PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Not a good look for Matthew Stafford

Again, didn't say he had to help. Just a simple glaze over the stage to see if the woman was a ok would have been better than turning and walking away. By his facial reaction, you can see he knows something happened and he knows it wasn't good, and his reaction is to turn his back.
Just not a good luck.

Yeah I'm not excusing him, but I'm not crucifying him either- he is basically being what he has been his whole career- a ****bag.

He probably wasn't lucid enough to comprehend what just really happened.

Nahhh....it's fine, I get why people would think I'm a psycho. But I think death interests everyone.

It's typically more horrific things than this. Car accidents (pedestrians), drownings, industrial machinery, gang violence, etc. I found some good Reddit subs; the stuff I try to avoid is the excessive gore/violence because it makes my stomach turn (yeah I know, a very refined death video aficionado.)

But the kneejerk reaction from Stafford is pretty consistent from what you see from bystanders on there whenever something happens involving someone nearby being harmed. In that one second of processing what's happening, it's totally normal for someone to look away like that, back away, turn around, etc. That doesn't mean they're not going to come back to help or that they're not concerned. It's just a normal reaction. This isn't like the movies where someone slips and hangs off a ledge and another arm comes sweeping down to pull them. Rather, you have people just going through the normal routine of their lives, totally immersed in their own reality, and oblivious to the fact that in seconds, some totally unexpected thing is going to happen. It simply takes a little time for most people's brains to process what's happened and switch to a state of concern.
The classic "I'm not involved" occurrence is the 1964 murder of Kitty Genovese in New York.

He definitely saw her fall. He immediately turned into Sargent Schultz. I hope his conscience is bothering him. I'm not saying he had any skills to help her at that point but he could had called for help or at least showed some effort to. Instead he looked the other way. I guess some people are just wired differently.

Which as it turns out was an almost entirely fabricated story

Not exactly true. Elements of the story were wrong, for instance the 38 witnesses. However, there were two separate attacks on Ms. Genovese. Winston Moseley, the murderer, who, by the way was a serial killer, left her on the street, still alive, when one of the apartment dwellers turned on his apartment lights, opened his window, and shouted "leave her alone." But Moseley later said that he figured that no one would come down to help her and he was right. No one did and Moseley came back minutes later to finish the murder.

For whatever reason, I've been fascinated with death/accident videos for awhile. Stafford's reaction actually isn't outside the norm at all; in fact, his wife should just be praised for her quick reaction to immediately change her mindset. She's the outlier, not him.

When serious accidents happen, most people react in a similar way as Stafford. It's some weird thing your brain does where it goes into a shock-like mode and you tend to normalize it or turn it into some half-joke. Now, if Stafford has been there alone and seen this woman fall, I highly doubt he'd walk away; the situations are different. In crowds of people, you tend to get a lot of onlookers react in a similar manner. And it takes some time for someone's brain to immediately switch from "fun/lighthearted" mode to "************...we need to help" mode. My guess is Stafford's wife was already in somewhat of a vigilant/protective state to begin with, since he was drinking.
Stare Staring GIF

He definitely saw her fall. He immediately turned into Sargent Schultz. I hope his conscience is bothering him. I'm not saying he had any skills to help her at that point but he could had called for help or at least showed some effort to. Instead he looked the other way. I guess some people are just wired differently.
He supposedly told his wife to help her, if he did nothing wrong with that. Not sticking up for him, I would have helped the reporter.

Imagine being flustered by this

Maybe she works for CNN?
So, what happens if you move someone that has been in an accident and they are paralyzed by your actions?

Im not referring to a car on fire. There are obviously circumstances where there would be no choice.

You really need to take another break from posting, clodhopper. The outhouse probably could use a new coat of paint and the icebox needs a fresh block of ice -- like you, it's starting to smell.

Last edited:
the kneejerk reaction from Stafford is pretty consistent from what you see from bystanders on there whenever something happens involving someone nearby being harmed. In that one second of processing what's happening, it's totally normal for someone to look away like that, back away, turn around, etc. That doesn't mean they're not going to come back to help or that they're not concerned. It's just a normal reaction. This isn't like the movies where someone slips and hangs off a ledge and another arm comes sweeping down to pull them. Rather, you have people just going through the normal routine of their lives, totally immersed in their own reality, and oblivious to the fact that in seconds, some totally unexpected thing is going to happen. It simply takes a little time for most people's brains to process what's happened and switch to a state of concern.

I know what you're saying but I beg to differ with this in Stafford's case. He was more than a random bystander -- the photographer was just a few feet away and he was aware of being her object of attention. His reaction was indefensible, perhaps even borderline sociopathic. It suggested a self-absorbed, pampered/sheltered multimillionaire pro athlete too long removed from the real world of cause-effect and consequence. I wish such behavior somehow could be penalized but hopefully karma is keeping score.

Last edited:
After seeing this thread I wondered how other NYFL QBs would react.
Aaron Rodgers would probably react the same way as Stafford.
Ditto for the Manning brothers, especially when we look at their history.
Matt Ryan would have helped the girl.
Brady would too.
I don't think Mahomes would run away.
Neither would Russell Wilson.
Deshaun Watson probably would have jumped on her in a second. ;)
BrINT Favre would have shown her some pics to revive her.
Okay, I'm getting off track.
I don't think Ryan Tannehill would have run away.
Ironically, neither would any of the running QBs.
The newer QBs probably wouldn't either.
It's definitely a bad look for Stafford, but it's a great reminder of how much attention a celebrity gets.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back