PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Official Draft Day LIVE Discussion Thread - Night 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to laugh based on the history in the 2nd round but I like the pick. Extremely athletic and can fill the need they have at returner. McCourty and Chung don’t have a lot of time left.

Dog made the pick

I’ve seen him play. The kid will do well for the pats. LR is a good little school, went to the div 2 championship last year...

Bill is actually the smartest person in the room most of the time. By the way, since you're clearly new to rooting for the team I just wanted to say - welcome to the fandom!
I was a fan of the Pats long before you were born

While drafting a safety is a surprise, there is nothing wrong with Dugger here.

Massive safety with elite physical traits. He has the tools to do anything in the secondary. Well see what he can handle mentally, but he could play a traditional safety role, could play the big nickel and handle some LB responsibility. If Bill is getting creative, this is our cover LB.

Legit talent. I wouldn't have chosen a safety here, but he is not a bad pick. Big time physical talent and has the versatility Bill craves.

So excited about the Chung replacement possibility. Great...pick a guy to sit o the bench for a year or two when we have huge holes at LB and TE.

BB + 2nd rnd pick + Dback = big swing and a miss

I got nothing.

I had intended to rag on Lenoir-Rhyne U but I'm too depressed.

my brother just showed me this review : interesting

patriotsb_logo.gif
New England Patriots: Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne - B+ Grade
The Patriots just broke a certain team's heart. Kyle Dugger over the likes of Grant Delpit and Antoine Winfield might be a head-scratcher to some, but I've heard that some teams loved Kyle Dugger's versatility. Dugger can play in so many spots, including linebacker, and that's exactly what Bill Belichick is looking for. This isn't an A+, but it's a very solid selection.

That’s an insulting pick with all the talent on the board.

To be fair, I collect sports cards a little bit. Go check out an online box break of players from even 2015 and 2016. It is card after card of “who?” and in some small instances a player who did a little something.

So while I think a D2 player early in the second is a big woof, it is unknown how many will amount to anything. I’ve got a box full of auto football guys dating back to ‘05 that are worthless to anyone but them and their family.

I'd be the first person to **** on a pick but ultimately safety is a position of need. Chung is old. It's not a bad pick. I'm not in love with it but it could be a far worse pick.

It took me 5 minutes but he looks like the perfect Money. Now I get it. He ain’t Richards. He’s a great athlete.

From the reactions of people that paid attention to the senior bowl I can only gather that this seems like a good pick.

Especially with Chung getting there in terms of age.

anyone happy about our pick?

Not the position I was hoping for, but Kyle Dugger is a good football player with extraordinary physical skills - at the NFL Combine he ran a 4.49 40-yard dash, had the best vertical jump among safeties (42 inches) and the second-best broad jump (11 feet, 2 inches).

As the #3 safety, he'll be fine.

I love these kind of players from small schools.

Last edited:
Kyle Dugger, S/LB, Lenoir-Rhyne
Dugger is the premier small-school prospect in this draft class. At just under 6-foot-1 and 217 pounds with 4.49 speed, a 42-inch vertical, and a 134-inch broad jump, the physical comparisons start at Derwin James. And the Division II product played a James-type role with James-type results on the field.

Mostly utilized as a free safety at Lenoir-Rhyne, Dugger has range for days in coverage and good change-of-direction ability for someone his size to go along with the explosiveness he demonstrated at the combine. He flies up in run support, even between the tackles, and will get to the football on the outside.

Because of his size and length -- nearly 33-inch arms -- Dugger is a seam-throw stopper when running with tight ends, which might be his most valuable asset at the next level.

Many believe he's a linebacker in the NFL. I think he should be deployed as a back-end safety initially, but really, safeties, linebackers, and slot corners carry out many of the same responsibilities in the NFL today. The only noticeably ding on Dugger's draft profile is that he turns 24 later this month, but he has the instincts, towering physical presence, and athletic gifts to be a star in the NFL. He could sneak into Round 1 and is unlikely to get out of the second round.

I had never heard of Lenoir-Rhyne before so there is something I suppose.

Not the position I was hoping for, but Kyle Dugger is a good football player with extraordinary physical skills - at the NFL Combine he ran a 4.49 40-yard dash, had the best vertical jump among safeties (42 inches) and the second-best broad jump (11 feet, 2 inches).

As the #3 corner, he'll be fine.

I love these kind of players from small schools.
He’s not a corner. He’s a nickel s/lb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back