PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Colts beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

I think the point the poster was making is that Wentz had extremely favorable circumstances last night and couldn't produce.
Indy was playing with a lead the entire game, at home without crowd noise, and with a strong running attack/offensive line; all of those variables should make things much easier for the quarterback, and despite that, Wentz was inaccurate, flustered, and missed some throws. In other words, Wentz didn't look very good at quarterback in spite of all the variables that should have made it easier for him to have success. Mac Jones, on the other hand, looked significantly better than Wentz under considerably more adverse circumstances.

As you pointed out, Indy won the game because the outcome relies on more than only the performance of the quarterback.

I'd feel great about a rematch with them. Eliminate the turnovers, blocked punt, and the offside penalty on the FG attempt, and that's a game the Patriots win.
I get his point, but it means nothing in context. I agree, Wentz isn’t that good. He was tough in the game tho. He was a good cheerleader.

if ab, to, draymond, moss, anybody else runs to the opponents sideline to cuss them out… it’s toxicity. Brady does it it’s balls.

given that double standard, I hope Mac in the coming years takes advantage of it to the teams benefit. He appears to be trying to assume this stoicism that isn’t really…earned. Just his presence during the game. That’s for the coaches not him. I’ll leave it alone cause it’s year one but by year three a performance like that should have him pissed as they’re all in drugs and stimulants during those games anyway.

2c.

I get his point, but it means nothing in context. I agree, Wentz isn’t that good. He was tough in the game tho. He was a good cheerleader.

if ab, to, draymond, moss, anybody else runs to the opponents sideline to cuss them out… it’s toxicity. Brady does it it’s balls.

given that double standard, I hope Mac in the coming years takes advantage of it to the teams benefit. He appears to be trying to assume this stoicism that isn’t really…earned. Just his presence during the game. That’s for the coaches not him. I’ll leave it alone cause it’s year one but by year three a performance like that should have him pissed as they’re all in drugs and stimulants during those games anyway.

2c.

You're making an assumption about his demeanor. Who knows what Mac is actually thinking. I've seen him getting off the bench and motivating teammates against Miami earlier in the season, and he did the same against Indy at one point. Led them to a 17-point comeback in the 4th quarter. He also just didn't look well to my eye, looked like he ate something bad ... but that's an assumption too. Mac had a bad 2-1/2 quarters but came to life during the back-end of that game and played very well.

4th and 1 (twice). They did not do a QB sneak...
Nor should they have since the Colts had two big boys lined up in the "A" Gaps both times.

He hit the receiver before the ball arrived. Textbook pass interference. Having the right to the ball does not mean you can hit the receiver. Ever.
I don’t know. Looked like the collision happened right when the ball arrived. I’d have to see a frame-by-frame to see if Sendejo initiated contact a split second before the ball hit their hands, so I couldn’t expect a ref to know that real time. But there’s no excuse for a ref not seeing the helmet-to-helmet contact…

I don’t know. Looked like the collision happened right when the ball arrived. I’d have to see a frame-by-frame to see if Sendejo initiated contact a split second before the ball hit their hands, so I couldn’t expect a ref to know that real time. But there’s no excuse for a ref not seeing the helmet-to-helmet contact…
Sendejo was there a half second before the ball arrived. He went THROUGH Harry to get his hands on the ball. Sendejo actually knocked himself out on the play.. You could see him go limp after the contact before he hit the ground.

Lmao people who said earlier in the thread about the team looked like they had a bad week of practice were spot on, the players themselves admitted it, it was not hard to tell from the fans either, it seems. I wonder if the coaches just kinda let it happen to teach all the younger guys a lesson of "told ya so".

Belichick confirmed Jones comments on a poor week of practice. This is one area where Belichick doesn’t mind if players speak out, they are simply being accountable, and he wants that. Now if the player was pointing to other player’s but exempting himself I think it would be a different story.

Sendejo was there a half second before the ball arrived. He went THROUGH Harry to get his hands on the ball. Sendejo actually knocked himself out on the play.. You could see him go limp after the contact before he hit the ground.
I just went back and watched it about 15 times. They arrived at the ball at the exact same time. I’m just trying not to be an annoying homer, and, objectively, Sendejo did not hit him early. Even if he was just hitting Harry and not playing the ball, it shouldn’t be PI. If they had just hit shoulders, I’d say it should have been a “no call”. However, Sendejo initiated helmet-to-helmet contact while playing the ball, knocking himself out (as you say). So, it should have been a 15-yard personal foul. Very dangerous play. I just don’t think it was PI…

I just went back and watched it about 15 times. They arrived at the ball at the exact same time. I’m just trying not to be an annoying homer, and, objectively, Sendejo did not hit him early. Even if he was just hitting Harry and not playing the ball, it shouldn’t be PI. If they had just hit shoulders, I’d say it should have been a “no call”. However, Sendejo initiated helmet-to-helmet contact while playing the ball, knocking himself out (as you say). So, it should have been a 15-yard personal foul. Very dangerous play. I just don’t think it was PI…
I know what you're saying. In slow motion though, he makes contact with Harry's head before the ball gets there so it should be PI. However in real-time it was close enough that I can't really fault them for missing it. But I do fault them for missing the personal foul

It’s the refs job to see and it’s clear that contact happened before ball.

They didn’t arrive at the ball, Sendejo hit Harry. Then the ball hit Harry. That is textbook PI. You cannot make contact with the receiver before the ball arrives.
Absolutely no way it was at the same time. Stop the tale when the contact occurs, the ball is not there yet.

I know what you're saying. In slow motion though, he makes contact with Harry's head before the ball gets there so it should be PI. However in real-time it was close enough that I can't really fault them for missing it. But I do fault them for missing the personal foul
That’s exactly where I’m at. I haven’t been able to see a good enough replay, but the slo-mo that they showed on the broadcast looks like the ball and players arrive at the same time. But I’m going to drop it b/c I don’t want to sound like a whiny little b1+c4, complaining about the refs. There were a lot of real things we did wrong to lose us that game. The Bills are gonna get killed this weekend…

2c.
There's a reason no rookie (Warner was technically one, but) has won a Super Bowl.

Everybody (except Raymond Berry) knew Super Bowl XX was over before the opening kickoff because he started Tony Eason. Granted, Eason was in his third year, but anybody with eyes (besides Raymond Berry) clearly saw the Patriots were not a playoff team without Grogan, and only won with Eason despite Eason being mediocre. Like Bledsoe, he could throw a football. Even if the Patriots had a 15-6 positive turnover ratio in New Orleans, they still weren't going to run the ball vs. the Bears like they had against inferior AFC opponents.

The chasm between Bledsoe or Woodley and Plunkett or Montana is Grand Canyon sized.

So here we are. If we make it back to SoFi, we will be deservedly gigantic underdogs. Winning there would be unprecedented and historic.

So what we have to ask ourselves is, what can/will Belichick and his staff do to support this kid. To prepare him. The Super Bowl is no ordinary game. Whatever they do, they had better be doing it already. Mac will have growing pains for the next three years, no matter what.

For some of these Patriots, this is their last hurrah. I personally would like to see those veterans step it up. In a huge way. Right now. Winning a championship is as much about attitude as it is about technique. Belichick rarely does unusual things to motivate his team; he likes to play it steady as she goes. I think the Patriots as a team have to make up their minds now if they're serious about making the sacrifices necessary to be the last one standing. It's not comfortable, and often not pleasant. It's entirely understandable how crushed Belichick was at the postgame Saturday night.

Some Barmore love....this is a great play:

Great example. This is why they won 7 straight when Barmore was getting the most DLine snaps, plus double teams, and why the team is 2-5 when Godchaux is getting the most DLine snaps and getting his a-s kicked. Stop playing politics because Godchaux has a horrifically bad expensive contract, do what's best for the team and always play Barmore over Godchaux. Godcrap is NOT a nose tackle.

Wentz isn’t that good.
I was curious, so I looked it up. Wentz has a higher traditional passer rating, higher QBR, lower int%, and higher td% than Jones. He does have a lower ypa than Jones, which is a pretty important stat. But on average, Wentz has been a better qb this year. Seems we witnessed a bad game from Wentz, and it sounds like he’s usually mistake-free, but when he has a bad game, it’s epically bad. That should be fun to watch in the playoffs!

Great example. This is why they won 7 straight when Barmore was getting the most DLine snaps, plus double teams, and why the team is 2-5 when Godchaux is getting the most DLine snaps and getting his a-s kicked. Stop playing politics because Godchaux has a horrifically bad expensive contract, do what's best for the team and always play Barmore over Godchaux. Godcrap is NOT a nose tackle.
Love me some Godchaux as well...there is room for both on the line. Barmore is going to be an absolute stud though!!!!!

Love me some Godchaux as well...there is room for both on the line. Barmore is going to be an absolute stud though!!!!!

I don't mind Godchaux as long as we know what he is. He's an average DE. He is not a nose tackle. And he has a really expensive contract for his actual talent. Let's stop playing him at nose tackle and then giving up 270 yards and 225 rushing yards.

Team was 7-0 with Barmore getting the most DLine snaps. Keep doing that.
Team is 2-5 with Godchaux getting the most DLine snaps

Barmore is a great player but you have no idea what you're talking about with Godchaux.

Even if your thesis was correct that Godchaux sucks (which isn't true; he's been anywhere from OK to good), the incessant repeating of it is, 1.) annoying, and 2.) means that at some point you'll be wrong, because good players have bad games and bad players have good games.

It's as if you have no actual interest in analyzing what occurs on the field on a play-by-play basis. You just form these extremely rigid, black-and-white opinions of players based on what I'm assuming is your first impression or something that catches your eye, and you then latch-onto those opinions and repeat them incessantly, regardless of what on-field performance actually indicates.

It's probably less productive to tell you that your observations are inaccurate, than it is to tell you that any black-and-white, either/or way of understanding the performance of football teams/players (or reality in general) most likely won't get you near the truth. The devil is in the details, the story is told in the grey-area, and forming accurate opinions about player(s)/team(s) requires a lot of meticulous observation and analysis, not only of what is happening on the field, but of one's own assumptions/opinions.

Barmore is a great player but

I appreciate the long post. But it's funny when people talk about Godchaux's good game when the Pats gave up 270 rushing yards. He's one of those players who gets high tackles on a crappy run defense. Exactly like in Miami. He got high tackle numbers and Miami had a bad run defense.

And the Pats have been porous every time he leads the DLine in snaps. During the 7 game winning streak it was Barmore leading in snaps

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back