PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Free Agency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would definitely be outside the box thinking, and they did manage to win a similar question by turning Cannon into a quality tackle.

That said, from Scar after he was drafted: "We drafted (Thuney) to play inside and also knowing that in a pinch he could help us outside. He's going to be an inside player unless disaster hits and then he's going to be an outside player."

New England Patriots drafted Joe Thuney to play on interior offensive line, says Dante Scarnecchia

So if they did that, either they think he's grown so much as a player such that his arm length wouldn't be a detriment at tackle long-term, or they view losing Solder and not keeping Waddle or Fleming as disasters (which presumably by their nature they didn't plan for).

Different era, but Matt Light was about the same size as Thuney.

Any new about Bowman?

There's this from four days ago (an eon in Free Agency):

The fan bases of the Bengals and Cowboys are hot on Bowman's trail, apparently.

It wouldn't surprise if eventually Feeney moved to RG to take better advantage of his power, and Lamp moved to LG to take better advantage of his quickness (as a former college LT).

I hope a Failed Physical designation saves us more money than a plain old He Sucks designation does.

Actually, it sounds like it might be the other way around - he may be eligible for an injury benefit under a Failed Physical designation which would wind up negatively impacting the Patriots cap in 2019. We'll have to see.

You're talking Ancient History. This current roster lists Cannon, Croston, Garcia,
Jelks, King, and Tobin as their tackles. As we speak, last year's backups, Fleming
and Waddle, are on the road seeking jobs. Which among this sorry lot do you
project to play left tackle or for that matter back up tackle?
When they re-signed Solder a couple of years ago, it bought them a little time.
They squandered this time and are now firmly behind the eight ball.
I want the pleasure of watching Tom Brady play his last few years without
seeing him lying in a heap because of a subpar left tackle.

They didn't squander anything. They brought in Garcia and McDermott. I guess you expect them to be able to see the future where Garcia unexpectedly develops blood clots in his lungs and take someone else instead and that the Bills would swipe McDermott.

I'd like the pleasure of a veteran posters such as yourself not being all doom and gloom because the team got hit with some unforeseen issues instead of whining and moaning as if you're completely uneducated about what this team actually had done recently.

BTW, Who could have predicted that Solder would turn down the Pats offer to move his family out of New England to New York to be closer to his wife's family.. Pretty sure that was a surprise to most everyone here.

They didn't squander anything. They brought in Garcia and McDermott. I guess you expect them to be able to see the future where Garcia unexpectedly develops blood clots in his lungs and take someone else instead and that the Bills would swipe McDermott.

I'd like the pleasure of a veteran posters such as yourself not being all doom and gloom because the team got hit with some unforeseen issues instead of whining and moaning as if you're completely uneducated about what this team actually had done recently.

BTW, Who could have predicted that Solder would turn down the Pats offer to move his family out of New England to New York to be closer to his wife's family.. Pretty sure that was a surprise to most everyone here.

Mcdermott doesn’t belong in the nfl. Too weak. He got abused during his time here daily in practice. Should have never been drafted

UNWARRANTED SPECULATION

We will have about 50% of the cap tied up in out top 10 players (last I saw, it was 53%), This isn't the way Belichick has run the team since he's been here. The patriots have always paid more for "lower"level players, the STers, the backup OT's, the role players.

I feel a trade of a top 10 player coming.

I am NOT suggesting that the cap can't be managed without such a trade. Brady will be extended. That will free up enough to give us a total of $10M of "usable" cap space.

As soon as I hear of them adding Patterson, I felt that a trade was coming, likely of Cooks.
However, a Cooks EXTENSION would almost certainly lower his cap hit..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft