PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Jets

Immediate Postgame Reactions
The team is still a work in progress.

The defense was interesting because each phase stood out at different points. The Secondary stood out in the 1st half. The line was decent in the 3rd quarter and the LBers seemed to figure it out in the 4th quarter.

I dislike how they are using Bourne. He's not getting enough looks as the primary receiver.

I dislike the lack of killer instinct mentality on offense later in the game. Instead of driving it home, McDaniels and the offense played it too safe. Especially 1st and goal from the 4 or whatever. They ran it up the middle and then tried to run it outside Left and the Jets were waiting for them.. I said they needed to run outside RIGHT and they settled for Folk's 4th FG. I was also disappointed they didn't try a WR fade once in the Red Zone.

With Myers, Bourne, Smith and Henry, the SLANT should be a huge part of our offense. It's ridiculous that it's not. The Pats relied to much on the Screen pass and the Jets ate it up every time but 2.. That's not a good rate for the offense.

Today reaffirmed to me why the Pats need an upgrade at Center. Andrews failed to pick up the twisting or stunting DL every time. It's been the hole in his game since he got to NE and it hasn't improved at all.

Great to see Harris rebound after that Fumble.

On a different note, it sure looked to me that Berrios did NOT get both feet in on that sideline pass.. It looked like the one foot came down OOB. And the replay on CBS didn't seem to confirm anything. Really wish that BB had challenged it.

Usually Bentley is suspect; especially when Hightower is out. However, today I thought he played well considering. He had 8 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 PD & almost came away with a fumble recovery.

I know his tackle numbers make it seem like he didn't suck. But go back and watch the Jets runs and completions today. This guy whiffs on so many runs it's really bad. So many times Bentley took the wrong angle or was totally faked out by a runner. Bentley is basically a total waste of space out there. Would rather bench him and have Philips/Dugger play all his snaps.

Yeah, I don't want to go full DKF, but I do agree that the offensive play-calling doesn't seem great to me.

It's probably what a layperson would call "outsmarting yourself". My sense is that the offense often dictates tendencies based on formation, and it seems like the focus is on a very technical, strategic, "on-paper" play-call, but the outcome often seems a bit formulaic and stiff.

They need to get their best players on the field, in formations that give them flexibility and allow them to leverage matchups/space to get an advantage.

My hope is that the offense will evolve in that direction as the season goes on. This is the first time they've had two+ competent TEs in 3 years.

Hey, its great to have a win. But, they can't keep the offense on training wheels all year. The Jets are about the worst team in the league, and we won't luck into 4INTs a week. Starting next week it's time to open up a bit or we're going to quickly find ourselves 1-5. As always, it just seems like JMD is too cautious and doesn't seem to understand rhythm. We have to keep feeding the TE's more, and stay dedicated to Harris running.

They didn't "luck into 4 interceptions".. SMH.. The Pats MADE THOSE ERRORS HAPPEN.

Next week? Have you actually watched a single snap for the Saints? The only team worse than them, currently is the Jets.

Dominant on d, imagine if/when Gilmore returns. Front 7 looked nasty

Mac was pretty solid, very happy thus far

Offense was sloppy, if brown is out any further move onwenu to rt. But hopefully hes back soon. If the ol keeps the pocket clean our offense will look totally different

Jonnu needs to be better after the catch. Had some opportunities to make plays , last week was half a foot from breaking a long one, he’ll hopefully come through

Folk is incredible, missed xp but nailed the fgs including a long one

harris is a beast, but id like to see jj or whoever the #2 is get more handles. Its a 17 game season, i thought our last offensive series was a good chance to rest him when were already in fg range to put the game away

jcj is gonna get a nice payday if he continues to hold his own as a #1
The run defense is not too good. Bentley has played great.

A win is a win. We need to improve the RedZone offense. Our run defense needs work. McDaniels needs to open up the playbook. Mac is capable. FGs will not help us win, we need TDs!
Every positive point helps the team win the game. That being said, I agree in regards to both points. I was unhappy with the Redzone play-calling.. Not a single EZ Fade route? Not a single slant? No outside runs when you have one of the fastest backs in Taylor?

Just watched the replay again.

Bentley SUCKS. How many times is this guy going to whiff on a tackle or take the wrong angle and completely miss a guy. Give all of Bentley's snaps to Dugget or Philips. This season is reminding me way too much of 2005 with a one trick pony OC hell bent on getting our QB killed, and a defense that can't stop the run.

And needless to say Durant and Herron suck. RT is a big problem. Play Karras at LG and slide Onwenu to tackle.

Finally, the red zone woes have been 3 years in a row including Brady's last year. This oc is a one trick pony. Our offense is playing checkers while defenses are playing chess in the red zone. We need to increase the IQ level of our offensive coaching staff.
Bentley played pretty well considering godchaux is pretty bad

Bentley played pretty well considering godchaux is pretty bad

It's not just runs up the middle. Did you see the times someone caught the ball in front of Bentley and he totally whiffed on the tackle? Happened at least 4 times. A linebacker who cannot tackle is totally useless.

Usually Bentley is suspect; especially when Hightower is out. However, today I thought he played well considering. He had 8 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 PD & almost came away with a fumble recovery.
Bentley still over-ran several of the run plays, unfortunately. He is playing better, but still amounts to a JAG.

It's not just runs up the middle. Did you see the times someone caught the ball in front of Bentley and he totally whiffed on the tackle? Happened at least 4 times. A linebacker who cannot tackle is totally useless.

Yes the edge is not good too. Bentley had 9 tackles today woth 7 solo

Bentley still over-ran several of the run plays, unfortunately. He is playing better, but still amounts to a JAG.
The entire defense is a work in progress. I honestly didn't think Bentley would get this many snaps

Good news from what I have heard is that Trent Brown should be good to go next week. If Cajuste is healthy, I believe he would be the next in line

Cajuste was active for today's game.. Don't think he saw a snap, though.. Would have been nice for him to get time at RT since both Durant and Herron seemed to have issues there last week and this one.

The offense would benefit substantially from someone with speed opposite Agholor.

This team, with 2 great tight ends, would benefit from playing 2 tight ends at the line of scrimmage 75% of all offensive snaps. Instead of repeatedly going to crappy one trick pony shotgun, over and over, when you know your right tackle sucks.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back