PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2011 Senior Bowl thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the best things about the Senior Bowl is how some sites have to eat their words when things such as a player's arm length comes out.

I know that Scott Wright is going to have to go back and change some things on players who he claims have "short arms". One such is Jason Pinkston who has 34 1/2" arms.

If 34 1/2" arms are "short" I would hate to see what Wright thinks of 29 1/2" arms..

Cameron Jordan at 6'4 1/8 and 288 with those 34 1/2" arms could be someone to look at for the RDE position..

Pretty amazing that both Carimi and Constanzo came in at 6'07 1/8 and 35 1/4" arms..

Ryan Kerrigan coming in at 6'3 and 7/8" is good.. His 33 1/2" arms are good as well..

I like all of these guys you listed as potential draft picks of the Patriots. Either Jordan or Kerrigan (if they are there) with our first 1st rounder would be a good start to draft day, IMO.

Solder is a LT through and through - I see no way that he ends up as a RT in the NFL. Very good in pass-protection but isn't the best run-blocker yet.

I think he could be better at RT than LT. He's a good run blocker, too--much better than most give him credit for. I actually have had him in most of my mocks for the Patriots, assuming that Vollmer will shift over to the left side, and Solder can take his place. Resign Mankins, draft a mauler at center, and we have a pretty nasty line.

I like all of these guys you listed as potential draft picks of the Patriots. Either Jordan or Kerrigan (if they are there) with our first 1st rounder would be a good start to draft day, IMO.

Kerrigan has that justin bieber haircut thing going. Looks ridiculous. I wouldn't draft him based on that alone. :mad:

Kerrigan has that justin bieber haircut thing going. Looks ridiculous. I wouldn't draft him based on that alone. :mad:

First off, Elway was sportin that cut long before the better part of Bieber was a stain on his parents mattress.

Next, if a player can get the job done I don't much care about his haircut.

Finally, they buzz their hair off during training camp anyway.

Why the knock on Bieber's haircut? It obviously has made him internationally famous and successful. Who's to say it won't happen again with Kerrigan as a Patriot? :D

The wild thing about this draft is that there are not many interior players but plenty of tackles available.

The Patriots are meeting with Iowa DL Christian Ballard tomorrow morning.

I hope its just a meeting.I am not a fan of the iowa players.

One of the best things about the Senior Bowl is how some sites have to eat their words when things such as a player's arm length comes out.
I gotta admit that I was completely wrong about Von Miller. He's got decent height and his arms are quite long. He does weigh about what I expected, though.

The Patriots are meeting with Iowa DL Christian Ballard tomorrow morning.
Are they going to supply him with a ball GPS?:bricks:

I think he could be better at RT than LT. He's a good run blocker, too--much better than most give him credit for. I actually have had him in most of my mocks for the Patriots, assuming that Vollmer will shift over to the left side, and Solder can take his place. Resign Mankins, draft a mauler at center, and we have a pretty nasty line.

Agreed. Sideline Scouting also has his best fit as a RT. But having two tackles that can play either position is not a bad thing.

Sideline Scouting - Nate Solder Scouting Report

Do you like Wisniewski or is he a little low in growth potential for you ?

As I just posted on another thread I would LOVE to get :

1a - Solder (or preferred OT)
1b - Wisniewski (Pouncy works if W is gone)

Then, like you said, re-sign Mankins. That gives us 4 + Koppen and Wisniewski replaces him in 2012 then we just need one guard and we're set.

then at 2a - Cameron Heyard

And I'm still working on the rest.

Where do you guys grade these OT in a generic draft, do you think they're #17 quality ?

Last edited:
I hope its just a meeting.I am not a fan of the iowa players.

Well, Kirk Ferentz is one of BB's close coaching buddies and BB does get info from Ferentz..

Anyone see KJ Wright out of Mississippi St. play?? At 6'3 1/8" and a 34 1/2 in arm length, he could be trouble as a pass rusher.. Especially if he has moves and truly does run in the 4.6 range.

I did. The thing that got my attention was his run defense - the way he always seemed to be in on the play, tackled securely and shut down the edge. He and Chris White worked really well together; both have the proverbial non-stop motor. I didn't notice his pass rush or coverage, though.

I would want my RT to get much more of a push than Solder brings to the table.

I think one thing to consider is Solder has basically only been playing OT for three years. He came out of HS as a TE, redshirted his first year, played Blocking TE/ST his Fresh year and didn't switch to OT until his Soph year.

2008 (Soph) - 3 Touchdown Blocks, allowed 1 Sack and 14 QB Pressures
2009 (Junior) - 7 TD Blocks, allowed 3 Sacks/4 Pressures, 5 Penalties
2010 (Senior) - 10 TD Blocks, allowed 1 Sack/3 Pressures, 1 Penalty

Every year he has gotten consistantly better and has the most upside of all the OT's this year IMO. He can only get better if he learns under Scar.

He sounds like Vollmer 2.0 to me since that is almost the same route he took to becoming an OT.

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/vollmer_sebastian00.html

Last edited:
So, Connolly allowed ZERO sacks?

Anyway, it's been widely noted that one of the reasons for Brady's few picks was that he was accepting a sack rather than forcing a throw far more often. IOW, raw sack numbers taken out of context rarely tell the whole story. At least not enough to flat out demonize a guy.

Right but Light still gave up double the sacks of any other lineman. Numbers don't mean everything. But that is definitely not good. Light was never very athletic anyways. With age, that has not gotten better.

I see a lot of EYE-POPPING numbers on these OL. A lot of guys 6'5 or taller with 34" or longer arms. This really could be the year to draft OT.

James Brewer Indiana OL 6062 323 10 3/8 35 3/8
Gabe Carimi Wisconsin OL 6071 315 10 3/8 35 1/4
Anthony Castonzo Boston College OL 6071 305 10 3/4 35 1/4
Nate Solder Colorado OL 6082 314 9 3/4 34 1/2
Marcus Gilbert OL Florida 6064 329 9 7/8 34
DeMarcus Love OL Arkansas 6045 318 9 1/2 35
Derek Sherrod OL Mississippi State 6055 312 11 35 1/2
Lee Ziemba OL Auburn 6060 317 9 1/2 33 1/2
Senior Bowl Measurements: North
Senior Bowl Measurements: South

That's over a half dozen players in the Senior Bowl alone that feature those prototype OT measurements. Unless there is an early run on tackles, I have a feeling that we cant wait until 28 and still get a starter worthy OT.

DE/OLB Kerrigan vs OT Solder...

Pats & Senior Bowl: Ryan Kerrigan - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Excerpt:

...one of the highlights of practice was watching Kerrigan and Solder go at each other. Solder had the edge run-blocking, but what I love about Kerrigan is how he gets after the quarterback. He has a great blend of explosiveness and power. He's so quick. Even though he's 255 pounds, he plays with power to get under a 300- or 315-pound tackle and drive him back. Those two guys were really going at it. It was competitive. One thing you could tell is that Kerrigan really loves playing football."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back