PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nuggets of note from Reiss' weekly column

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OP missed the biggest lede in the Cook story: a big reason Cook chose New Orleans over New England was because of the uncertainty around Gronk.

I left things out for all of those little tidbits from Reiss' article because he deserves the clicks and it is his original content. I picked out single points that intrigued me.

I simply didn't think that angle of the Cook story was relevant at all. Nobody knows yet what Gronk will do. This is not news. The team trying to be prepared in case he retires ? Also not particularly news worthy.

Them being deeper in on Cook then we heard from the "insiders" / it going beyond the usual "mutual interest" kinda ******** ? Interesting. But, hey, that's my pov and if you went there and found something else interesting then great.

You think Belichick has any leverage at all over whether or not to "play that game" with Gronk?

His only option would be to cut the guy. That's not really leverage.

I do hope you're right on Gronk coming back, however.

Since Gronk isn't going to play for another franchise BB could have cut him and forced to retire and with the additional cap room signed Cook if he wanted a decision and Gronk didn't give it to him.

Malcom Mitchell did it, there's no reason why another WR couldn't. Gordon learned the playbook quicker than most ever have.

Just because Humphries and Beasley have that percentage of catch, doesn't mean they will learn the playbook.

There are plenty of options in this draft, that can come in and be effective.
Mitchell struggled for 8 games. At times he was shut out. 3 games accounted for approximately 50% of his total seasons production of 400 yards and 4 TDs.

NE already has a guy that in Dorsett and I am talking about improving the WR position from 2018 and not treading water.

2018 was so thin at WR that the Pat's tried to trade with GB had to take a chance on problem child Gordon. Brady didn't have many options to throw to. Gordon produced from his ability as a player who could be mentioned in the same company as Randy Moss if he wasn't a head case. Even just before Gordon checked himself in to rehab Boston media were writing about his still learning the offense.

If the Pat's WR plan all along is to go the way of the draft then why the interest in Humphries and Beasley and other WR targets available in FA?

I'm talking about a WR who can step in pay dividens day 1 and the Pat's have yet to do that in 19 drafts.

Mitchell struggled for 8 games. At times he was shut out. 3 games accounted for approximately 50% of his total seasons production of 400 yards and 4 TDs.

NE already has a guy that in Dorsett and I am talking about improving the WR position from 2018 and not treading water.

2018 was so thin at WR that the Pat's tried to trade with GB had to take a chance on problem child Gordon. Brady didn't have many options to throw to. Gordon produced from his ability as a player who could be mentioned in the same company as Randy Moss if he wasn't a head case. Even just before Gordon checked himself in to rehab Boston media were writing about his still learning the offense.

If the Pat's WR plan all along is to go the way of the draft then why the interest in Humphries and Beasley and other WR targets available in FA?

I'm talking about a WR who can step in pay dividens day 1 and the Pat's have yet to do that in 19 drafts.

Surely that means as the season went on he got use to the system, the other thing is i would ignore the first four games as there was no Brady. The other thing to note is how many snaps he played in those games as well.

Yes the 2018 team struggled at WR but it wasn't for a lack of trying, some players just cannot pick up our system - Chad Ochocinco, Reggie Wayne and a majoitry of last years training camp couldn't pick it up.

Whose to say Humphries or Beasley would pick it up? Especially as they will be in the slot a lot of the time, which takes understanding of leverage and trust with Brady.

Gordon performed because he learnt the offense that was needed for him, he was rarely asked to do option routes - He done his job.

There has never been a WR in any draft year that i would think they will slot in on day 1 for this team. Unless your HOF talent..

The best the patriots can do is find guys that they think are smart and have good hands and can run routes that are effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back