reasons.

1. The Texans played above their average, especially in the 1st half (they regressed to the mean in the 2nd half, at least offensively).
2. This was a game ripe for a letdown. Road, low energy crowd, coming off an emotional, tough loss in a high visibility game. If you were drawing up a scenario for a letdown, that'd be it.
3. They won despite continuing to make the same costly mistakes that they've been making; penalties, turnovers. -1 turnover differential for the game, and the Harris fumble was effectively the equivalent of a pick-6. It's not often that you win games when you lose the turnover battle and give-up a 7 point swing on a single play, but the Pats managed to do it today.

You have no real evidence to back up this claim.

The evidence is looking at good players drafted exactly from 2009-2012, and looking at the pathetic drafts from 2013-2019 and 2005-2008. The evidence is in the list of players drafted and the year it took place. It tells an extremely clear story. Too many ohio roommate morons involved in the front office = bad talent acquisition for BB.

This was absolutely a gift wrapped win by the Texans. Patriots aren't good but the Texans are really really bad.

The offense had its moments but still too many fumbles drop passes and penalties for my liking. At least the offensive line held.

There's really nothing good I can say about the defense. They let a rookie quarterback and a practice squad guy shred them up. I can't imagine how bad next week's going to be when they play Dallas.

On the spectrum of "gift-wrapping" wins, where does 'fumbling away the ball at your opponent's 1/4 yard-line', fall? :whistle:

I know it's unrealistic to give much thought, but if the Bills lose to the Chiefs tonight, Pats will only be one game behind them for tops in the division with both games against them left this year.
LOL

Then why did you mark my post above with a disagree when I said it's a stretch to say he's been "great"? It's not wrong to say a bunch of his stats are bottom half of the league right now because well they are.

Did you stop to think that maybe there was a different part of your post that I disagreed with? I could see 4 different statements by you in that post that people could disagree with. Maybe you you stop assuming you know what other people are thinking. You're not good at it.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back