PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION OFFICIAL 2023 Patriots Draft Day Discussion: Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand your point. If he loved Gonzalez, he wouldn't have risked losing him for a 4th. This makes sense and could indicate BB is not 100% sold on him.

However, it could also be that BB loved 3 players equally and thought it was worth adding a 4th if he was going to get a player he loved. In this scenario, he loved him some Gonzalez.

Either of these 2 scenarios are possibly correct. Glass half full or half empty.
The trade down from 14 wasn't about how Bill felt about Gonzales, rather it was MORE about how he felt about Brodrick Jones. My belief is that if Bill thought that Jones was a sure fire starting LT for us, then he would have picked him. Hell I probably would have picked him, but for whatever reasons they didn't want the #4 OT. But I was a guy who was hoping that Van Ness would fall.

At any rate, when Bill traded down they had a board that had 3 or 4 players they'd be happy to get at 17. Gonzales was among them. Really who wouldn't have been unhappy with Nolan Smith, or Bresee, or even Mazie Smith, Instead they got the first or second rated CB, who is super fast, quick, and long AND has upside AND is not even 21.

As of tonight, its a very good pick. But history tells us that just over half the guys picked tonight will NOT get their 5th year options picked up.

As for just getting another low 4th for the drop was a bit disappointing. I was hoping it would have been for a 3rd, but it wasn;t.

As of now we have NINE 3rd day picks. What I am hoping is that we use some of those 4 round four picks to get back into the 3rd or second so we end day 2 with 4 picks in the top 100,

I hope we use some of those 6th round picks to get back into the 5th, so we don't miss an entire round

Considering the Pats got Jack, Marcus, Strong, and Zappe in the 4th last year, I'm hoping they have a similar haul of quality players in the mid rounds.

Said it earlier but I wonder if we can get D’Andre Swift for a late pick since he has 1 year left and they just drafted his replacement.

Re: Forbes..love the skills but his weight scares me. I’m curious to see how Forbes at 166lbs is able to cover some of these big wrs.

Yeah I liked everything else about him except that; and that's why I didn't think he'd go ahead of Banks & Porter, never mind Gonzales.

Players who's fall surprised me:
Myles Murphy - Most had him as a top 10 pick. Shocked that the Jetes chose McDonald over him.
Bryan Bresee - Most had him as a top 15 pick.
Will Levis - I'm shocked that 3 QBs went in the top 4 picks. This is the 3rd time in 5 years that 3 QBs were taken in the top 10. Maybe it's just me, but Richardson, Stroud, and Young remind me more of the 2018 draft of Mayfield, Darnold, and Rosen.
Joey Porter, Jr - Was considered of the Top 3 Corners in the draft.

Player's who were surprise picks:
Jahmyr Gibbs - Pretty sure no one saw him going in the 1st.
Emmanuel Forbes - Probably one of the prospects who had the most visits

Biggest move of the day: Texans moving up to #3 to select Anderson.

Picks that weren't a surprise to me:
Mazi Smith going in the 1st round

Defensive line had the most picks with 11.

A couple of thoughts about the Pats' trade/pick:

In retrospect, I believe that when the Cardinals took Paris Johnson so early, we were kinda doomed to not being able to have our cake and eat it too, in regards to adding both a top-125 pick and Broderick Jones at the same time...

If ****sdirt didn't take Jones, I wouldn't have been surprised if the Jete did so anyway.

As soon as Jones was taken off the board, Gonzo became the BPA, no doubt about it. I was pleasantly shocked when the Commandos took Manny Forbes ahead of him. Also pleased that the Pats didn't try to out-smart themselves for once.

Our FO now needs to not leave the building tomorrow night without a Left Tackle of the (Immediate) Future... and a Weapon.
If we move up in 2nd. Who is your choice out of Dewand Jones or Darnell or Mayer.
Or do you have a different target

Gibbs going at 11….Lmaooo Lions on crack. Could have easily traded back and gotten him.

Tighten the first round up to a clean 3 hours (like an NFL game), and it'd be 100x better.
The suits are trying to turn the draft into the Oscars - thinking if they bring in the Jonas Brothers maybe non-fans will tune in. Ridiculous and actually antithetical. Know your audience is the most basic rule in television and today's executive doesn't understand it.

He's super careless with the football. Aside from the physical upside, he's pretty mistake prone, it wouldn't be an upgrade.
It's the combination of that and the seeming (this is just based on reporting I don't know the guy or anything) mental aspect of not caring about that shortfall all that much. One or the other is necessary to make it into the "risk pick" category especially in the 1st rnd- either the potential athleticism/body type to improve or the potential focus and desire to do the same with existing athleticism. Allen had the latter - he was similarly raw, but had the hallmarks of the intense desire to improve.

Not too surprised on Porter. He either wins at the line of scrimmage, or he's in a world of trouble. I'm not actually a big fan. We played less press last year, and we're looking for elite athletes. Porter has make up speed, but watching him get into unwinnable positions covering short and intermediate routes with multiple moves cooled me on his potential.

Or at least cut the clock short once the pick is in. Clearly, they have it if reporters are tipping it.
BSPN doesn't want it to end early. They got crying grandmas to show and ads to sell.

The suits are trying to turn the draft into the Oscars - thinking if they bring in the Jonas Brothers maybe non-fans will tune in. Ridiculous and actually antithetical. Know your audience is the most basic rule in television and today's executive doesn't understand it.
Exactly. BSPN think it's in show business, not the sports business.

If we move up in 2nd. Who is your choice out of Dewand Jones or Darnell or Mayer.
Or do you have a different target
Give me Washington, big as an offensive lineman, can move surprisingly fast and has good hands. His mockdraftables comparison chart compares his measurable to Gronk.

Honestly I would be happy with any of the guys you mentioned or Josh Downs.

Look for the Rams at 36, the Panthers at 39 or the Titans at 41 as teams that could be trade partners because they need picks.

I understand your point. If he loved Gonzalez, he wouldn't have risked losing him for a 4th. This makes sense and could indicate BB is not 100% sold on him.

However, it could also be that BB loved 3 players equally and thought it was worth adding a 4th if he was going to get a player he loved. In this scenario, he loved him some Gonzalez.

Either of these 2 scenarios are possibly correct. Glass half full or half empty.

I suppose Pats figured they could get Banks (similar CB type) if Gonzalez wasn’t there. Also they apparently knew the Commanders were taking Forbes.

I can't really take it 6 ways to Sunday from the uninitiated so I'll end it here.

Bill got his cake and gets to eat it too. Even though he took a unnecessary risk.

If you can't comprehend the point and simply want to disagree with it then you're really only interested in trying to slam dunk on me. Which in this case, you missed.
And I'll end it here: your "dunk-on-me" drama would be more convincing if you were more aware of your own posting. Calling happiness by other posters over getting a great pick+a 4th rounder a "circle-jerk" might be perceived as, you know, a bit insulting, demeaning, condescending...
It's a g-damn FAN forum, ostensibly a place where people who ROOT for a team can come in and be, you know, happy. The idea that being positive gets you called "a homer" with the implications of being unthinking, or less knowledgeable than the forever miserable is so...Boston, it's ridiculous.

Last edited:
CBS had Gibbs as the 14th best prospect. Just saying
I liked him as a first round prospect as well. However, Detroit? They didn’t need him as they already had two pretty good rbs in the fold. Made no sense. Also absolutely love Jack Campbell but at 18? Not sure if they couldn’t find a trade partner to get into the low 30s to ensure the pick or not? Maybe they just loved him that much?

Walter Football despised our first round picks in recent years but this time we got an A+ grade. Must have done something right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes