PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Free Agency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cousin, I agree. I think Hightower is a talented LB, but his talent and heart are negated by his ability to stay on the field.

The Defense needs to infuse more talent. We have not had a healthy Hightower most of last year and still won almost everything but unfortunately the last when we ran out of talent. Was he missed? Sure but he is not dependable. Perhaps Hightower gets us some capital to Draft or trade? Would Matt P reach out if he was available as the Lions need an LB and Hightower can help coach the new D on the field?

I think it is taboo here but McCourty is replaceable and Harmon can play his FS position. Laugh at this, but I think the much bigger Rowe can be moved to Safety.

Just for fun and to be a contrarian, McCourty and Hightower to the Lions for perhaps a first and third and the rights to Calvin Johnson who is Edelman and Amendola's age at 32.

I think you can get a very good healthy Zack Brown who was Pro Bwol the last two years and is fast and can cover. Now if Gronk retires, you opt for Eifert and sign Megatron for at last two to be your Red Zone threat.

Brady to Megatron? Like the Moss connection only with Edleman, Cooks and Amendola who do you let be one on one while double teaming Megatron?

Now you bring in some added picks as well.
Thoughts? Threats?
DW Toys

DW, I would drive McCourty to the airport if the Pats could unload him, but nobody is taking on that contract. He makes more money than Malcolm Jenkins, who clearly outplayed him in the SB.

Even cutting him doesn't make sense because of the cap hit.

Cousin, I agree. I think Hightower is a talented LB, but his talent and heart are negated by his ability to stay on the field.

The Defense needs to infuse more talent. We have not had a healthy Hightower most of last year and still won almost everything but unfortunately the last when we ran out of talent. Was he missed? Sure but he is not dependable. Perhaps Hightower gets us some capital to Draft or trade? Would Matt P reach out if he was available as the Lions need an LB and Hightower can help coach the new D on the field?

I think it is taboo here but McCourty is replaceable and Harmon can play his FS position. Laugh at this, but I think the much bigger Rowe can be moved to Safety.

Just for fun and to be a contrarian, McCourty and Hightower to the Lions for perhaps a first and third and the rights to Calvin Johnson who is Edelman and Amendola's age at 32.

I think you can get a very good healthy Zack Brown who was Pro Bwol the last two years and is fast and can cover. Now if Gronk retires, you opt for Eifert and sign Megatron for at last two to be your Red Zone threat.

Brady to Megatron? Like the Moss connection only with Edleman, Cooks and Amendola who do you let be one on one while double teaming Megatron?

Thoughts? Threats?
DW Toys

I think hightower is really good.

I think we saw that we can win without him, and his contract is taking up a pretty large chunk of change so if we could trade him and get a decent pick back, i'd be open to the idea.

I think we saw that we can win without him, and his contract is taking up a pretty large chunk of change so if we could trade him and get a decent pick back, i'd be open to the idea.
I'd trade him for a Third minimum

They haven’t won a SB without him either. Our defense was a sieve in SB51 but he came through when we needed a play. Also, his goal line stop of marshawn lynch in SB49. He saved us two super bowls.

Last edited:

Thoughts? Threats?
DW Toys

I would pay to find out who of you guys runs this account... almost as entertaining as he fist 1-2 posts of good old Dikembe.

They haven’t won a SB without him. Our defense was a sieve in SB51 but he came through when we needed a play. Also, his goal line stop of marshawn lynch in SB49. He saved us two super bowls.
This is True
But can we count on him being on the field to Get us let alone play in the superbowl.

This will be a very interesting free agency and trade period if we pick up Bennett's option and retain or rework Allen we pretty much know where Gronks head is at.
My guess is Bill already knows I would say this I would look at having Gronk as a luxury past this season if he comes back with his injuries and outside interests pulling him I would plan accordingly.
Which I know BB and Co will.

After the decision on Bennett,

MY FREE AGENT TARGETS ARE

1) Solder

2) Burkhead (Lewis is likely to get higher offers elsewhere)

3) Harrison

4) Marquise Flowers

5) Bademosi

all i want is a full season from our expensive MLB.

After seeing mayo get IR'd repeatedly, and then watching hightower go down right after signing a fat contract.

I don't have the numbers but i'd wager that one spot on the defense has had more IR dollars then active dollars in the last 6 years or so.

Who is this expensive MLB you are talking about ?

It cant be Hightower who is essentially on a 2 year deal with 7m APY. Because you know those 3 fat years at the end that might distract you.. they are non-guaranteed. Is he cheap ? Nope. But he is far from being expensive.

