Official Pats Draftnik Recap 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Okay so I usually do a parody recap from the point of view of a Draftnik. Some of you guys have seen em. Question, do one or don't? They're a lot of work & I'm tired. If the People want it, I'm game... otherwise... meh.

We all know you really want to do one and all you need is a little encouragement. So go for it man, and add a dimension to what's been a ho-hum type of draft.

Had to work today. What was the final tally for draft picks gained in 2019? Numbers and rounds plz?

bwahaahahahahhaa Tony, I like that offer

I'll restrain myself this year & do one...

Why not choose your personal favorite from previous years and post a link.
Like a 'Best of...'

LOL Maust... Rather than summarize, I just went with normal length and lower quality....

Patsfans Draftnik Recap 2018, Executive Summary Edition

With the final post of the 2018 NFL Draft, PatsFanInVa has traded expectations with Tony2046 for an extended version in 2019, and a summary Patsfans Draftnik Recap for 2018. But I ended up writing long anyway, and just not paying as much attention to what I write. I hope you enjoy regardless.

General. I want to do this up-front: This is parody. That is like sarcasm or irony. In some cases I will say things I do not really think because they might be funny to somebody. So shut up and laugh, except if you are saying this is super-great and you wish there were more.

General about the actual draft. This draft was the deepest in memory at the Josh position, and we are dangerously thin at the Josh position; monumental blunder to let the opportunity pass us by. Sure we weren’t going to get Josh Rosen or Josh Allen, but we also whiffed on Josh Jackson, Josh Sweat, and any other Joshes I missed. This draft also featured Key and Peele future All American skit names; since this is a controversial topic, I will limit my observations to Equanimeous St. Brown, who went to the Packers at 207. I’m sorry, that name is just tight.

Round by Round, Pats stuff:

Rd 1, Pick 23: Isaiah Wynn, Short Tackle, Georgia. 6’3” of badasss. You do not want to mess with him unless everybody else has a guy that’s 6’6” of badass, at the tackle position. As a draftnick I’m compelled to consider the Eisens and Mayocks of the world, and frankly, this has bust written all over it, even if they were generally positive about how Scarnechhia will use him. Note the Georgia/SEC provenance, reader; I sense a southward disturbance in the Force. Super mobile bowling ball of a tackle, who we should hope is rolling other guys around the field, and they say low man wins. Or Wynns. So. Last observation: me and all my draftnik friends were certain that we could trade our entire first through third rounds and move up enough places to pick my favorite QB prospect. We also passed on that one QB still on the board who scored a 13 on the Wonderlic but was described as coachable. I dunno whether that was a Josh. Anyway: Draftnik Grade: C-

Rd 1, Pick 31: Sony Michel, RB, Georgia. Huh. That’s another Bulldog. Okay that’s weird but nothing to go all tinfoil helmet about. The naming rights craze finally hits the players themselves; scandal in the offing due to pre-professional payments from electronics manufacturer. 7.9 yards per carry in 2017, 16 TDs. Whoever the hell the starter was must have been fierce.

That said: We all know that Maroney was a mistake but there’s nothing wrong with a little evasiveness. This guy couldn’t evade the draft with an all-volunteer army. One cut and go, sometimes no cut and plow; Jeez, when has that ever worked before. He’s also used to sharing the load, and I’m not sure the Patriots can put together a running back committee to allow him to shine. Reserve your replica Michel jersey now with the name He Haiti Me. Draftnik Grade: C

Rd 2, Pick 56: Duke Dawson, CB, Florida. What’s in a name, part 2: If you’re gonna stay with all SEC picks, getting one named Duke Dawson just sounds right. He’s a 5’11 corner, sort of like all our corners, despite my angry draftnik letters to 1 Patriot Place demanding corners measuring 6’ or more in height. Sniffs out ball in air with head on swivel like some ravening woodland predator, all sorts of smarts and earned tools, pretty feet as Rex Ryan would say, chops them til it’s time to stride, rarely fooled, knows routes & what to do about em. Downside: about as gifted as yours truly on Christmas, which is to say, not at all. Short arms, short stride, and the only tackle he’s familiar with is when he goes fishing on the intercoastal. Draftnik Grade: D

Rd 5, 143. Ja’whaun Bentley, ILB, Purdue. Excellent way to spell the first name, and adds to our corps of apostrophes. Somewhat more importantly, big strong ILB who can do what ILBs are supposed to do, stuff runs. Can’t do anything else, really, especially rush the passer. As I mentioned in our pass rush thread, there were zero sacks in the SB until Brady got strip-sacked to put the final screw in that pooch. As a draftnik, of course, I disregard the fact that this final indignity was about not protecting Brady, and focus on our inability to sack Foles. Furthermore, this must have been a latent inability to sack people when we had to even though our pass-rush was toward the top of the league in production. I demand a pass rushing linebacker not some old dependable Ted Johnson pre-CTE guy. So, no. Draftnik grade: D-

Rd 6, 178. Christian Sam, ILB, Arizona State. See above, + can sometimes cover guys. Good solo tackler, which will be handy since as we displayed in SB52, nobody else on our D wants to tackle anybody. Draftnik grade: B-

Round 6, 210. Braxton Berrios, WR, Miami. First off, Braxton Berrios sounds like a British breakfast cereal. “Now with cobbles” would cement that impression. Miami’s not in the SEC but I’m calling them an honorary member. This all reeks of one good road trip when everybody just had the greatest time in the bestest late winter weather EVAH. I’d say he has alligator arms, but that implies that at full extension they can be longer. Also, he probably doesn’t want to hear anything about gators. I dunno how good he is, it’s round freakin 6 and I said I’d do a summary. C.

Round 7, 219. Danny Etling, QB, LSU. Annnnnnd that road trip evidently ended at Mardi Gras. Mo’ SEC, Mo’ SEC, Mo’ SEC. In Etling we’ve found the heir apparent, not to Tom Brady, but to Cliff Kingsbury. Seriously, do not learn this name. We just want the option of not having receivers as emergency QBs. C.

Round 7, 243. Keion Crossen, DB, Western Carolina. This deep in the draft the guys on the television draft crew are googling the prospects. And finding nothing, by the way. I’m just skipping him. If anybody knows whether he’s tall, let me know.

Round 7, Pick 250. Ryan Izzo, TE, Florida State. If I recall correctly, we originally woulda picked at 233, but Philly wanted to lock down an Australian Giant and we snagged another pick you will have never heard of in 2019, PLUS Ryan Izzo, so they could win Rugby League this year. This guy has the potential to back up a guy we hate for being an in-line Tight End when all TEs have to be Rob Gronkowski and score 10 touchdowns a year. But the name does have a ring to it. And Florida state, like Miami, is honorary SEC country.

2018 Patsfans Draftnik Official Draft Class Grade: D+

Bonus: The Southeastern Conspiracy. Like I said I wanted to take less effort this year but it didn’t work real well. I am interested in hearing impressions of this one-region, one-draft concept. Short of renaming the Pat the “Rebels” or something and replacing the Flying Elvis with the real Elvis, I don’t know what this is about. Some kinda Urban Meyer/Nick Saban network? You guys tell me.

I think d plus is selling our draft short.

I gave us a solid b.

Each guy, while clearly not bb’s first choice, fits our team. Clearly some have to beat out veterans to make the team, but life is s competition.

Bb’s infatuation with big linebackers that struggle in coverage remains as strong as ever.

The only head stracher is why no pass rush help?

Well done VA. Looks like I got the better end of the trade.

Seriously you should write a book. Your writing is easily first round stuff. I'd trade two Volin aricles (the googled version as they are much more accurate than his tweets) and a Borges hawt take (Nick from Boston types are the best) for a signed hard copy edition. :D

Enjoyed that VA. Thanks

Bb’s infatuation with big linebackers that struggle in coverage remains as strong as ever.

Speaking of BB infatuations, another head scratcher is the failure to use a second round pick on some safety who was on nobody's draft board but the Hoodie's.

Speaking of BB infatuations, another head scratcher is the failure to use a second round pick on some safety who was on nobody's draft board but the Hoodie's.

Yep. And I continue to note "Hey they're doing our shtick" moments from the Iggles. That Aussie Giant Rugby Player is pure Belichick. I guess if you ain't Rutgers or Fresno State, you ain't ****.

That said, mark my words, David Wells, TE, San Diego State, WILL be in camp as a UDFA.

Well done VA. Looks like I got the better end of the trade.

Seriously you should write a book. Your writing is easily first round stuff. I'd trade two Volin aricles (the googled version as they are much more accurate than his tweets) and a Borges hawt take (Nick from Boston types are the best) for a signed hard copy edition. :D

Enjoyed that VA. Thanks

Thanks man. At some point I decided to hang up the tournament model of "look, he wrote a real book!" and figured I'd focus on steady writing without my name on it... At a certain age, it's way more satisfying to say "look! I use my talent to pay for my amazing real estate market mistake from 2005!"

So I'm your standard issue 4-books-in-the-desk-drawer guy now.

I think d plus is selling our draft short.

I gave us a solid b.

Each guy, while clearly not bb’s first choice, fits our team. Clearly some have to beat out veterans to make the team, but life is s competition.

Hey there Ochmed, I know you've seen enough of these to know the grades and comments are tongue in cheek.

I was pretty much "meh" on the pass rush help. It's a balancing act, but I'm convinced that we're convinced that pass rushers just have to be good enough... I don't think we'll ever see a game-changing, disruptive DE or OLB whose main talent is getting to the QB in NE. As to the interior, forget it. The "sweet spot" is sufficient pressure, in terms of bang-for-the-buck, in the minds of this team's leadership.

I got that one all figured out.

Sort of like our use of tight ends prior to the Gronk/Hernandez draft... you can say "I wish we had Gonzalez or Gates, but we're just not about that." :D

Seriously - if BB et. al. think the rest of the league is sleeping on a "what if..." pass rusher concept, you might see selection of certain types w/unconventional value (less likely to be "blue chips," given our traditional draft order... and that will clearly pertain until TFB hangs em up at 50.) I don't know what's out there in terms of free agency, but you might see it further addressed there/via trade.

Sad, but every position/capability is dependent on bang for the buck. Unlimited resources, and pass rushing would get that much more love.

Wonder what this franchise would have achieved, if all those high draft pick losses had not been "commissioned."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back