PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offense injuries known and suspected -- the elephant in the room?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady's injury and "decline" is obvious, was so lat year and even more so now..

While the receivers could be better, many of Brady's throws are off target and some of the dropped balls are crappy passes..
No, an official drop (statistically) is considered to be a catchable ball. The Patriots lead the league in drops -- Meyers, Edelman, Sanu and Michel being big contributors. Most of the off-target passes draw from Brady's injury, poor OL protection and poor route running due to receiver injury/inexperience/inability to practice effectively.

I swear you do not watch the games, Pats-panic

His problem is not lack of zip. It's too much zip. He has no touch. No feel.

Yup, and if you have ever had an elbow injury you know you loose feeling in your fingers and your fingers sometimes even feel tingly. This sounds like a valid explanation. I do think injuries are pilling up just lie 2015 and this is really impacting the team.

No, an official drop (statistically) is considered to be a catchable ball. The Patriots lead the league in drops -- Meyers, Edelman, Sanu and Michel being big contributors. Most of the off-target passes draw from Brady's injury, poor OL protection and poor route running due to receiver injury/inexperience/inability to practice effectively.

I mean if you consider the throws to Michel and the fourth down incompletion to Sanu "drops" I am not sure what to tell you. Those were both more on the QB than on the other dude.

No need to blast Sanu with a max velocity throw on a crosser. And the one to Michel was just badly placed.

More and more convinced its the elbow making it difficult to put the right amount of touch on it.

I mean if you consider the throws to Michel and the fourth down incompletion to Sanu "drops" I am not sure what to tell you. Those were both more on the QB than on the other dude.

No need to blast Sanu with a max velocity throw on a crosser. And the one to Michel was just badly placed.

More and more convinced its the elbow making it difficult to put the right amount of touch on it.
I don't recall off the top of my head what specific throws you're referring to but if they were uncatchable they wouldn't be considered drops. Drops are a league-wide statistic so it must be obvious and not from a bad throw.

Any chance we rest Brady week 17 regardless of the outcome of the bills game and with the bye on the line?

Brady is definitely having physical issues, the question is is it something that would’ve happened five or 10 years ago? Who knows, it’s obviously harder to heal as you get older.

The Pats have to get the bye, and give the receivers two weeks, at which point I think (hope) they’ll be ok.

The most obvious health concern this year is Mason, which reminds me of Mankins. The guy is tough as nails, was an absolute beast, and is pretty damn poor this year, which just doesn’t happen, or most likely doesn’t. So he’s the one who is obviously hurt, and the fear is that rest won’t make any difference this season.

Yup, and if you have ever had an elbow injury you know you loose feeling in your fingers and your fingers sometimes even feel tingly. This sounds like a valid explanation. I do think injuries are pilling up just lie 2015 and this is really impacting the team.
No question.

I'm still baffled Tom wore a bandage around his elbow to his presser a couple of weeks ago. He's never done that before

Any chance we rest Brady week 17 regardless of the outcome of the bills game and with the bye on the line?
I think we need the Queefs to lose next week

I swear you do not watch the games, Pats-panic

His problem is not lack of zip. It's too much zip. He has no touch. No feel.
Hes not throwing passes that split the uprights.

On a 3rd down pass to Sanu that sailed high, Brady had Burkhead for a 15 yard out route the right sideline. A pass that old Brady would zip in there and the defender would have no prayer to get. Brady is taking the easy right in front of him stuff. Screens and such. Whites TD was a short screen. The semi long ball to Harry that was called back was a rainbow.

I don't recall off the top of my head what specific throws you're referring to but if they were uncatchable they wouldn't be considered drops. Drops are a league-wide statistic so it must be obvious and not from a bad throw.

What is an uncatchable throw? At what point does whoever makes up this metric point blame on the WR and not the thrower?

Was the pass to the flat that hit Michel right in his groin as he was twisting around counted as drop? A different back might have caught it even though it was a pretty bad throw given the free space and Sony's momentum.

Personally I hate how people call almost every incompletion a drop nowadays. It implies the receiving player screwed it something up when often the real breakdown might be somewhere else (eg. OL allowing pressure, QB throwing too early or while on move).

Last edited:

I wonder what the swing pass to Michel on the right was called that he dropped? It was a little low and slightly behind him.

What is an uncatchable throw? At what point does whoever makes up this metric point blame on the WR and not the thrower?

Was the pass to the flat that hit Michel right in his groin as he was twisting around count as drop? A different back might have caught it even though it was a pretty bad throw given the free space and Sony's momentum.

Personally I hate how people call almost every incompletion a drop nowadays. It implies the receiving player screwed it something up when often the real breakdown might be somewhere else (eg. OL allowing pressure, QB throwing too early or while on move).
I'm not the official judge of that, but I'd assume if the receiver gets both hands on a ball it's deemed catchable.

Here's a leaderboard topped by our own J.E. (not sure if it's up to date): NFL Leaders - Pass Dropped | NBCSports

Last edited:
A great post and nice reminder for why getting the bye week is a must. The team needed it badly last season, too. Getting it paid immediate dividends in the divisional round. In a perfect world, Edelman would have sat yesterday. But he needs to go because this team cannot slip up down the stretch.

On a 3rd down pass to Sanu that sailed high, Brady had Burkhead for a 15 yard out route the right sideline. A pass that old Brady would zip in there and the defender would have no prayer to get. Brady is taking the easy right in front of him stuff. Screens and such. Whites TD was a short screen. The semi long ball to Harry that was called back was a rainbow.

Do you think that injuries are at play for Brady?

Personally I hate all the Rob Rob Parker/Max Kellerman want-a-bees who seem to take delight in pointing out every Brady incompletion and interception. We get it. You guys are smart.

The throw to Harry was a good one.

There were multiple throws to Sanu, Sony and JE that were off the mark and coming in hot.

I've also said his internal clock is operating faster than it should.

There are multiple issues going on. Including the elbow.

I think it’s a very good question. They need to beat the Bills which locks up the division and the Bills are a bit tougher. In Week 17, assuming KC beats Chicago next week, NE needs to beat Miami to get the 2 seed and a bye week. The question becomes - do you keep wearing out Brady to give him a week off the next week, or do you just give him Week 17 off and try to win with your top-shelf defense and a game plan built around Stidham? Best case scenario is you still beat the Dolphins and everybody gets the bye week and a home game, worst case scenario is no bye and they have to play in the wild card round (at home) but Brady still got a week off, but then you have to play the next 1-2 rounds away.

I think the most importance will be placed on winning out to secure the bye week for the whole team (and there are a lot of nagging injuries so they could use it), but there’s some credence to the thought of giving Brady rest, I think. I wonder if they think they can beat Miami at home with Stidham.

This 2019 squad NEEDS a Bye. Unfortunately, the cost of achieving the Bye may hurt key players more than a 2 week hiatus can cure. Conundrum.

And to think, I remember a time when people said brady arm is stronger than manning's zip wise and it was to his advantage while manning's arm deteriorated.

I walk in here and see people *****ing that brady throwing the ball too hard instead of at the grown ass professional receivers catching balls that hit their ****ing hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes