PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread: Day 3

I'm hoping their decision to stay away from Edge and DT means that they've had discussions with Flowers and/or Hicks (or others). - AGREE

Also wondering if there are some trades coming:

Harry (can't see any way he stays on this team), but not sure anyone's taking him from us;
Harris (I'd hate it, but after Michel, I never say never);
Agholor ($10 million savings and they have Parker and Thornton);
Stidham, if they can get anything.
Bryant probably on the hot seat, as is Williams.

Pretty sure Bailey is sticking around for a while, or they would have grabbed a top punter.
Wynn seems a lock, possibly an extension, since they didn't draft a successor.

Harry - there is no spot on the team for Harry, and I am amazed he had no trade value. I am puzzled.
Harris - Strong will sit and learn for a year. BB rarely plays rookies. Stevenson did not play much last year except for when there was an injury. I think Harris plays a lot this year and leaves as a UFA. Strong and Stevenson for the next two years.
Stidham - The Pats will not carry 4 QBs, so I assume Stidham is gone this August when some other teams' QB gets injured and Stidham's backup projection makes him more valuable in a trade.
Agholor - I would love to see Agholor and Thornton lined up on opposite sides of the field. Boy that will open up the middle for Bourne, Henry, Meyers, and Smith. Imagine lining up a combination of 5 WRs and TEs and their roles are not redundant - we have not seen that in a long time.
Bryant - Let's hope he is gone. Please, please, please. I rarely root against a player, but have seen Bryant burned so many times I can not help it.
Wynn - If I remember correctly we lost Solder and Wynn was drafted and started as a rookie. Steuber is way too slow in my opinion (a 7.96 on the 3cone - OUCH). The mystery man is Cajuste - he gets better every year and maybe he is a long term option. I do not think Herron is stout or quick enough. My guess is either Wynn signs an extension to prove he can last without getting injured, or the Pats plan to play Cajuste.

Harry - there is no spot on the team for Harry, and I am amazed he had no trade value. I am puzzled.
Harris - Strong will sit and learn for a year. BB rarely plays rookies. Stevenson did not play much last year except for when there was an injury. I think Harris plays a lot this year and leaves as a UFA. Strong and Stevenson for the next two years.
Stidham - The Pats will not carry 4 QBs, so I assume Stidham is gone this August when some other teams' QB gets injured and Stidham's backup projection makes him more valuable in a trade.
Agholor - I would love to see Agholor and Thornton lined up on opposite sides of the field. Boy that will open up the middle for Bourne, Henry, Meyers, and Smith. Imagine lining up a combination of 5 WRs and TEs and their roles are not redundant - we have not seen that in a long time.
Bryant - Let's hope he is gone. Please, please, please. I rarely root against a player, but have seen Bryant burned so many times I can not help it.
Wynn - If I remember correctly we lost Solder and Wynn was drafted and started as a rookie. Steuber is way too slow in my opinion (a 7.96 on the 3cone - OUCH). The mystery man is Cajuste - he gets better every year and maybe he is a long term option. I do not think Herron is stout or quick enough. My guess is either Wynn signs an extension to prove he can last without getting injured, or the Pats plan to play Cajuste.
Cajuste was projected as a starter in the league. I like him quite a bit - but he’s also in his last year, drafted in 2019.

Last edited:
Canister was projected as a starter in the league. I like him quite a bit - but he’s also in his last year, drafted in 2019.

Yes I know. But he was OK in camp last year, but not great during the season, so who knows. If he emerges in his 2nd healthy season he would be cheap on a 2 or 4 year deal - his size and athleticism are OK. OT is an expensive position and it would be nice not having to use our 2023 1st on an OT.

Last edited:
Stevenson played quite a bit. He gained 606 yards on the ground (4.6 per carry) with 5 TD’s and 123 receiving yards. That’s excellent for a reserve RB.

I'd expect K.Harris to be stashed like D.Harris was for his first year ...'redshirt'. MAYBE he gets the call in the event of an emergency.

I'd expect BB to lean on D.Harris this season esp early, for 2 reasons.. #1 it's going to continue to add to D.Harris's value - which may increase trade value should we find ourselves in a situation to deal him and b) insures he gets a shot at a nice contracts in FA. #2 keeps Stevenson Fresh for his incoming 'lead back role'.

There IS potential that D.Harris is moved late this offseason as his value is pretty high right now considering he was one of the league leaders in TDs.

I expect Pierre Strong to be the change of pace, Emergency RB role. Given his projections and his tenacity in picking up blitzes ..I'd wager that the pats are going to try and mold him in the James White ..3rd down role. Combined with his speed that could be devastating. Of all the RBs on board now, I'd expect him to get the 2nd contract.

