PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 5

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly what I was going to say. Different sport but same result. Look at how we got Tatum.

Danny was going to take him at 1, but some how Philly was sold on that PG (can't even remember his name) and even crazier, most everyone knew that, however Danny convinced Philly otherwise. Got some picks out of them to jump LA, who everyone knew was going to take Ball.

I won't call it the worst trade ever but simply based on pure stupidity it's up there.

Markelle Fultz

Throwing out ideas...

Trade #3, #180 to MIN for #11, #23, #108, 2025 1st

Take TE Brock Bowers at #11

Package #23 with #68 to move up for an OT

Package #34 with #103, #108 to move back into the 1st round and nab a WR

Let Brissett and Zappe manage another struggle bus offense that has us picking towards the top of next year's draft. We'll have that and an extra 1st to look at the QB landscape. We'll have, hopefully, some foundational talents in place on offense with the above picks and hopefully some internal development. We'll have a ton of cap space again next year and a better foundation to sell guys on.
I like the down trade, but you need a QB. If you're taking weapons, MHJ at 3 is as close to a sure thing as there is in this draft.

I'd do the bold part, but take McCarthy or Nix at 23. I know that's high for Nix, don't care, get your guy if you deem he's The Guy. OT at #11, then you still will get a good WR at 34. One of the two guys in Texas or Legette will be there at 34, if not all three. Not all problems solved, but a bunch. Brissett starts and the rookie QB sits on the Jordan Love program. Then next year, you get another WR with the extra R1 pick and now you've got 3 young wideouts on rookie deals, and if you hit on 'em, you're rockin'. Draft a back up QB late rounds in 2025 or keep Brissett as insurance.

You just delayed where they are today by a year. No elite receiver is coming here for Brissett/Zappe, especially after seeing you pass on the #3 QB the previous season.

No thanks.
I don't think you necessarily need an elite WR at that point. In this scenario, I have us adding a potential all pro TE in Bowers and then another 1st round WR (or borderline first round if we stay at #34). Key is to hit on those picks. Then you have Bourne and hopefully Douglas emerges further. There's no elite WR there (unless #34 is a hit beyond realistic expectations), but you should have a good enough set of weapons where the QB we look for next year can come in with a fair shot. I also had us adding a 1st round OT here. An elite #1 WR could come after that.

Obviously if they think one of the QBs this year is transcendent and someone they have to jump at then they need to do that. But if they're looking at the QBs and drafting one more because "well we're in position to take one so might as well", I'd rather move back. This is a really, really bad situation someone is walking into here. Like it's really bad. Unless they feel real strong conviction about one guy specifically, I'd try to build up around the QB a bit first so when we do add a guy he has a chance to succeed.

I don't think you necessarily need an elite WR at that point. In this scenario, I have us adding a potential all pro TE in Bowers and then another 1st round WR (or borderline first round if we stay at #34). Key is to hit on those picks. Then you have Bourne and hopefully Douglas emerges further. There's no elite WR there (unless #34 is a hit beyond realistic expectations), but you should have a good enough set of weapons where the QB we look for next year can come in with a fair shot. I also had us adding a 1st round OT here. An elite #1 WR could come after that.

Obviously if they think one of the QBs this year is transcendent and someone they have to jump at then they need to do that. But if they're looking at the QBs and drafting one more because "well we're in position to take one so might as well", I'd rather move back. This is a really, really bad situation someone is walking into here. Like it's really bad. Unless they feel real strong conviction about one guy specifically, I'd try to build up around the QB a bit first so when we do add a guy he has a chance to succeed.
I will say, Bowers would be incredible. Best TE prospect I've seen in a while. Not sure if you can take him with all the holes the Patriots have, but still.

All without a marquis WR or QB.
Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandia

I like the 11, 23, but we know they wont give up an R1, R2 maybe. But I like your strategy.
11 and 23 is not enough. If they make that trade they need to be fired on the spot.

I will say, Bowers would be incredible. Best TE prospect I've seen in a while. Not sure if you can take him with all the holes the Patriots have, but still.
My take on it is that we have too many holes to really start worrying about filling one vs. the other. Like it's just hard for me to see us not being a bad team in 2024. Maybe competitive week to week, playing hard and all that, but the offensive talent is so bad right now.

If we use #3 on a QB, it's hard to see him being good enough to carry this sad-sack team in year 1 if he even plays. If we move down and go with "weapons" like I did in that idea, it's hard to see them all panning out so well in year 1 that it makes up for the dynamic duo of Brissett and Zappe at QB. Like either way, I see a bad 2024 team.

By 2025, I'd hope for some progress. A good 2024 draft followed up by a good 2025 draft and spending FA next year adding vs. retaining should have you ready to start translating to some wins. But even then, we're talking wild card type stuff.

2026 is when, best case scenario, I see us being a team that's really poised to 'do something". I mean having realistically high expectations. We have 16 players signed for 2016 as of right now. Any talk of what our roster holes or needs are now is kind of irrelevant by then because damn near the whole team will be turned over by then. So I'm really just worried about trying to lock in core pieces, at any position.

Fine. What if the QB isn't there next year? Then what? Fans can be patient only for so long. There's already a mini mutiny in this place and we're only in week 1! Lol

Interesting name to consider. His production warrants a 1 year prove it deal somewhere. That won't be here though. You don't sign on to prove yourself in a bad situation. So for us to land him would take a big enough 2-3 year commitment with enough security that he'd want to forego a 1 year deal to rebuild value and try again next year.

If we gave him a "real" multi year deal, definitely some risk that he busts. But if he's even roster-able, that's still a welcome addition to our WR room right now as sad as that is. And we have enough cap room that it's not the end of the world. He's only going to be 28 so might be a decent shot to take.

Harrison Jr is the best player in this draft. Take him and don't look back. He will make whoever is throwing him the ball look better. I'm not sold on Trubisky em, I mean Maye. Another one of these QBs nobody ever heard of until AFTER he was done playing. I think Williams and Maye go 1 and 2. PFF has Daniels ranked as the 22nd best prospect.

Penix's arm motion will get pretty much every ball batted down in the NFL. Both he and Nix have been in college since 2017! 7 years of college down the drain!

I would take Joe Milton in the 4th or 5th rd. It's a crap shoot at best, I don't see any of the QBs as "special" at list Milton has all the physical traits you want.

Maybe Gallup worth a flier. I don’t know, grasping at straws here.

Fine. What if the QB isn't there next year? Then what? Fans can be patient only for so long. There's already a mini mutiny in this place and we're only in week 1! Lol
That would definitely be the fan reaction, but the front office needs to be bigger picture than that. As mad as the fans will be if we go a couple of years before drafting a QB, they'll be even more mad if we draft a guy and he sucks. Or if we draft a guy that shows flashes and the fans feel he's being held back by inadequacies with the rest of the roster.

We have a pretty petulant, entitled, spoiled fan base. Let's just call a spade a spade. We're in for a lot of trouble if the front office is making decisions off of that.

Harrison Jr is the best player in this draft. Take him and don't look back. He will make whoever is throwing him the ball look better. I'm not sold on Trubisky em, I mean Maye. Another one of these QBs nobody ever heard of until AFTER he was done playing. I think Williams and Maye go 1 and 2. PFF has Daniels ranked as the 22nd best prospect.

Penix's arm motion will get pretty much every ball batted down in the NFL. Both he and Nix have been in college since 2017! 7 years of college down the drain!

I would take Joe Milton in the 4th or 5th rd. It's a crap shoot at best, I don't see any of the QBs as "special" at list Milton has all the physical traits you want.
It’s hard ti disagree with that.
What do you think of the arm talent and winning pedigree of McCarthy?

All I really care about anymore is finding a serviceable LT in free agency. So we can focus on WR in the draft this year and then go after a franchise LT in 2025.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back