PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No Point in Tanking, the Future is Bleak

The sad part is that the Pats don't need to tank. They're bad enough to LOSE a lot of games all on their own.

However let's say it gets to the last 2 weeks of the season and you're sitting at like 2-13. At that point you know the season is LOST. I would not be opposed to sitting everyone decent and catching the last 2 Ls to ensure the #1 overall pick.

Am I actively looking to TANK? No. But once the fat lady is warming up, there's a point where it makes sense to set up for the future of the franchise rather than try to snatch a couple of 'moral victory' wins against teams who are resting their starters because they've already cinched up their seeding for the playoffs.

Landing the #1 overall pick and having your pick of the best QB available from the college ranks becomes more important under those circumstances.
It sure as he!! Better not take 2-13 to know the season is lost. The iceberg is directly in front of the boat. Will take a fracking miracle to miss it.

Last edited:
Big Sey was a truly dominant player and trading him was a mistake.
Not really. Got Soldier. Got Vareen indirectly from it. Then they traded pics with Cincinnati and got Chandler Jones.

Hightower also was picked from moving up in a futute draft because they had 2 first rounders and could be more aggressive.

Seymour got $40 mil from Oakland and they had a losing record.

Soldier was a fine LT for 7 years and we got to 4 Superbowls wining 2

Last edited:
As a former HS TE, I always keep an eye on the upcoming talent.

If you are not familiar with Brock Bowers #19 on Georgia. He could be a top 5 player.

He is light for a TE 6’4’ 240 lbs & runs a 4.5 - 40 yd dash.

He runs the Deebo Samuel sweep & he makes you forget Deebo who is 215 lbs.

If this link gets blocked, check out the tape on this kid. Plays like Gronk at 240, but this
Kid is probably all around more athletic

If this link gets blocked, check out the tape on this kid. Plays like Gronk at 240, but this
Kid is probably all around more athletic
I can see a world where Bowers is the pick, but that requires getting more help on the OL and WR in FA.

I can see a world where Bowers is the pick, but that requires getting more help on the OL and WR in FA.
We have a ton of cash for FA, but the pickings were slim last I looked.

We definitely need OL help too

If we don’t draft a QB in the top 10 everyone should be fired for even thinking in going in another direction.

If we don’t draft a QB in the top 10 everyone should be fired for even thinking in going in another direction.
I can see a scenario where they sign a veteran placeholder in the offseason and draft a QB in the second or third round, especially if they turn things around.

They need top 3 pick.

I hope we get the number one overall pick.
But knowing BB, if he is still the GM, he will trade out of the first and go value town like he always does…

They need top 3 pick.

But knowing BB, if he is still the GM, he will trade out of the first and go value town like he always does…
As a general rule, Belichick trades down, if offered, when one of two things is true:

1. There is no player he sees as worth that pick.
2. He sees enough players of essentially the same value and he expects to be able to draft one at the lower position.

But he doesn't take every offer that comes his way, and even withdrew a trade offer he had reportedly accepted after a player he expected to be gone fell to him.

Caleb Williams will enter the NFL with one of the strongest arms in the NFL. The throws he can make off platform & out of structure are absurd. Not sure when a 6'1" 215 lb. QB became small either.

Maybe, he’s great, I have no idea. But when a qb is listed at 6’1” in college, they’re usually 6’0” or 5’11”. He may still be great though, I don’t know. I do hope we get a top pick and new qb.

I like what I see from Drake Maye. His build is very prototypical for a modern day QB.

Hoping we pick 2nd-4th overall range. Let Caleb go #1, get Maye in that next spot.

I just turned on the USC - Notre Dame game because ESPN had an article hyping up this little 6’0” guy as the greatest QB prospect ever.

Dude has 3 picks and USC is down 24-6.

Is he even the most overhyped USC QB in the last 15 years? Sam Darnold was the greatest QB prospect ever. Just ask the draft experts (well, I think they delete those embarrassing hype job articles years later.). Matt Leinart? Mark Sanchez? Matt Barkley? JT Daniels? At some point I heard every one of them was so special and it isn’t just hype, they’re heading straight to Canton.

Last edited:
They need top 3 pick.

This is the real problem. The no brainer QB of this draft will go 1. But it's most likely the bottom 3 teams are QB needy and go QB.

Denver is 1-5. They will draft a QB if they are in the top 3 and start making plans to move on from Russ after 2 absymal years.

Giants are 1-4. They will likely draft a QB regardless of the contract they gave Jones. They'll probably trade capital for someone else to eat it after a year.

Bears are 1-4. Fields is a failure and his team will move on if they can get a quality QB.

Vikings are 1-4. Cousins is 35. There is already talk of them moving on from him and rebuilding.

Panthers are 0-5 but we might be lucky because they might not give up on Bryce just yet.

Cardinals are 1-4. They will move on from Murray after an abysmal year if it stays this wat.

So there's realistically 5 teams besides us that are all jockeying for high draft picks that would likely get a QB if they could. This is a ****ty ass year to need a QB. Especially if you have to play the Jets, Raiders, and Broncos who could give you meaningless wins. 4 wins could very easily move us right out of any chance of getting a decent first round worthy QB.

Dunno about Caleb Williams...but I do know one thing:

OL play in the NFL is no longer a "sure thing"....QB's coming into the league are gonna have to improvise and make off platform throws....

So...dual threat atheltic QB's may be the future... yeah...I know...Cunningham, Vick, etc.... but at some point it would be nice to have a QB who can free lance and make plays when **** breaks down....

Dunno about Caleb Williams...but I do know one thing:

OL play in the NFL is no longer a "sure thing"....QB's coming into the league are gonna have to improvise and make off platform throws....

So...dual threat atheltic QB's may be the future... yeah...I know...Cunningham, Vick, etc.... but at some point it would be nice to have a QB who can free lance and make plays when **** breaks down....

There’s a lot to say about Mahomes but IMO his secret sauce is knowing when to run. Earlier in his career he tried to scramble too much and held the ball when it wasn’t necessary. He’s gotten better by using his agility only when necessary and running for first downs in critical situations, usually on 3rd down in the 4th quarter. He takes a low amount of sacks but still uses his legs quite a bit, just not in the way other guys overuse their elusiveness.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back