PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Now Clearer AFC Playoff Picture: Pats Should Secure a Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would hate to play in Baltimore. May not come to that though. I think Balt and NE both win out. 13-3. They got top seed and we are 2nd. I think Houston and Oakland finish 10-6. Oakland would get the 3 seed since they beat Houston. Oakland beats Cincy the 6th seed and visits Foxboro in Divisional Round. Pitt beats Houston and visits Baltimore. Tough to beat Steelers 3x. They could upset Baltimore and visit us for AFCCG.

agreed - that's the scenario I've envisioned as well.

I don't want t a bye. Recent history suggests that we don't do very well after byes:

2009 - win dolphins lose ravens. Season record 10-6 (beat ravens during season)
2010 - win ravens lose jets. Season record 14-2 (split with jets during season)
2011 - lose steelers. Season record 8-3

Cumulative record after byes: 2-3
Cumulative season record : 32-11 (3:1)

This is an example of someone using stats instead of common sense.

Logic says a bye is better. Not only is it one less game to win, it is one less game where players can get hurt. The players get extra time to rest and have less traveling. I am sure if you asked the players and/or coaching staff they would rather have the bye week.

Also, in 2009 the Pats didn't have a bye and got killed in the first round.

Re: The Pats should secure a bye

Given the way we played after the bye this year I hope it's a good thing.

I'm a little late to party on this one, but my thoughts exactly. I dont like the way the Pats lose momentum after a bye.

Regarding the whole 'momentum' argument, how many times have the Patriots won a SB when having to play on wild card weekend?

Each time the Patriots have won a SB they had the bye, which amazingly didn't hurt them and their 'momentum'.

Logic says a bye is better. Not only is it one less game to win, it is one less game where players can get hurt. The players get extra time to rest and have less traveling. I am sure if you asked the players and/or coaching staff they would rather have the bye week.

On top of that, even the 2 seed guarantees home games against all but one potential opponent, so a bye comes with only one road trip, at most, prior to the SB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back