PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread - Pats beat the Bengals

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Pats lost last 2 and Buffalo won last 2, wouldn't Pats have a worse division record?

So if buff lost last night that tiebreaker could have came into play.

Am I still missing something?

If that happens, after Buffalo won last night and if they won out, Buffalo would win with a better won-loss record.

But,not via tiebreakers.
If Buffalo lost last night it would be all over, due to the tiebreakers.

To put it in perspective, the only way Buffalo can win the division is with a better record. They can't through tiebreaker.

Maybe I'm wrong here - - please help me out to see what you're saying.

Post edit: OK, I see what you're saying - - - if Pittsburgh LOST last night, but won last two(Pats and Jets) and Pats lost last two (Buff and Mia) they would be tied and the Bills would be 5-1 in Division and Pats would be 4-2 in Division. Both teams having all their remaining games as divisional skews it.

Mea culpa to you - - my bad - you are entirely correct! :oops:

Last edited:
The unfortunate reality is that the NE passing game is dead and it will be hard to change that.

The good news for NE is that

a.) they are averaging 131 rushing yards and 5.1 YPC since Wynn is back
b.) they rarely turn the ball over
c.) they create turnovers and have a very good defense
d.) they have a good punter and can play the field position game

It can be a winning formula, just need to realize who we are.

If that happens, after Buffalo won last night and if they won out, Buffalo would win with a better won-loss record.

But,not via tiebreakers.

To put it in perspective, the only way Buffalo can win the division is with a better record. They can't through tiebreaker.

Post edit: OK, I see what you're saying - - - if Pittsburgh LOST last night, but won last two(Pats and Jets) and Pats lost last two (Buff and Mia) they would be tied and the Bills would be 5-1 in Division and Pats would be 4-2 in Division. Both teams having all their remaining games as divisional skews it.

NE wins the division by winning 1 more game. Doesn't matter what Buffalo does.

The unfortunate reality is that the NE passing game is dead and it will be hard to change that.

The good news for NE is that

a.) they are averaging 131 rushing yards and 5.1 YPC since Wynn is back
b.) they rarely turn the ball over
c.) they create turnovers and have a very good defense
d.) they have a good punter and can play the field position game

It can be a winning formula, just need to realize who we are.

Actually, Brady's ELBOW is dead. There were multiple reports by Hanable and others yesterday that Brady was wincing after every throw in warmups. He was godawful yesterday in the game. He is sailing throws and missing badly on short/touch throws. He is clearly also winding up more than he used to.

He needs rest. The bye would be crucial.

But that's also why he shouldn't been out there (along with Edelman). They did not need either of them yesterday. Those two are crucial down the stretch here and the week off could have been huge for them.

Just glad the people that were rooting for Buffalo to beat the Ravens were wrong. You first wrap up the division, which is still in play. The #2 seed is also in play unless Pats win out. Game on Saturday is huge since I doubt KC losses another one.

I noticed when our running game strings some good runs and first downs and we get over midfield, McD almost always calls plays out of a shotgun. It's maddening.

Our D is elite when we stay aggressive vs read and react. Even on running plays when our D gets after it they have a better chance. Our DL just don't have the strength to play 2 gap. Winning 1st downs is what gets this defense off on the field.

I noticed when our running game strings some good runs and first downs and we get over midfield, McD almost always calls plays out of a shotgun. It's maddening.

Our D is elite when we stay aggressive vs read and react. Even on running plays when our D gets after it they have a better chance. Our DL just don't have the strength to play 2 gap. Winning 1st downs is what gets this defense off on the field.

Is Alan Branch available?

You wouldn't believe all the Pat's fans there.

The whole stadium was chanting Brady. Not sure that Brady would get that kind of adulation anyplace other than NE and NY. Edelman received lots of fanfare as well. He took off his cleats leaving the field and gave them to some Pats fans. All around the visitors tunnel were NE fans.

But,not via tiebreakers.

This was an educational exchange for me between you two, that’s interesting to see how the tiebreaker will come into effect - so essentially even if NE loses to Buffalo next week, they’ll have an equal record (11-4 each) and an equal divisional record (4-1 each) - then the following week would both be playing another division game to close the season. If both win their final games, their record in each still remain tied, so the tiebreaker comes down to W/L versus common opponents, which NE would win.

So as @SBLIII said - NE just needs to win one of the next two games, doesn’t matter which one, and they win the division. But KC is only a game behind and holds the tiebreaker (head to head) for seeding so NE really can’t afford to drop any games if they want a bye week.

Early take on a rewatch on game pass is Wynn was really good in pass protection & Cannon was a mess again.

Early take on a rewatch on game pass is Wynn was really good in pass protection & Cannon was a mess again.

This is pretty much what I saw too. That right side has been weak for a while now.

The whole stadium was chanting Brady. Not sure that Brady would get that kind of adulation anyplace other than NE and NY. Edelman received lots of fanfare as well. He took off his cleats leaving the field and gave them to some Pats fans. All around the visitors tunnel were NE fans.
Miami was just like that in September, especially in the second half, after the 43-0 rout was on and all Dolphins fans fled. The 4th quarter "Brady, Brady" chant was excellent. Even the pregame tailgate had lots of Pats gatherings.

It's truly amazing. Same thing happened in DC and Miami this year and, to an extent in Houston.

Miami was just like that in September, especially in the second half, after the 43-0 rout was on and the 143 Dolphins fans fled. The 4th quarter "Brady, Brady" chant was excellent. Even the pregame tailgate had lots of Pats gatherings.

Fixed it for ya. ;)

Part of it may be that Mason is mightily battling through an injury most of this season and is nowhere near what he has been in the past. My guess is that Cannon is taking some additional responsibilities there.

Interesting observation by Dunn about Brady and his issues. He is anything but a hot take artist and for anyone not knowing him a hardcore x/0 person:

I can see where an elbow injury would affect just that.

Could it be that Brady still does not trust his receivers to run their routes correctly? If so then there often wouldn't be time for touch passes. Basically throwing as his receiver breaks instead of before they break.

Just glad the people that were rooting for Buffalo to beat the Ravens were wrong. You first wrap up the division, which is still in play. The #2 seed is also in play unless Pats win out. Game on Saturday is huge since I doubt KC losses another one.
How were they wrong? The thinking that you are more afraid of beating Buffalo at home than going into Baltimore is bizzare lol. If this team is a contender they will beat the Bills, if they aren't, then they won't.

I can't imagine a scenario where the Patriots lose to the Bills at home but, still win the Super Bowl. I just can't see it.

Yesterday was really the first time that I saw some semblance of an identity on offense since the first half of the Jets game. The jet sweep to spread the defense out east to west and get a LB out of that gap to help the ground game, seeing what kind of running lanes they can create by repeatedly trying on the right side, getting Harry on the go route and getting him operating in traffic, Burkhead’s role increasing, etc.

One thing I’d love to see them do in running situations is add another OL on the field. Especially in the absence of a true FB.

I don't care that it was the Bengals. We needed a solid win and some life in the offense. We got both. The kicking game seems to have stabilized. The D woke up after a slow start and made their usual adjustments and was spectacular. The O went right down the field and scored, which they've managed to do several times during this slump. Now if they could just find a way to script the 2nd, 3rd and 4th drives like they do the first, we'll be back in business. Big test on Saturday night. I'm liking that we are at home and the Bills have an even shorter week than we have, and it's their 2nd road game in a row. Their offense is terrible, but their D is legit.

How were they wrong? The thinking that you are more afraid of beating Buffalo at home than going into Baltimore is bizzare lol. If this team is a contender they will beat the Bills, if they aren't, then they won't.

I can't imagine a scenario where the Patriots lose to the Bills at home but, still win the Super Bowl. I just can't see it.

I wouldn't go that far. They very much could lose to the Bills and still win the Superbowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back