PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Free Agency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I hope the two sides meet. I think Solder should be a big priority for us. He did play well down the stretch.
Solder shouldn't be a big priority for us...he should be THE priority for us. Nothing else can happen until his situation is resolved.

Pre-Draft To-Do list, in order of importance:

Resign Solder;

Gain assurances of Gronk's intentions, and proceed accordingly;

Re-sign either Lewis or Burkhead;

Re-sign Amendola;

Re-sign James Harrison, if the Price is Right;

Re-sign Marquis Flowers, if the Price is Right;

Re-sign either Waddle or Fleming;

And sign a lower-cost vet CB (old friend Sterling Moore?) to take Malcolm Butler's space, if not exactly his place.

Accomplish All of the Above, and then we can talk about Other People's Players.

Last edited:
Seahawks trying to trade Bennett. Two things, haven’t looked at the money and is he close to the player he was in 2014? At his peak he was a force on the line consistently pressuring the qb. If hes anything close to that and the money works he would be a welcome addition

Bennett brothers finally on the same team?

Bennett's cap hits post trade are reasonable. That's an interesting one since he's versatile like Flowers. He's not the gamebreaker he was in 2014 but he's still very good.

Accomplish all of the above, and perhaps extending Cooks is the highest priority. BTW, this would increase available 2018 cap money.

Solder shouldn't be a big priority for us...he should be THE priority for us. Nothing else can happen until his situation is resolved.

Pre-Draft To-Do list, in order of importance:

Resign Solder;

Gain assurances of Gronk's intentions, and proceed accordingly;

Re-sign either Lewis or Burkhead;

Re-sign Amendola;

Re-sign James Harrison, if the Price is Right;

Re-sign Marquis Flowers, if the Price is Right;

Re-sign either Waddle or Fleming;

And sign a lower-cost vet CB (old friend Sterling Moore?) to take Malcolm Butler's space, if not exactly his place.

Accomplish All of the Above, and then we can talk about Other People's Players.

Bennett is old enough that he should just threaten to retire if traded, in order to get the Seahawks to release him instead. It sounds like keeping him isn’t being considered.

Bennett is old enough that he should just threaten to retire if traded, in order to get the Seahawks to release him instead. It sounds like keeping him isn’t being considered.

The Seahawks owe Bennett a $4M roster bonus if he's still on their roster in a couple of weeks. If they can trade him before that, his new team owes him the $4M. So, financially, a trade won't matter to him, but retiring would cost him $4M.

I really really want Talib back once Denver cuts him.
I don't understand either ratings.

I would think that Talib is good enough to be our #2 CB. The question is price.

He will be a free agent in a couple of weeks. So one is giving a draft choice so that they can pay him $11M.

Lets sign one of Jonathan Stewart/Chris Ivory. We need a power back and their both old just like BB likes it lol.

Defensively, I want to raid the Falcons. Give me Courtney Upshaw and Weatherspoon. Maybe even Poe.

Demario Davis is a physical lb that could easily fit in with us. Then look to the draft for a Richards replacement and a corner or two that also contribute on special teams.

Lets sign one of Jonathan Stewart/Chris Ivory. We need a power back and their both old just like BB likes it lol.

Defensively, I want to raid the Falcons. Give me Courtney Upshaw and Weatherspoon. Maybe even Poe.

Demario Davis is a physical lb that could easily fit in with us. Then look to the draft for a Richards replacement and a corner or two that also contribute on special teams.

Stewart (5'11"/235, 31yrs) could be interesting. ATC considered, though, I'd prefer Frank Gore (age 34) for the Pats as an older RB "insurance policy" - even over Ivory. Gore has been much, much more consistently healthy and productive as both rusher and receiver over the past four seasons than either of the other two.

Upshaw (6'2"/273, 28 yrs) doesn't appear to have worked out very well for ATL as a DL in their 4-3 the past two seasons. He was significantly more productive in his first four seasons as a starting OLB in the Ravens' 3-4. Kinda make me wonder why the Falcons signed him in the first place, if they weren't going to be using him the same way in a similar system - other than the fact that he was dirt cheap for some reason (avg $1.26M cap hits for 2016-2017??). Not sure where he'd fit with the Pats, except maybe as a bookend to HT at OLB in heavy, 30-front sets. Not likely to be more than a sub, and possibly a liability if he's on the field when an opposing offense goes into hurry-up mode to exploit his presence.

Weatherspoon (6'1"/241, 30 yrs) had a promising start for the Falcons in 2016 before suffering an Achilles tear - from which he doesn't appear to have recovered (only played 6 snaps in 2017).

Poe isn't likely to be affordable for the Pats.

Demario Davis (6'2"/235, 29yrs) is an odd case. After being a full-time starting LB and tackling machine for the Jets during the last three seasons of his rookie deal, he signed with the Browns in 2016, 2 years/$8M, $4.1M guaranteed. In 2017, the Browns traded Davis back to the Jets for 1st-round safety bust, Calvin Pryor, and Davis promptly agreed to a pay cut that reduced his salary from $3.7M to $1M (plus $1.25M in incentives).

I generally don't trust younger Jets defensive guys to be smart, disciplined players. But if the Jets don't want Davis (seems unlikely), and he's willing to play for the Pats at less than a $3M cap hit in 2018, he might be worth working with.

Accomplish all of the above, and perhaps extending Cooks is the highest priority. BTW, this would increase available 2018 cap money.
Extend the lost little Cookie? Why? Did you not watch our offense IMPROVE after he got his dumb ass knocked out of the SB?
If Bill could secure a Day 2 pick for Cookie, I would personally drive from Hershey to Foxborough, then without any sleep if necessary drive Cookie to the airport of Bill's choosing.

The money that many people here are discussing giving this ultimately useless, shiny little toy is a feckin joke.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore