PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Bills beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

not to disagree or be a contrarian, but I've read where receivers talk about Mac throwing very easy to catch balls and he just floated it up there with too much air allowing Micah to make that great play. NFL safeties are fast and can close the gap quickly. Don't know if this speaks to Mac's arm strength or choice of delivery but while I agree with your take on Agholor not fighting for the ball, I do think it floated too much for the NFL.
This is what im wondering. If that has more behind it then Hyde can't get there.

In the 3 loses leading up to the Bills game, the Pats never had the lead, yet they chose to give the Bills the ball to start the game...dumb
Ya I have no idea the thinking behind that? Especially after the last game where they didn't punt. I can't think of one logical explanation. I also read the Bills scored on 1st possession in almost half of their games this year. Why would we punt?

The only way that pass could have been better is if it's 2' longer and Agholor has to dive for it. He was speeding up in the last few strides to catch up to it. He also had no opportunity to fight for it, it wasn't a jump ball situation, both guys were sprinting straight ahead to reach it. The QB and WR both made good plays, and the DB made a sensational play.

Ya I have no idea the thinking behind that? Especially after the last game where they didn't punt. I can't think of one logical explanation. I also read the Bills scored on 1st possession in almost half of their games this year. Why would we punt?
I agree that in this game we should have taken the ball first, and also gone for it on 4th and 2 near midfield in the 2nd quarter. Can't be falling behind by 14 or 20 points and expect to play catchup.

Look..it was a giant shyt sandwich last night and we all have to take a bite and move FORWARD. I'm looking forward with optimism. In September I posted I thought this team would go 5/12 or 6/11 at best. They exceeded my expectations. Now yes, I'm disappointed they lost and lost so badly last night but, like the team that followed the 2009 Ravens playoff debacle, this squad WILL bounce back better.

Hey...how about that? BOUNCE BACK BETTER! The Pats can show Joe how it's done...

Looks like Hyde was already moving that way when the ball was thrown.

But his responsibility on the play was over the top support for the CB. Looks like he was late on that.

There's a lot to think about. eh? What are the takeaways? What do I know: not much! But here's what I think. Most of it is obvious; the rest is probably erroneous:

1) Mac is not as good as Josh Allen, and he's not likely ever to be. But he's good enough already to get into the playoffs - that's proven - so in the near term at least - a few years? - we do not "have a quarterback problem." Last year, when we had that stumblebum Cam launching random eephus shots all over the ball yard, we did, but we no longer do. Mac is good enough, which, if you can put a decent team around him is ... good enough.

2) The jury is emphatically out on Steve and Jarrod (et al) as NFL-level defensive coaches. I say the jury is out rather than 'they blow" because...

3) The defense is old and slow. Hightower is past it, and the LB's as a group are sub-par and slow as molasses. The secondary is sub par, particularly, taken as a group, the corners. There's more reason for hope with the safeties. We need one more YOUNG dynamic pass rusher who can be at least serviceable against the run. Judon kinda c--pp-d out at the end there. He is what he is, or was, and what he is is pretty good but clearly not all we thought it might be early on. Keep him, but get a plan B.

4) A few players are just hopeless. N'Keal is irreparably bad. Wynn is worth keeping but he will never be what we hoped. He lacks focus and discipline, and he can't hack any sort of adversity, healthwise or otherwise. I hoped for a while that Jonnu would get his head out of youknowwhere, but evidently it's superglued up in there. Agholor is hopeless, and way overpaid. Cut your losses and get rid of him. I don't even think he's trying, tbh.

4) This team does NOT have a #1 receiver, nor does it have anybody who shows any realistic prospect of becoming one. If we have a slot guy, I'm not sure who that might be. We have ONE decent tight end, and one only, The second one is not presently on the roster, and we need to go get him.

5) I think Josh is an excellent coordinator, but he has GOT to let Mac have the reins more going forward, and avoid getting seduced by his cautiousness into the run-run-pass trap.

6) The season was a success, given the improvement, but the rebuilding is far from done. I expect about the same sort of result next year. What this team is thereafter will be determined by the off season, by the team's success at replacing a significant number of players who are past it, or about to be, or just no d---d good.

I got criticism for pointing out every unit of the Bills was better than ours except OL. It turns out I was wrong. Literally every unit is better than ours.

Time to make some tough choices on guys like Hightower, Collins, KVN. I’m tired of the Isiah Wynn and NKeal Harry experiments as well. 2022 might be the actual rebuilding so don’t expect much next year either.

but you know what? Heavy be the crown. I hope the Bills enjoy an off-season of losing coaches and free agents left and right. Here’s to watching them maybe make it to another super bowl and lose.

But his responsibility on the play was over the top support for the CB. Looks like he was late on that.
If that’s true, Mac needs to get the ball there faster.

Not a bad bomb by Mac but a killer int. Would have been a 7-7 game, wonder if its a different game after that…
If the throw was to the other side I think the CB would have had a play. Hyde snuck in the backdoor to make the pick. The thing that gets me is that Agholor did nothing to break up the play.

Something weird happened last night. I don’t know how to rationalize it. This defense isn’t THAT bad. It really didn’t make sense. They looked absolutely horrendous. That was quite literally the worst defensive performance in nfl history.
But if they truly were way too slow and old, etc… there’s simply no way they could have been that effective this year. If they were so slow and old, they would have had to have been a very bad defense.
I get that a mediocre defense can unravel against great competition in the playoffs.
I don’t think you can get exposed as being the worst defense in the nfl if you were a good defense.
If I’m to believe they’re close to as bad as last night looked, it doesn’t make sense that they didn’t struggle way more this year. It’s difficult to know how to view them going into the offseason

Maybe the age of defense starts to show during the cold weather . And we beat real bad teams with poor Qb play . With all good QBs we lost. This is a long season and as the season wears on the tires and tread on all our veterans starts to wear more and hence the poor effort. Add to the fact Judon, dugger and barmore were injured. Perfect recipe for disaster.

It isn't $5 million receiver. It is $5 million receiver in cap space in 2022. Personally I think they can find a much better WR than Agholor for that much cap space.

The cap is likely going to explode 2023 and beyond. We already know that the TV deals that kick in starting 2023 are significantly higher than the current deals and they still haven't sold the Sunday Ticket package which could be significantly higher because they are going to sell the streaming rights separately. I think a lot of teams are going have more backloaded contracts this free agency.
Maybe we aim for Godwin.

He got faked out of his jock by Allen on one of his runs. The same exact situation came up in the last Bills' game but with a different player. Allen faked like he was going to cut to the middle and that froze the defender and opened up the left side for a big gain.

Speaking of Allen running, is it me or does he favor running to his left?
I think I read it was 60/40 so..."sorta"?

Maybe the age of defense starts to show during the cold weather . And we beat real bad teams with poor Qb play . With all good QBs we lost. This is a long season and as the season wears on the tires and tread on all our veterans starts to wear more and hence the poor effort. Add to the fact Judon, dugger and barmore were injured. Perfect recipe for disaster.
We did almost win against brady and dak, though. And we beat Herbert. There was just such an extreme drop off last night

We did almost win against brady and dak, though. And we beat Herbert. There was just such an extreme drop off last night
The old mens’ joints started to stiffen up in the extreme cold.

We need a new blood on
I’m going to say the 2021 Patriots were one of the most identity-less teams I’ve ever seen. No, it isn’t a negative moniker. I just have absolutely no idea how good they actually were.
  • They had one of the best point differentials in the NFL but went just 10-8.
  • They annihilated ****ty teams like the Jets and Jags, and they won easily against middle-lower class teams, but they went 3-8 against teams with winning records.
  • It seemed they underachieved much of the season. But during their 7-game winning streak, their overachieving was on a historic level, as they played way above themselves.
It seems like for every statement you make about this team, there’s a counter statement.
Your on fire recently.

Frankly I think the way we couldn't stop the Bills anyways, might as well have had both of them in there to put a good licking on Josh Allen a few times.

Josh Allen is playing with reckless abandon because he hasn't taken those hits yet. I don't know. Maybe his frame helps him avoids those.
Lol the dude is 6'5" and 240lbs as a QB. If you hit him you will need to square up but IF drops last second you just added 15 yards on his run and a 1st down. The defense is always at a disadvantage at this. Like which 190lb db is going to make that business decision and still allow 15 more yards for the flag happy NFL?

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back