I should've been more clear when I asked if Pryor had signed only a one-year contract last off-season, thereby making him a free agent this off-season. Sorry.

Regarding the need for a Big WR, Gronkowski's a TE. And what's precluding us from having more than one Big Target anyway?

I only brought up Gronk because he's a much better receiver than the "big WRs" on about 20-25 of the other NFL teams.

The only thing precluding the Pats from having more than one "Big Target" are cap space and opportunities to acquire one who's actually good.

I only brought up Gronk because he's a much better receiver than the "big WRs" on about 20-25 of the other NFL teams.

The only thing precluding the Pats from having more than one "Big Target" are cap space and opportunities to acquire one who's actually good.
Draft mid round

The FA market looks overpriced and meh - maybe BB finds a potential gem or two at the lower levels. And please, no WRs (other than our own FA) - we've got JE, Britt, Dorsett, Hogan, Mitchell...and please sign DA. Other than that, camp fodder.

TE could get complicated. So could OT.

I'm interested in seeing if BB trades away draft picks for guy with 1 or 2 more years on a rookie deal, a la Cooks.

That's a big question: as the Pats set up for Brady's sunset, do they pull an Elway and go "all in," cap (in a couple of years) be damned, draft picks for proven vets, etc? Or does BB continue his slow and continual build, often with fewer blue chip players?

Someone made a good point in another thread about how the reduction in practice time (especially full-contact practices) seems to have increased the amount of time it takes to develop rookie prospects at certain positions.

So, in (probably) quite a few situations, it may be more effective to trade a draft pick for a player with some NFL experience.

Draft mid round

Yes, many folks here believe that we will meet a particular need with a mid round draft choice (presumably after the top 100).

Sure, that could happen. Belichick finds fine players after the first 100, and even as UDFA's. However, this strategy isn't a reliable way of filling holes for this years team.

Id argue that the one thing you didnt mention is that you want to be as diverse in your roster as possible to remain flexible to adjust to many situations. With the reality of a fixed amount of roster spots I would rather have a capable backup at slot receiver than a third big option (after Gronk and MM/Britt). Which brings us to the eternal discussion about flexibility vs. skill on a BB team..

Who is this expensive MLB you are talking about ?

It cant be Hightower who is essentially on a 2 year deal with 7m APY. Because you know those 3 fat years at the end that might distract you.. they are non-guaranteed. Is he cheap ? Nope. But he is far from being expensive.

His cap hit this year is: $8,523,435
But you're probably right, as i said i don't have the numbers, all i know is watching mayo go down a couple of years in a row, and then watch hightower struggle with injuries, get a contract, and then go on IR has me a little triggered.

Id argue that the one thing you didnt mention is that you want to be as diverse in your roster as possible to remain flexible to adjust to many situations. With the reality of a fixed amount of roster spots I would rather have a capable backup at slot receiver than a third big option (after Gronk and MM/Britt). Which brings us to the eternal discussion about flexibility vs. skill on a BB team..

I'm not counting on Mitchell/Britt as 3rd big option. That player is Cooks and then Hogan/Dorsett.

I thought the Super Bowl would make people appreciate Hightower, not start hating him. I feel like some people need to be reminded that this was his first NFL injury that knocked him out for more than two consecutive games, and also the first time he missed any playoff games. He might need health maintenance games here and there, but that's all built into his contract. If he's on the field in the playoffs, as he has been in five of his six seasons, then he's a huge asset.

His cap hit this year is: $8,523,435
But you're probably right, as i said i don't have the numbers, all i know is watching mayo go down a couple of years in a row, and then watch hightower struggle with injuries, get a contract, and then go on IR has me a little triggered.

His hit last season was 5.8m so it kinda averages out to 7m.

Look I agree that it is frustrating but that is the reason he didnt get that 10m contract that many thought he would get in FA. The thing I am critical of is that we invested a lot of resources into trades for the offense when in reality the defense had more issues. But then again you can only execute the trades that are there so who knows if there was any chance to get someone better on D.

Also it really was a perfect storm of unfortunate circumstances. From Hightowers PEC injury (which was unrelated to his usual knee issues), Langis car accident, McClellins concussion or Harris being a corpse of himself.. I mean while I applaud that MP was able to get M. Flowers to play LB smaps the fact that we had to dig that deep to find bodies is pretty telling..

I'm not counting on Mitchell/Britt as 3rd big option. That player is Cooks and then Hogan/Dorsett.

I am not sure we are using the word big to mean the same. I took it more as talking about tall people.. did I misread the entire thing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes