PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 2

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not heard much from the Captain lately
He can ruffle feathers
Extremely knowledgeable and one of my favorites
He was online 4-5 days ago. It’s safer to avoid FA signing discussions at this time. I can understand that.

Would you rather work with Trevor Lawrence or Brissette if you are WR.
Would you prefer 0% tax in Florida or 9% in Mass
Pats can not compete with that.
But he will have another mental breakdown do its ok
The Massachusetts State Income Tax only applies to home games

Is Donte Jackson good? A late round pick swap seems like pretty weak compensation for him.
Dionte Johnson is very good, he's actually excellent. But he complains all the time when they dont throw the ball to him, and he takes plays off.

Pats are probably still top 2 or 3 in the league in available cap space this year, and still #1 in the league in cap space in 2025, even after their moves so far.

If they still have a lot of cap space, that means they didnt sign many player contracts, which means they have done almost nothing, Having cap space is only an advantage if you do something with it. :whistle:

Captain is clearly still mourning the loss of “Thanks Dad” Ferentz.

The WR situation is what it is right now. Still holding judgement since very little movement has happened in the market.

But I’m getting a little agitated we haven’t signed more pieces yet in general. We have to bring in some new faces here. This isn’t a “run it back” team.

I was kinda surprised they didn't look at another RB other than Gibson. They must like K. Harris and figure that using him, Stevenson and Gibson as a 3 headed monster will help the offense. Particularly if they move Onwenu back to RG.

It will be interesting to see what happens at the Safety Position. Will they bring in someone from outside, or are they enamored with someone who they think they can get in the middle rounds. Or do they have Isaiah Bolden penciled in.

It’s a failure if they don’t get Higgins…or another high quality WR.

@DaBruinz why?
Meanwhile over-the-hill Hopkins got 1057 yards in 2023. This was another Patriots failure.

Last edited:
Anderson and Hunter are going to be a problem for teams next year. Texans front office has been on fire since the start of last off-season. Spending and dealing aggressively to bring in impact players. Meanwhile, Kraft is guarding his billions and it is status quo bargain hunting in Foxboro, MA.

Nick Caserio is the GM. I wish we could hire guys like that, then we could do well drafting and signing FAs.

The problem with the trade is that your likely settling for a QB that isn't a fit for you at 11. Much like Jones falling to the Pats at 15. As much as I'd love to add Jefferson, you'd be hamstringing the Pats at QB. I don't want the Pats to be in a situation again like they were with Jones. Though part of that was McDaniels not sticking around longer, I admit.

I think that, if they trade down to 11, I'd much rather grab Odunze or Nabers or an OT or possibly trade down than grabbiing a QB that you aren't sold on. Looking at a QB later on whom doesn't have the huge financial investment that you can move on from after 2 years if he's not working out with MINIMAL financial pain would be more beneficial than sinking numerous 1st round picks into a position the way that the Bills and Jets had to.
I think it certainly comes down to their evaluations. McCarthy may or may not be there at 11, but Nix probably will be. His pro day was today and they sent 4 people to it including our new QB Coach. So if they like Nix then this deal works.

If not though then I agree, don’t force it. I probably wouldn’t even make this trade if I’m not sold on what QBs I expect to be there.

Meanwhile over-the-hill Hopkins got 1057 yards in 2023. This was another Patriots failure.

Why don't I agree with you in regards to not getitng Higgins = Failure. Because you have no idea what the Bengals are asking for him. If they want a 2nd round pick, then no, it's not a failure. I'd rather have the pick for an OT. You know. A position that would have a significant improvement on the play of the offense by allowing the QB to throw the ball or the RBs to gain more than 2 yards and a cloud of dust.

Teams have to be built from the Lines out.. It's all well and good to want to add a QB, but if you can't protect him, you will destroy him. We've seen it time and again in the NFL. How many QBs have won the SB taking 40-50 sacks going into the play-offs?

The Pats can still get a top notch WR and a LT in the draft. That's why I'm not on the Tyron Smith Bandwagon unless it's a prove it deal and they still draft an OT to develop to take over. A LT who is likely to miss 9 game out of 17 isn't one I want to invest a ton of money into. And I don't see the point of adding a QB if we're not protecting him with quality up front.

You mean like sign players like Barmore to Extensions?

No. Signing your own players is a given.

Look at the 49ers getting players aggressively, look at the Chiefs going after players every year. I mean like signing FAs like Judon. We will never be a championship team without signing top end FAs, at least a few.

If they still have a lot of cap space, that means they didnt sign many player contracts, which means they have done almost nothing, Having cap space is only an advantage if you do something with it. :whistle:
Agreed. All that cap space is useless if you aren’t going to utilize it beyond resigning some of your own guys. The fact that a 4-13 is still 1st or 2nd in cap space two days into FA is a bad thing.

I want nothing more than to finally get some good high end receivers
Ridley played 5 games in 2021 &2022 seasons.
He has major depression and anxiety
Full year suspension
I just think we need to be smart. Especially during a rebuild year
If can get a high end safe Receiver then Go for it. Even through a trade
Ridley Meh
The fanbase and media are the most welcoming and loving of all the fanbases in the country. It's not gonna be like the Edgar Rent a Wreck situation at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back