PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Free Agency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I read a tweet posted here that his extension had reduced our current available cap space, or does it only effect 2019?

I'm not certain but I believe Chung gets more this season because of a signing bonus but the cap hit isn't necessarily higher.

Would’ve been a nice addition had it not been for that massive cap hit that you quoted. I suppose you can make that argument with any player, but it’s still a bummer.

Seems like some people are thinking other teams are getting steals just based on what draft picks are being used in trades and completely ignore the contract.

I thought I read a tweet posted here that his extension had reduced our current available cap space, or does it only effect 2019?

According to Miguel, some structural elements were re-arranged, but there will be no net change to his 2018. cap hit of $3.8M unless he earns some incentives (which aren't huge).

His cap hits for 2019 and 2020 are a little less ... $3.6M each season.

According to Miguel, some structural elements were re-arranged, but there will be no net change to his 2018. cap hit of $3.8M unless he earns some incentives (which aren't huge).

His cap hits for 2019 and 2020 are a little less ... $3.6M each season.

Which tells you that nobody in Foxboro is concerned about cap space. If they really were the amateurs some people here think they are then they could have easily free'd up some room on that extension.

In reality we are exactly where we are supposed to be and cap space is not an issue at all.

Chung. I also didn't see the need to sign STOs King, Ebner & Slater so quickly either.

I don't what, if any, deadlines the Pats felt they were facing with Ebner and Slater. The timing of those contract offers may have been just ordinary housekeeping.

With King, though, he was an RFA. So, they had to do a contract or tender him at $1.9M+ for one year. He's now on a 2-year deal at $1.18M & $1.38M for 2018 & 2019.

With all three on two year deals, they have their ST core set until 2020 and also have their 2019 core cap budget a bit more settled (currently about $48M in free space). Having these in place probably helps them calculate what they can do with other extensions to free up more 2018 cap space.

I'm not certain but I believe Chung gets more this season because of a signing bonus but the cap hit isn't necessarily higher.

Yes. More cash in his pocket, but no change to his cap hit.

I believe that Veldheer is owed $10M this season, and that is out of our price range, unfortunately.

Actually, the hit for the Broncos is only $7M. The Cards eat the remaining $3.25M signing bonus.

Still kind of out of the Pats price range, though.

Plus doesn’t he have a problem staying healthy?

Veldheer missed 11 games in 2013 with a torn triceps.
Missed another 8 in 2016, again for a torn triceps.
Missed the last three games of 2017 with an ankle fracture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe