PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Giants @ Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Regarding Zappe should be noted he was our last of our 3 fourth round picks as we addressed possible replacements for James white and jc jackson first.

For expectations if Zappe develops into a capable backup qb to me id consider it a good pick. Starting qbs taken Day 3 like Brady, Prescott, Cousins are outliers (75% of current starters were selected R1). This pick was aimed at 2023 and beyond so let’s see how he looks next preseason.

I said this guy might be back...

Good call. I thought he might have been less than 100 percent and that is why bb cut him,

I thought he had talent, but needed more at least a red year year in our system.

So you're going to avoid talking about money for as long as possible I guess...
I never brought up money, but my view would be wait and see as opposed to dumping him and replacing him with someone who hasn't proven anything yet. Worked out pretty well with JE. Plus, I don't think trading him would garner all that awesome a return. A fifth at best maybe.

I considered it, and watched his throws, his arm isn't strong. Brees and Wilson are also undersized but both have hall of fame capabilities otherwise. I'm not putting Zappe in their category as I'm sure you really aren't either. So given Zappe's size, arm strength, and apparent tendency to throw with odd mechanics / arm angles, he need a lot of work with a highly qualified quarterbacks coach. From what I saw I would not have much confidence in Zappe as a backup quarterback right now.
Agree 100%. Zappes arm strength looked terrible and i also believe he was bailed out by great receiver play. Would not be shocked if he is a surprise addition to ps

I wouldn't underestimate the value of a 4th round backup QB. Do you see what the Cowboys have for backup QB? A Dak injury and they are toast.

A Mac injury here and we're also Toast... Zappe ain't that much better than Dallas' backups, if at all...

Agree 100%. Zappes arm strength looked terrible and i also believe he was bailed out by great receiver play. Would not be shocked if he is a surprise addition to ps
I'm not one to criticize draft picks after the fact, but will just throw out that Sam Howell taken a few picks later has been getting good reviews at tc in Washington and I thought looked far better in his first preseason action.
Always some hits and misses for every team..

I'm not one to criticize draft picks after the fact, but will just throw out that Sam Howell taken a few picks later has been getting good reviews at tc in Washington and I thought looked far better in his first preseason action.
I’ve not looked closely at Howell, but wonder if Zappe has more long term upside even if he’s not as impressive at the moment. Thing is, Zappe will be a developmental project, third string behind Hoyer this year. So I wouldn’t get too wound up over his very first snaps in a big time football program.

also, knowing the Washington team I’m skeptical about any decision they make being a good one. If they did make a good pick I have confidence they’ll screw him up. So let’s see whether Zappe or Howell looks better this time next year.

Meyers sure seems to be a controversial wide WR.

Using hindsight to criticize the order of draft picks is a fool's exercise, as it is a rare pick that couldn't be bettered by picking someone available later. Notably, every pick in the first 5 rounds of the 2001 draft was arguably a mistake in retrospect because Brady was available.

Meyers sure seems to be a controversial wide WR.
Fundamentally, this argument isn't actually about Meyers. It's the yearly cycle of people wildly overrating the potential of younger skill position players just because they haven't gotten a chance yet.

I like Meyers. It seems as though many see him as the equivalent of going 9-8, 8-9, 7-10 or having Kirk Cousins at QB. He is what he is…which is a solid receiver that has chemistry with Mac.

Using hindsight to criticize the order of draft picks is a fool's exercise, as it is a rare pick that couldn't be bettered by picking someone available later. Notably, every pick in the first 5 rounds of the 2001 draft was arguably a mistake in retrospect because Brady was available.
Wasn’t Brady the last pick of the round?

so, every pick in the first SIX rounds…

I never brought up money, but my view would be wait and see as opposed to dumping him and replacing him with someone who hasn't proven anything yet. Worked out pretty well with JE. Plus, I don't think trading him would garner all that awesome a return. A fifth at best maybe.
With the amount of quality WR’s they could likely be sitting on before they have to shave down to 53 a wait and see approach might not be available to them.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back