PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Official 2023 Free Agency Thread

Don't they need around that much to account for the draft picks?
They do need about $4M for draft class, but they won't need it until after the draft. They often spend that money now and then create the money they need later when they need it. Lack of available funds does not prohibit them from making the picks.

The cap can be manipulated so easily if needed…well easily for people that know what they’re doing. It confuses the everloving crap out of me.
Restructure Judon - $5M
OR
Extend Judon - $8M

Extend Henry - $7M
OR
Cut Henry - $10M

Restructure Godchaux - $2.5M

Restructure Wise - $2M

Extend Onwenu - $1.5M

Extend Dugger - $1.5M

Cut Bourne or Parker - $5-6M

Cut Lawrence Guy - $3M

Cut Nick Folk - $2M

Cut Trent Brown - $8M

Good amount of money available here and there.

Juju now Gesicki BOB after his evaluations of our Offense realize that we totally lost the Middle of the Field with that Patricia Offense. :rolleyes: Nice pieces to try and get it back Mac Jones they are fielding a decent Offense around you this time around: make the throws and trust these guys. :cool:

Restructure Judon - $5M
OR
Extend Judon - $8M

Extend Henry - $7M
OR
Cut Henry - $10M

Restructure Godchaux - $2.5M

Restructure Wise - $2M

Extend Onwenu - $1.5M

Extend Dugger - $1.5M

Cut Bourne or Parker - $5-6M

Cut Lawrence Guy - $3M

Cut Nick Folk - $2M

Cut Trent Brown - $8M

Good amount of money available here and there.
Yes, there are $9.5 of restructures, These are readily available, and willl be needed after the draft and through the camp and season,

Extensions could happen, but takew extensive negotiation, but one could be done.

Cuts are not real savings, But if a replacement was available for the same cap hit, a cut could make sense.

I think that cutting or trading Brown will very likely happen, but could wait until late camp, or even after the season starts.

And contracts can be structured to take advantage of next years cap space as well.

Speaking of next years cap, my preference in retainment/extending:
1) Onwenu
2) Dugger
3) Uche
4) Henry
5) Bentley

In Buffalo they are talking about how McKenzie only plays well 2 games a year, against the Patriots. But otherwise all he does is drop the ball, fumble, and runs the wrong routes.

He's been replaced on special teams by Nyheim Himes.

The main reason McKenzie burned us is that McCourty could not track him out of the backfield.

Last edited:
And contracts can be structured to take advantage of next years cap space as well.

Speaking of next years cap, my preference in retainment/extending:
1) Onwenu
2) Dugger
3) Uche
4) Henry
5) Bentley
Riddle me something we committed 5 million to reif an older lineman... Will he even be on the game day roster?

That could have been allocated to CB..

Curran is insinuating the Pats are done on offense. What y’all think?

I think they are done.. add Marcus Jones in the mix. We would be scary if we add a TE or 2 in draft .

I Buffalo they are talking about how McKenzie only plays well 2 games a year, against the Patriots. But otherwise all he does is drop the ball, fumble, and runs the wrong routes.

He's been replaced on special teams by Nyheim Himes.

The main reason McKenzie burned us is that McCourty could not track him out of the backfield.

Posted this in the other thread , but I couldn’t stop laughing at his 2021 game log. 70% of his yearly output in yards came in one game at Gillette:

929F1BEE-76FC-4965-98F7-68FCB677659E.jpeg

Riddle me something we committed 5 million to reif an older lineman... Will he even be on the game day roster?

That could have been allocated to CB..
Yeah, gonna be some buyers remorse on that one. But for a guaranteed 4 mil he will be on the roster im afraid…unless he retires

Yeah, gonna be some buyers remorse on that one. But for a guaranteed 4 mil he will be on the roster im afraid…unless he retires
Ok.. just an odd signing. Good player but to give that much in guranteed money when we clearly need DB help.

I think they are done.. add Marcus Jones in the mix. We would be scary if we add a TE or 2 in draft .
If he sees one he likes, Belichick will sign a competitor for the 5th WR spot or the 3rd TE spot or even a backup IOL.

We need camp bodies and camp competition for the whole roster, but especially the bottom third.

Ok.. just an odd signing. Good player but to give that much in guranteed money when we clearly need DB help.
The problem with yoiur analysis is that Belichick does NOT wait until the #1 or #2 needs are addressed before he signs players. If he sees value that will improve the team, he acts. And, he will indeed sign players who won't make the team. There are positions at which we just don't have enough competition for camp. OT is certainly one example.

Yep don’t like it. Like the idea of having his veteran presence for a young, rookie guard to learn from. But that is making the roster guaranteed money.

If he sees one he likes, Belichick will sign a competitor for the 5th WR spot or the 3rd TE spot or even a backup IOL.

We need camp bodies and camp competition for the whole roster, but especially the bottom third.
We are already at 67 . Add 20 more from draft . So maybe 5-6 remaining.

The dominoes I see are Jeudy for 46 + Bourne/Parker.

Cutting T brown in camp after performance of rookies.

Restructuring Henry and adding 3 more years with performance based initiatives.

The days of bloated guarantees for tier 1a players is over.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back