PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Bengals beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Which is more damning for the coaching? This being ridiculously stupid play design or that players don’t even know what routes to run on plays.

If the players didn’t know what route to run that 100% on Mac Jones. He is the one relaying the plays to the offense and it’s his responsibility to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Last edited:
The thing is that if Stevenson didn't fumble away the ball on first and goal with 55 seconds left down by four with the Bengals with no time outs left, this defensive game plan might have cost them the game.

I know you are trying to say this to trash Jones, but it wasn't Jones who cost the Patriots the game and he played really well in the second half after Patricia took the governor off of him and Kendrick Bourne.
What costed the Bengals was not their defensive plan but the number of mistakes they did in the 2nd half on offense. They dropped like 1-2 TD, Burrow and chase miscommunications on the pick 6 even if Burrow should have never throw that ball and take a sack.

If Burrow take a sack right there, there is no comeback.

You are passionate (to say the least) about the Patriots. That is a good thing. You have nothing to apologize for.

I think you misunderstood Ian though. It seemed he was trying to be helpful.

Anyway, 1981 is the first season I really remember. 1981! One of the worst teams ever, yet I became a lifer.
That‘s because you like to be chastised :D

If the players didn’t know what route to run that 100% on Mac Jones. He is the one relaying the plays to the offense and it’s his responsibility to make sure everyone is on the same page.

What was he supposed to do? When he calls an audible, is he supposed to go to each player and ask them what their responsibility is before he hikes the ball? I mean I am sure they will extend the play clock to let him walk up to each player and spend 20-30 seconds with each player.

If the receivers are not lining up in the right formation, that is on the QB. If the QB calls an audible and it changes the receiver’s route, but not the formation. It is on the receiver to know the route adjustment, not the QB. The QB cannot read a receiver’s mind to tell if he knows his adjustment.

Last edited:
What costed the Bengals was not their defensive plan but the number of mistakes they did in the 2nd half on offense. They dropped like 1-2 TD, Burrow and chase miscommunications on the pick 6 even if Burrow should have never throw that ball and take a sack.

If Burrow take a sack right there, there is no comeback.

So it was Joe Burrow fault that Mac Jones played well in the second half. Jones didn’t play well in the second half, it was Burrow making Jones look good.

So it was Joe Burrow fault that Mac Jones played well in the second half. Jones didn’t play well in the second half, it was Burrow making Jones look good.
Mac Jones didn’t play well in the second half. He had one good drive in the 4th quarter and a ton of luck on the Hail Mary. That’s about it. I would say he had a good 4th quarter but since when a quarter = to a half?

They had 70 yards on offense after the mid point of the 3rd and they didn’t pass midfield until the end of the 3rd quarter! I mean come on.

Last edited:
Mac Jones didn’t play well in the second half. He had one good drive in the 4th quarter and a ton of luck on the Hail Mary. That’s about it. I would say he had a good 4th quarter but since when a quarter = to a half?

They had 70 yards on offense after the mid point of the 3rd and they didn’t pass midfield until the end of the 3rd quarter! I mean come on.

The “Hail Mary” hit the receiver in the hands. And he would have had another TD if Thornton didn’t drop a nicely thrown deep ball. But that doesn’t count right? We can dismiss his TD as a fluke, but we cannot give him credit for anything he does well that someone else screws up.

He played well in the second half. He wasn’t lights out. I am not saying he played great. You just cannot give the guy credit for anything. He doesn’t call the plays. And he doesn’t run the ball. The Pats would have scored again if Stevenson didn’t fumble the ball.

But I love how people are spinning his deep ball pass into a Hail Mary when it wasn’t. It was a deep ball pass. Teams don’t throw Hail Marys in the middle of the game.

BTW, the Pats only had two possessions in the third before their TD drive. You are ignoring the fact that Marcus Jones had a pick six which gave the Bengals back to back possessions in the third.

Last edited:
The “Hail Mary” hit the receiver in the hands. And he would have had another TD if Thornton didn’t drop a nicely thrown deep ball. But that doesn’t count right? We can dismiss his TD as a fluke, but we cannot give him credit for anything he does well that someone else screws up.

He played well in the second half. He wasn’t lights out. You just cannot give the guy credit for anything. He doesn’t call the plays. And he doesn’t run the ball.
When we are at a point where we need to count his good throws. We are not in a good place. Like I said he played well in the 4th quarter than doesn’t equate to a half I am sorry. He didn’t play well overall in the game

Hail Mary are always lucky plays. In the majority of the time the ball will hit the receiver in the hands because the receiver has time to adjust . How many Hail Mary did you see in your life where there is 0 receiver under the ball? The defender broke up the play and the fact that it fell right in Meyers hands is purely luck.

Thornton wasn’t gonna score. The throw was slightly under thrown and inside. Thornton had to slow down and dive to try to make the catch and that brought back the defender into the play. The throw was very good but not perfect and if Thornton had caught it like he should’ve have the defender would have been able to tackle Thornton.

I gave him credit for the 4th quarter. But I am not like you making excuses for the other 3.

When we are at a point where we need to count his good throws. We are not in a good place. Like I said he played well in the 4th quarter than doesn’t equate to a half I am sorry. He didn’t play well overall in the game

Hail Mary are always lucky plays. In the majority of the time the ball will hit the receiver in the hands because the receiver has time to adjust . How many Hail Mary did you see in your life where there is 0 receiver under the ball? The defender broke up the play and the fact that it fell right in Meyers hands is purely luck.

Thornton wasn’t gonna score. The throw was slightly under thrown and inside. Thornton had to slow down and dive to try to make the catch and that brought back the defender into the play. The throw was very good but not perfect and if Thornton had caught it like he should’ve have the defender would have been able to tackle Thornton.

I gave him credit for the 4th quarter. But I am not like you making excuses for the other 3.

I agree a Hail Mary is a luck play. The thing is that Jones hasn't thrown a Hail Mary pass in I cannot remember when. That was not a Hail Mary pass on Sunday. It was a deep ball pass. Not a Hail Mary. Hail Marys are luck play because defenses put most defenders in the end zone to break up passes. The thing that makes a Hail Mary lucky is the QB is throwing the ball into a crowd of 5-6 defenders and with 2-3 receivers. That didn't happen on this play. I suggest you stop calling this play a Hail Mary before people start to think you do not understand football.

And you are making crap up about the Thornton pass. Thornton didn't have to slow down. If he didn't jump for the ball and tried to catch in stride like he should have, he still had a step on his defender and could have scored if he caught it. Yes, it was slightly in further in bounds, but that happens all the time on deep passes and it receiver's responsibility to make the adjustment on the route.

What’s up with Pats players wearing different socks? Some wear all white, some wear the actual pattern then you Rham wearing the pattern used with the grey paints.
Not another coaching failure! Who is the Fashion Coordinator anyway?

And Burrow dropping back and throwing it off his back foot on 3rd & long up 22-0 late in the 3rd quarter
The Pats defense has kept the team in games all season. They are on the field considerably more than the NE offense and the stats bear that out.
And a Hail Mary on 3rd & 29 which deflected into Meyers' hands
Which has me wondering if the Pats are purposely running routes with WRs so close together because they are expecting ricochets and INTs.

Didnt BB say that Jones couldn't throw the hail Mary in the Raiders debacle?
Mac's apparently very well liked by his teammates,
Is he?

The only 2 players that have come to his defense are Meyers and Bourne. Which is problematic in its own self. Vs the Bengals, Jones dropped back and launched a rainbow to Bourne who was covered all the way. He was going to Bourne before the snap come hell or high water and never waiting for Agahlor (who beat his man} or Stevenson. Spread the rock to your Homeboys.

The rest of the NE offense has stayed silent about Mac except for Trent Brown who wants Jones out. These players are not stupid. They've played football their whole lives and they know what's going on. They see 9 Bengals in the box on the Stevenson fumble and know that play had a snowballs chance in hell of working out. These guys know that the NE coaching staff does not trust Mac Jones in that type of situation. The same type of scenario as the end of the Raider game when the QB always gets the ball to try and get the offense in FG range to win in regulation. Macs pal Meyers circumvented the NE coaching staff and tried to the ball to his Dog.

The NE offense has no Leader.

When the offense has no Leader then the team has no Leader. The NE offense is a ball of confusion committing penalties and mistakes in bunches. Brady demanded perfection and accountability. His teammates did not want to let him down and they knew that if they did their jobs that Brady would do his job and deliver. The team would win and the team had a Leader.

Truth be told the Pats are divided and the only thing that can bring it all together is solid QB performance and winning.

The Pats defense has kept the team in games all season. They are on the field considerably more than the NE offense and the stats bear that out.

Which has me wondering if the Pats are purposely running routes with WRs so close together because they are expecting ricochets and INTs.

Didnt BB say that Jones couldn't throw the hail Mary in the Raiders debacle?

Is he?

The only 2 players that have come to his defense are Meyers and Bourne. Which is problematic in its own self. Vs the Bengals, Jones dropped back and launched a rainbow to Bourne who was covered all the way. He was going to Bourne before the snap come hell or high water and never waiting for Agahlor (who beat his man} or Stevenson. Spread the rock to your Homeboys.

The rest of the NE offense has stayed silent about Mac except for Trent Brown who wants Jones out. These players are not stupid. They've played football their whole lives and they know what's going on. They see 9 Bengals in the box on the Stevenson fumble and know that play had a snowballs chance in hell of working out. These guys know that the NE coaching staff does not trust Mac Jones in that type of situation. The same type of scenario as the end of the Raider game when the QB always gets the ball to try and get the offense in FG range to win in regulation. Macs pal Meyers circumvented the NE coaching staff and tried to the ball to his Dog.

The NE offense has no Leader.

When the offense has no Leader then the team has no Leader. The NE offense is a ball of confusion committing penalties and mistakes in bunches. Brady demanded perfection and accountability. His teammates did not want to let him down and they knew that if they did their jobs that Brady would do his job and deliver. The team would win and the team had a Leader.

Truth be told the Pats are divided and the only thing that can bring it all together is solid QB performance and winning.
Bailey says Hi

He acts and plays like a winner

But Bill likes Mac

And Matty

You really cant use college as a barometer.

Look at all the great college QBs who are out of the league or bouncing from team to team? Baker Mayfield has a better arm than Mac Jones and he is on his 3rd team this season.
I haven't watched a college game since before either of the Pats QBs were born. I was talking about seeing Zappe play with the Pats.

It wouldn't be tanking; it would be acknowledging the obvious and preparing for next season by resting vets (Rham, Andrews, Judon, Guy, even Meyers as a sign of goodwill) and playing more kids, including Zappy...

The mind is a strange thing, men. We must begin by asking it "What is losing?"
Losing is a disease as contagious as polio.
Losing is a disease as contagious as syphilis.
Losing is a disease as contagious as bubonic plague attacking one but infecting all.

Ah, but curable.

Now, I want you to imagine you are on a ship at sea... on a vast calm ocean... gently rocking. Gently rocking. Gently rocking. Gently rocking."

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back