PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Free Agency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the hit for the Broncos is only $7M. The Cards eat the remaining $3.25M signing bonus.

Still kind of out of the Pats price range, though.

And by that you mean that he is still way out of their price range.

For those of you still keeping score at home wrt WR pay rates ...

I just don't see the need to extend him now, and reducing our available salary cap space, before waiting to see how the up-coming season plays out. Perhaps he reaches the proverbial cliff.

Chung's extension didn't reduce the cap space..

I believe that Veldheer is owed $10M this season, and that is out of our price range, unfortunately.

You seem to always do this. You seem to think that the person's salary cap hit is what they are getting paid.

Veldheer's 2018 salary is 6.5M with a 500K roster bonus which I believe has already been paid. So Arizona is on the hook for that. All Veldheer costs is 6.5M toward the cap for the Broncos. The rest is eaten by Arizona.

And by that you mean that he is still way out of their price range.

How do you figure that 6.5-7 is out of the Pats price range? If you swap him out for Waddle, it is only a couple mil difference.

Waddle has proven he can fill in admirally when he needs to.
Veldheer while the more consistent and big name is mich older and has contiplated retierment.
No matter how you slice it could be a masterful trade by the Broncos.
The other front offices are working too.

How do you figure that 6.5-7 is out of the Pats price range? If you swap him out for Waddle, it is only a couple mil difference.
I haven't see Waddle's numbers. Were they really over $4.5M for 2018 as you suggest.

It is also just a couple mil difference between the 13.5m the Pats offered for Solder and the 16m he got from NY.

Given that they have a relationship with Arizona in terms of trading I would be surprised if BB & co were not aware of him being available. It is more likely their evaluation of Veldheer was not that far apart from Waddle and they knew they could have him for less.

Waddle has proven he can fill in admirally when he needs to.
Veldheer while the more consistent and big name is mich older and has contiplated retierment.
No matter how you slice it could be a masterful trade by the Broncos.
The other front offices are working too.

Great trade for Denver, makes you wonder if they’re worried about last years first rounder not being the player they envisioned

Great trade for Denver, makes you wonder if they’re worried about last years first rounder not being the player they envisioned

IIRC, Bolles did pretty okay, although I'd thought he'd end up as a guard.

Anyway, Donald Stephenson signed with the Browns, which left them with Cyrus Kouandijo and Menelik Watson at the other tackle spot.

It is also just a couple mil difference between the 13.5m the Pats offered for Solder and the 16m he got from NY.

Given that they have a relationship with Arizona in terms of trading I would be surprised if BB & co were not aware of him being available. It is more likely their evaluation of Veldheer was not that far apart from Waddle and they knew they could have him for less.

This.

A. We don’t know what the Waddle contract numbers are yet. I’d be suprised if his cap hit is 4.5 million. Even if it is, 2 million could mean the difference between signing a key depth piece or adding a vet at the trade deadline. Two million dollars for BB is different than for other teams/GMs.

B. A 6.5 million cap number is much more than BB would be willing to pay, in my opinion, for a can’t stay healthy tackle who has never played in the Pats system and who would not definitely start at LT next year.

You seem to always do this. You seem to think that the person's salary cap hit is what they are getting paid...
When I wrote that Veldheer is owed $10M, I did not mean to imply that he is literally being paid $10M this season. I meant to imply that his contract would cost the Patriots $10M (or, it appears, actually $6.5M) this season. That's it.

Please post a source where the patriots offered within a couple of million of the $35M guarantee given to Solder.

Personally, I don't the patriots offered anywhere close to $35M guaranteed to play the next 2 years.

Last edited:
Please post a source where the patriots offered within a couple of million of the $37M guarantee given to Solder.

Personally, I don't the patriots offered anywhere close to $35M guaranteed to play the next 2 years.

I will not go through old tweets of beat guys because my point was not the amount of money but that it “always is just a few millions”. Once you start making exceptions those “few millions” start to add up.

Also the poster I quoted was talking about a few millions of APY not about the total guarantees.

Pats pretty much just need to resign Harrison now. Maybe Breaux too if he comes cheap.

Pats pretty much just need to resign Harrison now. Maybe Breaux too if he comes cheap.

Unless the Pats now that he's getting offer from other teams, signing Harrison can wait until July. It's not as if he needs the OTA reps and I doubt there's any concern that he won't stay in playing shape between now and the start of Camp.

Also, waiting saves cap space for now, and saves a spot on the 90-man roster to see how some other issues shake out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe