PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread- Dolphins beat the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cynic in me is whispering Bill will restock the D with the team's premium draft picks and big money FAs simply to prop his kids up.
Family first.
Kraft likely opened the door to all Belichicks in order to keep Bill around longer.
Wonder how comfortable Robert is with that decision (among others) right now?
It's a painful subject, I understand, and I don't feel great bringing it up, but it does have a fishy look about it. I thought that from the start. The phrase "an appearance of impropriety" comes to mind. He would have done better, I think, to have used his influence to get the kids a shot with a different team.

Have you ever seen a BB-designed defense with a "gap shooting" approach as it's foundation???? There are designed schemes within it to shoot specific gaps based on what's seen by the DC over the course of a game, but the BB scheme isn't specifically designed around that as its core approach. BB defenses instead occupy blockers, read, and react to the gap the runner cuts toward from sideline to sideline aka "Stringing out the run".
It would definitely be a departure from the usual defenses, but I agree with Reiss that it looks like it'd be a much better fit for who we think are the best players in the front 7. I don't think anybody here is dying to build around Beau Allen, JaWhaun Bentley, and Anfernee Jennings if it leaves Winovich and Uche in limited roles.

Now, this could also be as simple as getting Uche into an early down off-the-line role (that they seemingly gave up on after the SF game) and the addition and/or return to health of a big NT letting them shade the run defense to help Winovich a little. I think there are more question marks with that strategy, though.

what players stunk rookie year for the patriots that went on to become good?
So you don't think D. Harris is good? He didn't even see the field in his rookie year.

in the post flutie/pre bledsoe era the Patriots were one of the worst, if not the worst, franchise in the league. home games weren't on tv, the stadium was half full on a good day and they didn't even warrant highlights on the local sports on the 6 pm Sunday news. you'd have the anchor end the report after showing Celtics, Bruins, Golf, Tennis, etc highlights with..."And the Patriots lost 30-6 today down at Sullivan Stadium"- no video, no nothing. it was THAT bad. I don't think people realize how bad it's going to get if they don't hit on the next draft, this draft (jury still out) or work some trade magic and somehow get a QB who can throw more than 5 TD passes through 14 games. local tv ratings the next 2 games will be rock bottom.
The difference now is that we're coming off of the greatest run in NYFL history, not going from one unsuccessful era to another. This team provided us with a lifetime of great memories. More than many NYFL teams combined. In fact, the Pats have stored up so much good will with me that complaining is totally out of the question... unless Cant Newton is the QB next year. ;)

So you don't think D. Harris is good? He didn't even see the field in his rookie year.
One of the benefits that I have by not being a fan of the NCAA is that the first time I see draft picks is the first time I ever see them. I don't have any preconceived notions about them or feel the need to declare some other player the better choice.

I also realize that some players take more time to develop than others and I don't complain when a pick doesn't produce right away. Harris is a great example of a player who probably benefitted from a learning year. He's a keeper.

I asked specifically what players stunk up rookie year who went on to become good?

Being injured doesn’t count

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing