PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Number of 2021 Mac Jones Starts

Some solid points.

We will get at least one measurable: who is on the Week 1 roster?

I agree if Jones gets in we're having a bad season.

Some say we are better off using this year as the baptism by fire year, personally I really doubt that, better to give him a red shirt season to learn our complex offense.

BB set up this year's team to play to Cam's strengths, it's going to be a lot to ask Mac to beat out a much more developed player, both physically and mentally.

Next year there will be no need to sign Cam, and perhaps we can add more/better WRs to give him some more targets.

The real wild card is Cam showing up and stinking out the joint. I'm thinking that's unlikely, but you never know.

Brady memory
In 2000 he was chosen in the sixth round of the NFL draft by the New England Patriots, and he worked diligently during his (first season to bulk up physically and improve his strength and technique). If Cam stinks up the joint then it's Stidham 1 more time.
Fans will put the Pressure on Cam, he's gonna hear it if he poops the bed. I like the talent around him alot, especially Bourne and the 2 pass catching TE's. I think we are going back to Gronk, Hernandez style offense, run first, and play action the hell out of them. Cam like's the center of the field more also.

Brady memory
In 2000 he was chosen in the sixth round of the NFL draft by the New England Patriots, and he worked diligently during his (first season to bulk up physically and improve his strength and technique). If Cam stinks up the joint then it's Stidham 1 more time.
I recall the documentary where Tom read what his coaches wrote about him after his first season (basically, too slow mentally and physically) and used that to light a fire under his ass and bear down.

Fans will put the Pressure on Cam, he's gonna hear it if he poops the bed.
Sure, but BB has to decide if MJ is ready independent of the noise.

I don't think he's worried about getting fired if he doesn't put MJ in.

I think you guys are ahead of your ski''s on this one. If we use the Brady template he is the competing on the third team. Cam get first team, Stidham gets second. Then Mac's first job is to know the playbook, then go after Stidham's spot. Let's see when he beats out Stidham first. PFW should be able to tell us early on his competing level with the 3's. Once he get's the o.k. from Josh he will take reps from Stid. Then he has to show some serious competency of the offense. Cam would have to put balls on the ground with the new talent then coach will give him first team reps. My gut tells me Cam will play better but he has limits. If Mac gets in early we will be having a bad season, don't want that. That means Cam and Stid spit the bit and lost some games.
The next time Cam shows ANY competency with the offense will be the first time. And Stid won't play ahead of Mac.

The next time Cam shows ANY competency with the offense will be the first time.
Someone with no competency with our offense won seven games leading it...

I'd put it that somehow, despite Cam they won 7 games and put most of it on BB.

I recall the documentary where Tom read what his coaches wrote about him after his first season (basically, too slow mentally and physically) and used that to light a fire under his ass and bear down.

Sure, but BB has to decide if MJ is ready independent of the noise.

I don't think he's worried about getting fired if he doesn't put MJ in.
By all accounts Mac Jones is highly intelligent on and off the football field, I don't think it will take him long to get up to speed, but I don't see him playing much this first year. Very few QBs start their first year.

Some have mentioned that some aspects of Alabama’s offense is similar to the Patriots. I hope that’s true.

Passsing yards in those 7 wins
274 (jets)
126 (69 by newton)
238 (jets)

Last edited:
Some have mentioned that some aspects of Alabama’s offense is similar to the Patriots. I hope that’s true.
But 'Bama had better wideouts.

This is Cam's team until he loses the job. I don't expect the kid to start week 1.

This is Cam's team until he loses the job. I don't expect the kid to start week 1.
Cam will lose his job in TC when the rookie will have more knowledge and competence on the offense than Cam after one year in the system.

Passsing yards in those 7 wins
274 (jets)
126 (69 by newton)
238 (jets)

Newton's and Patriots run heavy style of play last year wasn't designed to pick up tons of passing yards. Even when Newton won MVP and led his team to a 15-1 record, it wasn't with crazy high passing stats. He threw for 3837 yards that year with a 59.8% completion percentage. Biggest difference between this past season and that year was the amount of touchdown passes. Newton with same health as last year will do better passing this year since his receivers are a little better and tight ends much better.

I like Mac Jones chances of being better than Cam Newton within the next 1-2 years simply because I am optimistic about Mac Jones and not because I think Cam Newton isn't capable of still being a fairly good NFL starter for the next 1-2 years. Newton's MVP days appear to be over but his days of being decent may not be.

I agree with most everyone's opinion on redshirting Mac Jones this year. My fear is Cam is not going to be able to hold up his end of the deal. I just don't think he is the quarterback he was and even then he doesn't fit the Patriots scheme overall. Stidham is a mystery combining these two thoughts is what made me think we might see Jones for around 8 games.

Who knows in a perfect world he would get his red shirt year with us having a good season along the way and then coming in next year and being competitive right out of the gate.

It will be an interesting ride one way or the other this year.

I’m predicting 1 start. At the end of the season, the last game, after the Pats have wrapped up a playoff spot in game 16.

Cam starts for the first 8 games, Jones steps in after a huge deficit and brings the team back to a goal line stand shy of winning.

He starts the final 12 games only losing twice in the regular season. Then beats KC in the AFC championship game and goes on the take down the Bucs in the Superbowl. Sounds like a good season to me gents

Cam starts for the first 8 games, Jones steps in after a huge deficit and brings the team back to a goal line stand shy of winning.

He starts the final 12 games only losing twice in the regular season. Then beats KC in the AFC championship game and goes on the take down the Bucs in the Superbowl. Sounds like a good season to me gents

Attachments

• 1620219209878.jpeg
    1620219209878.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 5
My hope is 12 games. That may be pie in the sky. But the progression is for Mac to beat out Stid in TC as the back up and then continue to creep up on Cam the first month of the season and take over in October.

This team is the perfect landing spot for a rookie QB to take over.
Last year we threw less than 20 times in 7 games. We averaged only 27 passes a game. If cam Newton is playing we will do the same because we only want him throwing when absolutely or when the running game creates a favorable pass situation.
That is what you want to do with a rookie. Don’t put the gang on his shoulders unless it’s the only choice you have. Give him
success by staying on schedule, not needing 3rd and 18s, and be willing to run a draw and punt in the right situations. Find his spots to grow into being ready to run a balanced offense or a pass heavy offense vs the right opponent.

We have
A very strong ol
A very strong running game
2 excellent TEs which are a key to don’t needing to force throws
A system that has won a ton of games only needing to dink and dunk.
A very good coaching staff that has been through this process the time it worked better than any other.

If you ask jones to throw on play action, against a stacked box and on 3rd down with a reasonable distance to go, like what we did last year, you will see that the first read is often open due to play design, and timing of knowing when he is open, throwing at the right time and accuracy are what by far matter most. These are jones best strengths abs newton biggest weaknesses.
There will be games where we fall behind or we need 2 minute drills and his rookie inexperience will show but that is how he develops and let’s be honest we are’s screwed in those situations with newton.
I expect Jones gets a lot of preseason playing time, and one on one tutelage from bb like Brady got, which may lead him to be the starter out of the gate, but at them worst will have him starting by Halloween
The other positive is Mac can run the Brady play book. This is massive as Cam cannot. So my expectation is if Mac is as intelligent as they say he is and he is not overwhelmed by the speed of the game, he will play the position much better than Cam just because his game is suited for our offense.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back