K. Harris next year (or later this season) slides into Stevenson's current role as RB2..as Stevenson slides into RB1 Pierre Strong slides into 3rd down/change of pace back.

Next year we draft another rb and keep this cycle going. Pats seem to have this RB thing down to a science - it's impressive roster management.

Stevenson played quite a bit. He gained 606 yards on the ground (4.6 per carry) with 5 TD’s and 123 receiving yards. That’s excellent for a reserve RB.

Agreed, but that was after Michel moved on. I doubt Harris moves on, so Strong will be behind Harris and Stevenson in 2022. Baring injury, I doubt Strong plays a lot. It will be interesting if he beats out JJ, and I think we will see a lot of Strong in 2023. Stevenson and Strong in 2023/2024, after one more tweak to the OL, could be very special.

If Harris or Stevenson are injured I think we will see a lot of Strong. He was a senior and is ready to go. Comparatively, Thornton is only 20 right now and needs a year to adjust and grow physically.

Agreed, but that was after Michel moved on. I doubt Harris moves on, so Strong will be behind Harris and Stevenson in 2022. Baring injury, I doubt Strong plays a lot. It will be interesting if he beats out JJ, and I think we will see a lot of Strong in 2023. Stevenson and Strong in 2023/2024, after one more tweak to the OL, could be very special.

If Harris or Stevenson are injured I think we will see a lot of Strong. He was a senior and is ready to go. Comparatively, Thornton is only 20 right now and needs a year to adjust and grow physically.
What are your thoughts on the OL regarding the tweak? Our current projection is Wynn-Strange-Andrews-Onwenu-Brown, which seems like it SHOULD be pretty good to run behind, but mostly to the right side.

What are your thoughts on the OL regarding the tweak? Our current projection is Wynn-Strange-Andrews-Onwenu-Brown, which seems like it SHOULD be pretty good to run behind, but mostly to the right side.

Agreed. Andrews or Wynn could be upgraded in 2023, or Brown might have to be replaced. It is a good OL, but fragile.

I'd expect K.Harris to be stashed like D.Harris was for his first year ...'redshirt'. MAYBE he gets the call in the event of an emergency.
somebody always gets injured in camp, so that might determine who gets the red shirt. Plus White needs to show he is fully recovered. Could he get stashed on PUP for start of the season?

Agreed. Andrews or Wynn could be upgraded in 2023, or Brown might have to be replaced. It is a good OL, but fragile.

Think it will mainly be the tackles getting moved on unless they play very well this season and show they can stay healthy, which has been the major problem. Would be surprised at Andrews, mainly due to his experience.

Yes I know. But he was OK in camp last year, but not great during the season, so who knows. If he emerges in his 2nd healthy season he would be cheap on a 2 or 4 year deal - his size and athleticism are OK. OT is an expensive position and it would be nice not having to use our 2023 1st on an OT.
"Canister" (Phone autocorrect) lol. Seems fitting, somehow.

Think it will mainly be the tackles getting moved on unless they play very well this season and show they can stay healthy, which has been the major problem. Would be surprised at Andrews, mainly due to his experience.
I think both Brown and Wynn may have durability problems. Not so sure about Brown, he stayed healthy for his first time here, might just be he needs the right conditioning routine and didn’t get it after he left us. Think they are both closer to the end than the beginning, maybe past their best days, but hoping Brown will prove that wrong for a couple of years.

Per Reiss, James White is still not medically cleared to participate in the on field OTC activities. That might explain why 2 RBs were drafted. The other explanation is Strong and Harris are good players. I think both will be on the 53.

somebody always gets injured in camp, so that might determine who gets the red shirt. Plus White needs to show he is fully recovered. Could he get stashed on PUP for start of the season?
White’s injury is a big deal. He needs to show he can carry the rock similar to what he has done in the past. I think drafting 2 RB’s indicates concern that this is not an easy recovery for an RB.

White’s injury is a big deal. He needs to show he can carry the rock similar to what he has done in the past. I think drafting 2 RB’s indicates concern that this is not an easy recovery for a RB.
If you look at White's contract, it seems as much a courtesy as anything else, with only $500k guaranteed. White said he can still play and wants to...the Pats rightly will give him that shot.

I'd love him back and playing the way we know he can. The team cannot count on that, however.

Strange will play, likely start. The Bill doesn't play rookies doesn't generally apply to the first rounders.

I was thrilled by this year's Pats draft. It may be one of their best ever.

1 - They didn't draft any guys with initials as their first name.
2 - Also no guys with first and last names that you could reverse. Tyquan Thornton is close though.
3 - No players with apostrophe's in their name.
4 - Let's see. I know there was another pet peeve of mine. Oh yeah. No Billy Jacks or Bobby Joes. You get one first name, not two.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back