PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Free Agency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Doesn't mean it will happen but it's a credible source.

Glad to hear it's a credible source, but I still think this guy is getting played by his sources. I would be stunned to find out that the Patriots were in on Suh.

- He keeps getting compared to Haynesworth, but the fact is that Suh has played better as a Dolphin than Haynesworth ever did as a Redskin. He certainly wasn't worth the money, but he's still a reasonably effective player.

- Because of the above and the vocal spat between him and Mike Shanahan, Haynesworth was essentially poison in league circles by 2011. The Patriots traded for him because they were able to talk him into redoing his contract -- he only made $1.5M in 2011 (there were incentives and a higher base salary scheduled for 2012). The Bucs claimed him off waivers because of that cheap contract, but instantly released him at the end of the year and he never sniffed the NFL again.

- NFL salary cap was $120M in 2011; the cap has risen by effectively 50% since then. By comparison, there is absolutely no way Suh signs a contract worth only $2.25M (not cap charge, but real money) with the Patriots for this year. He's far too effective; someone will pay him more.

- To that end, would the Patriots pay bigger money to have him start? With Brown/Shelton/Valentine (plus Guy), they already have a set rotation with the types of 2 gappers they typically play. Easley was the only 1 gapping / pressure first guy they spent significant resources on (note the cheapness of Haynesworth above). I mean, if Suh buys in and doesn't completely abandon all gap integrity then he certainly is a big help, but is that the best use for a $5-$7M year 1 cap charge, versus say DE/OLB or MLB (or dare I say LT)?

Just seems rather odd to me. But it wouldn't be the first time Belichick has surprised me.

But wouldn't other teams be able to claim tampering arguing that because of team X tampering they didn't have a fair chance? Just curious about how the ruling would be for players that are bound to be released but are on paper still under contract.

I just don't see where there would be any finding of harm here. There's no expectation that any club has a "fair chance" at any player who's released or out of contract, and the releasing club has already informed the player and made a public announcement about their intent to release him.

For what it's worth, I'd imagine there's an agreement between Suh's agent and the Dolphins that he can field offers in the meantime, just like when a team allows a player to seek trades. Indeed, I'd imagine the union would file a grievance if they didn't allow that since it would effectively be holding the player hostage.

statistically similar?
67.6 to 64.3 completions %
22/7 to 27/13 TD/int rate
11 wins to 7

People are all impressed with cousins throwing for a lot of yards while losing more than he wins as he has over his career but I’m not. He has a lot to prove to show me he can win.

Keenum also has a lot to prove to show it wasn’t a fluky year but he was a beast in college and before last year only played on horrendous teams and wasn’t all that bad.
If he “got it” in 2017 and his pkay in 2017 is what he builds on the bar to be better than cousins isn’t as high as people make it seem.

Yes that is what one would call statistically similar.

Aside from the wins thing which... well, if you saw the Vikings play and thought their 11 wins had to do with Keenum and not their historically good defense, I don't know what to tell you.

The dollar amounts flying around right now makes Harrison look better. Slater is a no brainer. So I'm actually good with this as all we have so far. I'm sure we are quietly keying in on a few free agents but I think this draft is looking like it might be all the more important between the cost of free agency and the NFL stripping a first and us trading one away we need this draft class to hit.
This draft is going to be monumental as far as future success goes. The roster doesn’t look too great long term. But then again, it’s seeming more and more that teams are going for season by season these days. Makes sense. When you know your shiny new coach is gonna be canned in 2 years, you don’t want the new coach to be stuck with all of his players.:rolleyes:

I can't see Suh coming to the Pats with the Shelton trade, Brown, Valentine, et al, it really isn't a place of need.

Looks like the Jets got last pick.

Kind of sucks, actually. I think he's just as good as any other quarterback available in free agency and has the potential to be better than all of them, and he's going to come cheaper.

I was hoping they'd panic and dump money in McCarron's lap or something.

Kind of sucks, actually. I think he's just as good as any other quarterback available in free agency and has the potential to be better than all of them, and he's going to come cheaper.

I was hoping they'd panic and dump money in McCarron's lap or something.

I like bridgewater as well. I just don't know if the jests are a good spot for him. A sucky franchise

I don't see why that would be a factor. Suh's much better than all of these guys.

Different type of player historically though, and it's a marginal improvement question. How much improvement at they going to have with Suh in the middle with Brown (or Suh with Shelton) and Roberts at LB, versus having Shelton and Brown in the middle and Preston Brown as a LB for similar money? I guess Suh did two-gap at Nebraska though, so maybe he's not an entirely different type of player like I thought.

Last edited:
Until pen hits paper, you should count on nothing. The only re-signings worth a hoot
are Solder and Lewis. Free agency would be a huge success if they could some how
add these two.
A few days ago i would’ve agreed. As each passing day grows though, I’m thinking we should let them walk. Take the 17+ mill we will save and pour back into other positions. RB shouldn’t be too difficult to replace somehow, or at least get close to. LT may be a bit harder to fill, but Solder hasn’t exactly been all-world.

This team needs a LB or maybe a CB.
We can have it all friends.
I definitely expect moves on D and maybe Flores likes a little more nasty from his players than Patricia.
I'm good with that.
Harrison Suh Shelton Flowers would be solid signing

I don't know how you could have watched the Patriots front seven this season, let alone in the Super Bowl, and decided that defensive line is not an area of need. Yes, Valentine will come back healthy, and I like him as a player, but he's not an All-Pro or anything. Yes, Shelton is a big load of a nose tackle, but he played 40% of snaps for the Browns last season. Guy and Brown are fine players too, but neither is anything special. The Patriots are drowning in average to slightly above average players on the defensive line. Suh's much better than all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes