Not open for further replies.

luuked

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
I know its ESPN but I think you should give it a click just to support Reiss:

What made Jason McCourty more nervous than the Super Bowl

A few noteable nuggets:

The Ryan Allen extension was one-year because that's what the player chose:
Why just one year? Some might have looked at the deal as a show of low confidence from the Patriots. But a source close to the situation said Allen had an option for a multiyear deal, yet he preferred the shorter term.

The Pats apparently also went kinda aggressively for Jared Cook who now signed with NO:
Similar to how the Patriots made an aggressive pitch to receiver Adam Humphries in free agency and didn't close the deal, a source close to tight end Jared Cook said the Patriots aggressively courted him before Cook elected to sign with the Saints late last week.

Brady will most probably skip voluntary workouts again:
While always subject to change, early indications are that quarterback Tom Brady plans to follow a similar routine as last year when he remained away from voluntary workouts, in part to focus more on family time.

and some more stuff. I don't want to take too much away from Reiss.

I know its ESPN but I think you should give it a click just to support Reiss:

Yes Reiss is a trusted source.

Add Jared Cook to the list of misses.

What to do about WR?

Huge hole.

Yes Reiss is a trusted source.

Add Jared Cook to the list of misses.

The real question is how much of this is different than in other offseasons. I am sure that you have some cases where you get outbid almost every offseason. And in contrast to Humphries I can see why Cook preferred NO. Warm city, dome and being TE1 in an offense with Brees. Choosing that over Foxboro is a little bit different than Humphries going to Tennessee which remains a head-scratcher maybe even for the player now as well.

The real question is how much of this is different than in other offseasons. I am sure that you have some cases where you get outbid almost every offseason. And in contrast to Humphries I can see why Cook preferred NO. Warm city, dome and being TE1 in an offense with Brees. Choosing that over Foxboro is a little bit different than Humphries going to Tennessee which remains a head-scratcher maybe even for the player now as well.

I've accepted long ago to never know what BB is really thinking so, of course this is just conversation/speculation. We never know what is going really on behind the scenes or if the Patriots are serious contenders in certain situations.

The point is that while people used reported Patriot's offers to Humphries, Cook, Beasley and interest in Tate/Amenedola as proof they were willing to spend in FA, I could just as easily see BB chuckling that he forced Vrabel, Gruden, and division rivals Bills, to bid against themselves by extending offers creative enough to get a no, but get the price up.

I've accepted long ago to never know what BB is really thinking so, of course this is just conversation/speculation. We never know what is going really on behind the scenes or if the Patriots are serious contenders in certain situations.

The point is that while people used reported Patriot's offers to Humphries, Cook, Beasley and interest in Tate/Amenedola as proof they were willing to spend in FA, I could just as easily see BB chuckling that he forced Vrabel, Gruden, and division rivals Bills, to bid against themselves by extending offers creative enough to get a no, but get the price up.
I genuinely believe they wanted Humphries but had different terms than TN which were declined.

I don't buy for a second they made competitive offers to Cook, Beasley, etc.

I believe Reiss in saying they were in on the bidding but not in the same zip code in relation to what they ultimately received

They have at least 12 chances to fix that ...

Also, its taking a big gamble that a 2018 draft pick can learn the playbook, acclimate to the NFL game and earn Bradys trust. No trust and Brady will make you invisible. Thats asking alot from a rookie. Branch was not Branch his first season in 2002.

This is no time for WR projects for development while you still have a 40 year old HOF QB.

Humphries and Beasley had better than a 66 % catch rates. As cliche as it sounds, the Pats want people who catch the ball. Almendola is a member of the 66 % club. Edelman 69%, Gronk 65%

Nope, not liking this one bit. Im not counting on Gordon and his drama either.

I genuinely believe they wanted Humphries but had different terms than TN which were declined.

Yes they did want him, but my suspicion is that an offer came in late, and was reportedly back ended.

Just didn't smell right.

I don't buy for a second they made competitive offers to Cook, Beasley, etc.

I believe Reiss in saying they were in on the bidding but not in the same zip code in relation to what they ultimately received

I agree. I think whatever metrics and tools they use internally it most probably showed Humphries as someone who could potentially produce on the level of Welker in a McDaniels offense. You rarely see them really getting into the bidding game.

#SterlingShepard

What is a bigger use of resources ? A 2nd/3rd round pick now for a year (and most probably a 3-4 comp pick back 2 years later) or paying Humphries 10m APY and losing a 3th round pick from this years calculation (i.e. next year) ?

Can't even tell..

Last edited:
Also, its taking a big gamble that a 2018 draft pick can learn the playbook, acclimate to the NFL game and earn Bradys trust. No trust and Brady will make you invisible. Thats asking alot from a rookie. Branch was not Branch his first season in 2002.

This is no time for WR projects for development while you still have a 40 year old HOF QB.

Humphries and Beasley had better than a 66 % catch rates. As cliche as it sounds, the Pats want people who catch the ball. Almendola is a member of the 66 % club. Edelman 69%, Gronk 65%

Malcom Mitchell did it, there's no reason why another WR couldn't. Gordon learned the playbook quicker than most ever have.

Just because Humphries and Beasley have that percentage of catch, doesn't mean they will learn the playbook.

There are plenty of options in this draft, that can come in and be effective.

It seems that Tennessee had a verbal commitment with Humphries and for some reason he felt beholden to that even after the Pats came in with an equal or better offer.

There’s no reason to stay committed to a verbal offer, whuch I’m pretty sure Humphries now regrets, but what’s done is done.

Last edited:
1 year rental. Draft Deebo Samuel instead. 4 years.

Different levels of risk. Shepard has tape, experience and strength/conditioning on NFL level. Everything about Samuel is a projection. One is supposed to be an instant help the other would start at 0.

Personally I'd do both. Add a player via trade and then get a WR on day 2 if there is someone that fits the parameters. But that is easy to say..

Last edited:

I agree it's a big gamble but we don't beat Atlanta without Mitchell's 5 4th quarter receptions. Brady went to Mitchell when the offense was stalling and some of the biggest 3rd downs in the comeback. I don't think they have tried too hard considering they rarely draft a wr in the first two rounds of the draft. Either way, I know BB will have this team ready to go in January and hopefully February.

I'm a huge Gordon fan and want to argue your point, but I can't considering his history. I want to believe he will stay clean, but it's such a hard thing to do. I
am rooting for him. I think it is better to have low expectations and he really is a low risk insurance policy that has the potential to be one of the best bargains in the NFL.

"I asked my kids what they wanted and they all said 'The Patriots with Uncle Dev.' So everybody's happy."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down