PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Bills beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

When you see the cap hits for Agholor and Smith and compare this to their production and targets they are the worst signings. When your top paid players are invisible like this it’s going to be tough to get the talent you need. Our OC needs to think how he can get them more involved
They combine for 800 yards and 4 TD with listed at 27 Million combined cap hit
Damn

When you see the cap hits for Agholor and Smith and compare this to their production and targets they are the worst signings. When your top paid players are invisible like this it’s going to be tough to get the talent you need. Our OC needs to think how he can get them more involved
They combine for 800 yards and 4 TD with listed at 27 Million combined cap hit
Idk. DogChaux gives them a pretty good run for the money.

need some real talent at WR. Someone that would command a double team or stretch the field. Makes everyone else better

There's a lot to think about. eh? What are the takeaways? What do I know: not much! But here's what I think. Most of it is obvious; the rest is probably erroneous:

1) Mac is not as good as Josh Allen, and he's not likely ever to be. But he's good enough already to get into the playoffs - that's proven - so in the near term at least - a few years? - we do not "have a quarterback problem." Last year, when we had that stumblebum Cam launching random eephus shots all over the ball yard, we did, but we no longer do. Mac is good enough, which, if you can put a decent team around him is ... good enough.
Whelp, if we compare their rookie seasons, Mac is off to a much better start. Josh Allen has been playing lights out against us, no doubt about it. Let’s see how he plays the rest of the postseason before we all get too carried about his greatness. He’s hot right now, no doubt about it.
2) The jury is emphatically out on Steve and Jarrod (et al) as NFL-level defensive coaches. I say the jury is out rather than 'they blow" because...
Yeah. Agreed here. It’s hard to fault coaches for calling games the way they do without taking into account the talent they have to work with. If the front 7 was better against the run, would they call a more aggressive game? If they had guys that could match up man to man all game long, would they not be so willing to get exposed in zone?
3) The defense is old and slow. Hightower is past it, and the LB's as a group are sub-par and slow as molasses. The secondary is sub par, particularly, taken as a group, the corners. There's more reason for hope with the safeties. We need one more YOUNG dynamic pass rusher who can be at least serviceable against the run. Judon kinda c--pp-d out at the end there. He is what he is, or was, and what he is is pretty good but clearly not all we thought it might be early on. Keep him, but get a plan B.
This has been an issue for a while now. The DL constantly getting pushed back, allowing guards to get to the second level, moved out of their gap control at will. Godchaux, Davis, and Guy were a let down. They had their moments, but never were able to control a game. The LB’s are an absolute ****ing mess. HT, and Collins disappear far too often. Bentley is a one trick pony, and needs to have his role reduced. Wino and Uche need to either make it on the field with us, or be traded. KVN was solid. As far as the DB’s go, if we can get Jones back healthy, and find a way to keep JC, I think it’s a solid group. Not amazing, but solid. Starting line up of JC, Mills, Jones is decent. Throw in a blue chip rookie and I think the future is good there. I’d love to keep McCourty in a reduced role, but doubtful it happens. Phillips and Dugger are a good fit for us. Oh, and regarding Judon and Barmore, get them some help Bill!! If we can find a way to get Flowers back, that would help IMO.
4) A few players are just hopeless. N'Keal is irreparably bad. Wynn is worth keeping but he will never be what we hoped. He lacks focus and discipline, and he can't hack any sort of adversity, healthwise or otherwise. I hoped for a while that Jonnu would get his head out of youknowwhere, but evidently it's superglued up in there. Agholor is hopeless, and way overpaid. Cut your losses and get rid of him. I don't even think he's trying, tbh.
100% agree on Harry and Wynn. Wynn can flash, but also has a cold streak to him. The injuries and mental mistakes….ugh. Not a big fan of how Agholor and Smith turned out. I am hopeful that they can find a way to get both more involved going forward. I think Macs continued development will help with that. We were really missing out on the ability to go 4 wide and sling it around, hardly ran the no huddle. This allowed teams to just stack the box and defend our old school style of football. Going into his second season, Mac should be able to have the skill set to run a more unpredictable offense.
4) This team does NOT have a #1 receiver, nor does it have anybody who shows any realistic prospect of becoming one. If we have a slot guy, I'm not sure who that might be. We have ONE decent tight end, and one only, The second one is not presently on the roster, and we need to go get him.
Agreed again. You’re on fire!! We need to go out there and get ourselves a true shifty slot receiver. As stated before, I think Smith will develop into a solid TE for us. Im hopeful at least. Bourne needs to be elevated in this system in year 2. They have to find a way to get him more involved. Myers is Mr. dependable, but damn it do we need a guy or 2 that can get some separation quickly.
5) I think Josh is an excellent coordinator, but he has GOT to let Mac have the reins more going forward, and avoid getting seduced by his cautiousness into the run-run-pass trap.
Josh is at his best when he can be gameplan specific. This team was so predictable. Hard to think that’s on Josh and more on the personnel he was working with. Number one being a rookie QB.
6) The season was a success, given the improvement, but the rebuilding is far from done. I expect about the same sort of result next year. What this team is thereafter will be determined by the off season, by the team's success at replacing a significant number of players who are past it, or about to be, or just no d---d good.
Great, thoughtful post Thelonius.

This was either a collapse or a team that overachieved because they had a stretch where they played poor banged up teams. There is no inbetween here. Pick one. I personally think the pats were paper tigers. If you look at their win streak it's extremely easy to see how and why they won those games... Same with the losses. The evidence is right in front of you. You can choose to acknowledge it or ignore it.
I've been saying it for the past 2 months. They were a 7-10 team at heart. Titans, Panthers, Falcons, Browns - all those teams were not only missing KEY STARTERS on both offense and defense - but their RUNNING BACKS were ALSO INJURED - and we have a bad run defense!

If healthy, we drop 2-3 of those games, so by the time we play Buffalo, they probably don't choke against us.

I agree that in this game we should have taken the ball first, and also gone for it on 4th and 2 near midfield in the 2nd quarter. Can't be falling behind by 14 or 20 points and expect to play catchup.
100%. Given how the Bills had played us the previous game and the first drive in this game, you gotta be aggressive.

Mac was the least of our problems last night....he'll be fine going forward....he actually played well last night.
I agree, so much talk about him and that INT while in reality I doubt he or most QBs, could have kept up with Buffalos scoring.

Allen had a QB performance of a lifetime, team didn’t punt, we didn’t even force a FG.

It was a ugly loss, time to move onto free agency!

Josh Allen is 6-5 240 and runs a 4.7. For a QB that is insane.

The only QBs in NFL history with his size that ran like he does now are Steve McNair, Cam, Daunte Culpepper and Tim Tebow but the main difference is they aren't on the same planet in terms of being as good of a passer.
Follow-up.

For McNair, Culp, Cam (and Tebow) all of them became complimentary players by the time they hit 30. They were then past their primes.

Allen is 25. Hope he has a healthy career but he is following the same path.

Follow-up.

For McNair, Culp, Cam (and Tebow) all of them became complimentary players by the time they hit 30. They were then past their primes.

Allen is 25. Hope he has a healthy career but he is following the same path.
We'll see. Allen will be a thorn here well after BB hangs em up. He'll be a threat to run for another 5 years, at which point I imagine he'll lean more on his arm.

He made some spectacular throws last night. Places our DBs couldn't make plays. We have to get another quality WR and a few pieces on D to combat Allen. I think we'll be okay.

I’m not saying the injury was devastating. Just hampering, if there is one. There’s also adrenaline involved with running away from 250-300 pound men.
Hard to imagine any full time ayer without some "injury" or pain

We'll see. Allen will be a thorn here well after BB hangs em up. He'll be a threat to run for another 5 years, at which point I imagine he'll lean more on his arm.

He made some spectacular throws last night. Places our DBs couldn't make plays. We have to get another quality WR and a few pieces on D to combat Allen. I think we'll be okay.
Allen is great.

Kinda reminds me of back in the early 80s when this kid Marino started doing some things and this other guy named Kelly in BUF torched us in the late 80s and early 90s. In both instances we overcame because the defense stepped up.

Sad reality is Allen is the best QB in AFC East not named Brady since Dan Marino in the late 90s.

The question is if he’ll take so many hits that it’ll kill his arm, too. Cam had a gun once.

So far, so good for Allen, and he’s got as good a chance as anyone to win a SB this year. But past history doesn’t bode well. Maybe he’ll be the exception.

The question is if he’ll take so many hits that it’ll kill his arm, too. Cam had a gun once.

So far, so good for Allen, and he’s got as good a chance as anyone to win a SB this year. But past history doesn’t bode well. Maybe he’ll be the exception.
Seems inevitable, he initiates contact a fair amount. True on Newton. Biggest difference I see between him and Cam is Allen can deliver an accurate ball. Newton seemed to use his athleticism to extend the play and get receivers open. Allen is just a better pure passer.

At any rate, Allen is a stud. He played very well, and we have a legit QB to worry about.

Fortunately, our Mac guy is pretty good.

Seems inevitable, he initiates contact a fair amount. True on Newton. Biggest difference I see between him and Cam is Allen can deliver an accurate ball. Newton seemed to use his athleticism to extend the play and get receivers open. Allen is just a better pure passer.

At any rate, Allen is a stud. He played very well, and we have a legit QB to worry about.

Fortunately, our Mac guy is pretty good.
Warren Sapp doesn’t think so.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back