PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O/T: Parcells gets generous

In an alternate universe where Parcells and Kraft have a good relationship, was there a shot they beat Green Bay? Given Favre’s history starting the following year, I think it was possible.

Also, would Parcells be able to get the Pats passed Denver in 1997 and 1998? I think at worst with a healthy Martin they return to the AFCCG in 1997. Even with Carroll, they get the #2 seed and meet Denver with a healthy Martin and Glenn. They would’ve blown by Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
The Pats were a joke when Tuna arrived. Practice on a hay field riding there on the back of a pick up truck.

He changed the culture of the team and without his foundation of draft picks its doubtful the Pats win in 2001.

Ty Law, Milloy, Ted Johnson, Troy Brown, Bruschi, Mcginest, Vineteri. UFAs Bryan Cox, Otis Smith, Roman Phifer.

The Pats were a joke when Tuna arrived. Practice on a hay field riding there on the back of a pick up truck.

He changed the culture of the team and without his foundation of draft picks its doubtful the Pats win in 2001.

Ty Law, Milloy, Ted Johnson, Troy Brown, Bruschi, Mcginest, Vineteri. UFAs Bryan Cox, Otis Smith, Roman Phifer.
Were they drafted by him or his nemesis.

I get the draft picks part but wgaf about the ufa’s? Bryan Cox was drafted by the Dolphins, Phifer by the Rams and Smith by the Eagles. Belichick signed those players from the Jets, just as Parcells signed them from other teams. So as far as I’m concerned BB gets the nod for those 3 for Bringing them to the Pats.

I get the draft picks part but wgaf about the ufa’s? Bryan Cox was drafted by the Dolphins, Phifer by the Rams and Smith by the Eagles. Belichick signed those players from the Jets, just as Parcells signed them from other teams. So as far as I’m concerned BB gets the nod for those 3 for Bringing them to the Pats.
Parcells was basically a "no I in team" guy. A bunch of no name guys playing for a championship. Cox, Smith and Phifer all went through Tuna training prior to joining the Pats.

BB modeled the original Pats after Parcells teams.

That's admirable of him. But sad that these guys got in that way.

That's admirable of him. But sad that these guys got in that way.
A "financial crisis" for the average person doesn't usually require $200,000. Nice gesture, and I'm sure he's not "lending" the money lightly, but on the surface this feels akin to lending money to drug addicts in terms of the expected level of financial responsibility of the recipient.

That's a lot of money to give away for Parcels. He's not wealthy, he's just rich. It is definitely something that will be felt when his will is read.
Can't know the circumstances of these players but Parcels isn't dumb so he's probably ensured that he isn't pouring good money after bad.

I got to figure that Parcells was the guru.
Yet the "guru" had this to say.....
"If they want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries."

Parcells was basically a "no I in team" guy.
But there certainly was an "I" in "Bill"

Can't think of a single NFL head coach who leveraged his successes more than Parcells....a mercenary available to the highest bidder.
(Basketball's Rick Pitino is a good comparison)

OT: Did I mention I ...............
Excuse Me What GIF

on his Jersey shore front lawn soon after he defected to the JESTs.

A "financial crisis" for the average person doesn't usually require $200,000. Nice gesture, and I'm sure he's not "lending" the money lightly, but on the surface this feels akin to lending money to drug addicts in terms of the expected level of financial responsibility of the recipient.
Perhaps Parcells does not have conditions on which the money must be used. Perhaps he's simply lending them money to support them, as a kind gesture. How they use that money may not be important to him.

Let's suppose one (or some) of them use that money to obtain drugs to experience temporary relief. Is that a wise long-term investment? Absolutely not. Is experiencing temporary relief from suffering - be it mental or physical - a good outcome in this circumstance? I guess that's a philosophical question for each individual to decide for themselves.

It's Parcells money. I don't pretend to know how he wants/expects them to utilize the funds, but he lent it, so ultimately he can feel however he wishes about how the players utilize it.

He was a great Coach that improved the culture of NE football. The way he left wasn’t ideal but Kraft also wasn’t willing to give him the autonomy to run the team. All of those things led to BB coming here and we know how that has worked out.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back