PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION Official Patriots Draft Day 3 Thread - Rounds 4-7

Did we just trade up in the 4th to get a kicker? Belichick is mid-draft form.
Yeah we spent a 4th rounder on a kicker even though we already have a reliable veteran there. Watch our new kicker get cut in training camp. What a waste of a pick. The punter was the real need and you can get a punter in the 5th/6th round. Day 3 is almost as baffling as the second part of Day 2. We went C, G, K, G. Uh huh, ZERO skill players, ZERO OTs. Was this really the 'master' plan? Can't say I'm impressed.

This is how I look at the WR situation. No one from the 4th round on has measurables that are better than Lynn Bowden and Tre Nixon. So taking a WR in the 4th round accomplishes very little since you're not going to give them a roster spot. If they take a WR, it will be with the expectation they are going on the practice squad. Otherwise it's a waste of space on the roster.
I mean even if they take a guy or two that might develop or they want to redshirt like they did with Berrios when he got the Foxboro Flu at least you would have a guy who went through a camp with you and has had the playbook for a year. Better than going into next year with another couple free agents and rookies at receiver.

Hi I had to step away a long time but i want to weigh in on the whole "why don't you show me places projecting him to go in the fourth" back-and-forth.

There seemed to be an argument about which websites did and did not project it, how many, etc.

Here is how you check how good the websites are.

If a guy went in the 4th, and these websites said he'd go in the 4th, that means the website did it right. It didn't mean the team picked him in the right place because that's where the website projected he would go.

and I will add, as I always closed corresponence with the author of The Count of Monte Cristo,

DUMAS!

First really dumb pick in the draft for the Pats. Why, you just drafted two interior beasts already?!
How do you know the first two will pan out? They maybe beasts in collage but that doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to the nfl.

The depth inside was almost non existsent. Not complaining.
Before the draft it was Hines, Russey, Ferentz, and Murray with Steuber being a guy who could also play guard in a pinch. Adding Andrews, Mafi, and Sow on the inside should mean that Ferentz and Murray will be elsewhere....

Last edited:
If Mafi was a great prospect like Andrews and Sow were it wouldn’t bother me, he’s not.

He’s more like Stueber and Hines…. big but not strong or athletic. What a waste.
unfortunately did not test to injury, i would be interested in his testing, don't know the player but hines might be a good comparison it looks

If Mafi was a great prospect like Andrews and Sow were it wouldn’t bother me, he’s not.

He’s more like Stueber and Hines…. big but not strong or athletic. What a waste.

You don't think he's strong? He flattens people.

Mafi is the best of all three of them in my opinion.

No offense, but I'm not sure how you could watch him and come to the conclusion that he's not strong? He straight out flattens people. The knock on him is that he's slow and doesn't have great instincts, but he's far more powerful than Sow or Andrews.

This is how I look at the WR situation. No one from the 4th round on has measurables that are better than Lynn Bowden and Tre Nixon. So taking a WR in the 4th round accomplishes very little since you're not going to give them a roster spot. If they take a WR, it will be with the expectation they are going on the practice squad. Otherwise it's a waste of space on the roster.
Bryce Ford Wheaton has the measurables.

This argument makes no sense. I do not watch thousands of hors of tape yet I said they should ick Kanar Jackson over Sony Michelle, Jaylen Hurts over Duggar, Deebo Samuel over Harry and Pickens over Thornton. Maybe they are wasting money on the scouts. I think amateurs could do better

They overthink it
And we are influenced by the steady drone of sports talk radio, who do nothing more than create more controversy..
35 other teams passed over Deebo Samuel..
55 teams passed over Pickens..
The draft at best is a crap shoot..

They might see Sow as a tackle.

Strange also might be better suited for tackle given his challenges against power interior players as a rookie.

The Pats are now just throwing it against the wall.

Mafi is the best of all three of them in my opinion.

No offense, but I'm not sure how you could watch him and come to the conclusion that he's not strong? He straight out flattens people. The knock on him is that he's slow and doesn't have great instincts, but he's far more powerful than Sow or Andrews.
He benched it 21 times, he’s big but not athletic or overly strong.

I said the same about Stueber and Hines last draft and people argued I was wrong… Kody Russey was better than either of them.

Still some good LB prospects out there. Move up and get TooToo, Pappoe, or Pace.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back