PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Official 2023 Free Agency Thread

If we're looking at later Adams, then, his sidekick was Valdes-Scantling. A guy who has been underwhelming his whole career. Even in KC where there was no true #1 WR opposite him, he caught 40 balls.

Let's go about it this way. I am going to list the list of top receivers each year for the last few years. You point out the #2 WRs who got a thousand yards or more who aren't receivers who have proven that they could be pretty good #1 WRs on their own like Waddle or Higgins. And if you find any, weed out the ones with the elite QBs or where the #1 WR missed significant amount of time. I am guessing you will not find a #2 WR who got 1,000 yards without those conditions.

Let's go about it this way. I am going to list the list of top receivers each year for the last few years. You point out the #2 WRs who got a thousand yards or more who aren't receivers who have proven that they could be pretty good #1 WRs on their own like Waddle or Higgins. And if you find any, weed out the ones with the elite QBs or where the #1 WR missed significant amount of time. I am guessing you will not find a #2 WR who got 1,000 yards without those conditions.

Well, Godwin, Mike Williams, neither of these 2 are burners, more possession. Cole Beasley came close with 967. Tyler Lockett. Robbie Anderson. Robert Woods. Michael Gallup. Jarvis Landry. That's only going back to 2019.

We let Meyers go over 11M a season, after paying guys like Agholor and Jonnu big $$$ to do jack ****? That sucks man. That really sucks. Bill has something big up his sleeve, right?

The problem was they paid that on severely contracted market so it was 15M+ apy in todays cap

There's still a clear path to improving the offense and it's trading for Hopkins, signing Orlando Brown Jr and drafting JSN at 14. They have the picks and the cap space to do it.

That would be the general idea . but its not really a clear path - first theres serious competition (at least for Brown), second, player has to want to come to NE, which lately is far from given.

Another reason why rostering competitive teams year after year is important.

Trade?
Cousins, this is a word that is foreign to Pats FO.
  1. Let me explain how it works Pats FO. There are a number of players that would help the Pats in 2023.

2. Not all are free agents who you most likely sneer at anyway....after all you are so precise in your Draft acumen. By the way, how do the UDFA look?
Some player talent might be still with their previous Teams but yet said Team might consider an incentive to allow you Pats Front Office, to bid on the services of said player through agreed mutually accepted compensation. This is called a TRADE (I can hear the ohhs and ahhs from the personnel group sitting at their desk with awe as we speak.

Although having the perspective of having to win each hand is admirable, you wind up going home with empty pockets but alas......you have showed them by God! A fair trade does work.

Does the fact that we have missed out on many good players throughout the years that we know about and many we did not nor ever will raise an arched eyebrow to suggest perhaps arrogance is the culprit?

Well now Mr. Foxboro Front Office, the Pats are not assured of a playoff spot. Tom isn't walking through the door as a walking recruitment poster for Foxboro Way.

You might just have to work a little harder and spend a dollar more because we have become a pariah for sports stars to want to set foot in Massachusetts because of liberal government looking to tax the living sh........poop of everyone and there is no relief in sight from the commies at the state house. .......yes Cousins....that is one of the issues...Taxachusetts strikes again.

You have a mediocre QB an Offense that was doomed from the start and a lot of bad apples that poisoned the cauldron. There are some other issues.

Yep we are spoiled here but if you don't feel like doing personnel management there are many people of this site who can do a better job or at the least, pretend.

So putting your feet up on the desk and waiting for the best FA to be passed over and the 2nd and 3rd tier guys who are left over you profess to the Fan base, "He can help us. He's a great ST prospect. Let's see how it works out>"

There are players out there. Get off your arse. There is Hopkins in AZ, Slay in PA, Ekeler in LA, Cooks in Houston, Jeudy in Denver. I can get you those Team's phone number.

If you have cajones there is a kid in Baltimore that as "Felger" said (not a fan of his but true) who can "make us relevant again". If Daniel Jones gets $40mm per year, this mystery player is not that far off value wise. Carr is getting $37.5mm

DW Toys

Player acquisition via blackmail. Please Baby Jesus, let this ultimately backfire in a spectacular manner.

Even if Rodgers does go there, this has the makings of a train wreck. I can see the Jets receivers who are already there saying WTF is the deal here. Garrett Wilson has already opened his mouth when he’s not happy.

Well, Godwin, Mike Williams, neither of these 2 are burners, more possession. Cole Beasley came close with 967. Tyler Lockett. Robbie Anderson. Robert Woods. Michael Gallup. Jarvis Landry. That's only going back to 2019.
Godwin ran 4.42 at the combine at 6’1”, 209 That is plenty fast enough to be more than a possession receiver. He averaged 14-15 ypc during his first three years, prior to the change in offensive philosophy upon Brady’s arrival. Williams ran a 4.54. That’s a big difference and that is reflected in their different playing styles. They are both great in their own way.

My Spidey sense is tingling, that the Patriots are the other team. Lazard has a ridiculous height/speed combination and a is guy who may still have some untapped production potential. He played well last year against the Pats (6/116), which always seems to peak Bill’s interest. The other team is probably just being used to drive up the Jets price. If Rodgers is indeed moving on to NJ and told the Jets to go get Lazard, the Jets likely aren’t going to allow themselves to be outbid.
Cousin
I appreciate the narrative but is Lazard an upgrade over Meyers? Will he be less $.

Not my cup pf tea. Isn't Parker the same dude?
DW Toys

Even if Rodgers does go there, this has the makings of a train wreck. I can see the Jets receivers who are already there saying WTF is the deal here. Garrett Wilson has already opened his mouth when he’s not happy.
I hope that's the case but it's also possible he makes them legit.
The Jete almost made the playoffs last year with some of the worst QB play in recent memory. Adding Rodgers will stabilize that position and they still have a great defense so I hope he retires

Cousin
I appreciate the narrative but is Lazard an upgrade over Meyers? Will he be less $.

Not my cup pf tea. Isn't Parker the same dude?
DW Toys
Yes he is.
Lazard provides you more than receiving productivity he's also excellent at run blocking. A lot of GBs major running plays came from his blocking in the second level

Updated look at the Pats external free agent haul so far….
1678809658393.gif

Patience, my fellow Pats fanatics….the fireworks are coming, I just know it.

Godwin is paid as a #1 WR because he is an #1 WR. And he had Brady. Cole Beasley had Allen. Williams had Herbert. All eliminated from the discussion as I said. I already said elite QBs is a disqualifier because elite QBs make WRs better. Jimmy G is no elite QB.

And even then, Beasely didn't consistently get 1,000 yards. He got close just one year and never got 1,000 yards. And Mike Williams has gotten two 1,000 yard seasons in his six year career.

And looked at the other guys to see if any had disqualifying factors like the #1 WR the year they got 1,000 yards was injured for a significant amount of time. Did any of the other guys have three years in a row where they had 1,000 yard seasons as you stated Meyers would or did they have one fluke 1,000 yard season?

So at least we can agree on one thing. It is riduculous to believe that Meyers is likely to get 1,000 yards in each of the next three years. You have been unable to find a single #2 WR who has done that without an elite QB or being an #1 WR quality WR themselves. I will concede it is possible that Meyers may have one year over the next three where he might get a 1,000 yards if you are willing to admit it is next to impossible that he get 1,000 yards in all three.

greg the leg now missing field goals in new york hopefully

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back