PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Non-playing QBs should have the option to leave

K. Dog

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I'm concerned by the Rodgers/Garoppolo situation in which excellent quarterbacks weren't allowed to play, even though other teams would have been delighted to have them and even though the player would have been delighted to leave.

It's obviously bad for the quality of the sport for top QBs to have to sit for years.

And it's obviously bad for the players themselves - reality is that had Brady had to sit another few years behind Bledsoe, his career would not have been as great as it was. It's ridiculous to predicate all the great performances we've seen on an injury fluke.

The only people it's good for is the particular team that is holding onto this non-playing QB.

Now, that makes sense in a true free market. But the NFL is pretty far from that, particularly for draft picks.

I don't know how it could be done exactly. But I wonder whether there should be some rule that if a non-injured draft pick is sat out for two years (modulo a few games), he should have the option of becoming a free agent in his third year.

Last edited:
No QBs should not be treated differently than other players. You have the same rules for all positions.

Also it is silly to suggest that JG or Rodgers didnt benefit from actually sitting a few years and developing without the instant pressure of starting. There is a better chance both would be failures and out of the league right now than anything else if you just threw them in before they were ready.

Look at old preseason games from JG and the jumps from year to year are huge. You can see how the game has slowed down for him.

In reality what the league needs is more stability in coaching and patience with their young QBs. Give them time to develop around the same staff instead of cleaning house every 2-3 years.

The other aspect to keep in mind is that the college game has become so simplified that first round QBs dont know how to run a huddle, cant memorize pro level play calls, cant read anything presnap or have any clue about protections. The top prospects are coming into the league significantly less prepared than QBs in the early 2000s did.

The scarcity of good QBs wont be solved by making them free agent sooner. It is a difficult position to master and giving players less time to learn will actually make it only harder.

Last edited:
i mostly disagree with this idea

and talk about difficult to implement

plus.....things have worked out pretty well with great QBs that start out as backups

What? No.

BB is on record in saying Brady outplayed Bledsoe in training camp but just went with Bledsoe because of experience. You really think Brady was going to sit behind Bledsoe for a few years?

I don't agree with what you want either.

In reality what the league needs is more stability in coaching and patience with their young QBs. Give them time to develop around the same staff instead of cleaning house every 2-3 years.

This times 1000. Coaches need time to develop, too.

Also, it would be nice of owners took their egos and GTFO of player-personnel decisions, especially wrt 1st-round draft picks.

Totally disagree. Think about your premise. You want better quality QB's in the league and are asking for the backup QB's to be allowed to leave. The reason backup QB's may be quality players is because they have sat back and developed.

If you wanted to mandate a red shirt season for all rookie QB'S I would probably be in favor of it.

So what is the suggestion?

That if a player does not get X number of snaps (playing time) then he becomes a free agent?

The entire history of owner/labor relations and contract law will be annhilated so that we can immediately watch a guy throw an oblong ball.

they can leave.

Right after their contract ends, Or if another team gives up draft picks to trade for them.

Threads like this are reserved for offseason or bye week only. You’re a few days early. Come back on Monday.

Threads like this are reserved for offseason or bye week only. You’re a few days early. Come back on Monday.

Damn it. I've been trying to throw up a subjective hawt take thread all week. And now you've kaboshed it. Thanks pal.

Your loss. It was going to have a poll too.

they can leave.

Right after their contract ends, Or if another team gives up draft picks to trade for them.

But that's insanely not fair.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back