PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No Point in Tanking, the Future is Bleak

Bayless asserted Williams is the "polar opposite of Tom Brady" for a myriad of reasons.

"Almost all of his splash plays come on improv, where he's breaking the pocket," Bayless said of Williams. "He's not as tall as he looks on television. He's six feet tall! They list him as 6-foot-1 in the media guide at USC. But he's really six feet tall, you look down at him.

"His legs are stout. He's got tree-trunk thighs. He's got a base to him. But he has what Emmitt Smith had, which is what I call quickness in a confined space. He's got this ‘make you miss' in him. He can get loose because he's got a power base to him. If you get just one hand on him, you're not going to be able to throw him down."

Another overhyped midget who will fail in the NFL. Every year.
I agree. These NFL scouts are terrible. I remember when I was a kid hearing TV telling me Steve Young is ‘revolutionizing’ the game. It’s the same **** all the time. Just yesterday there was a what’s-his-face on ESPN saying it again. “The game has changed. You need a guy who can run who can blah blah blah.”

Media people LOVE this kind of quarterback for some reason. I’ll never get it. Brady’s attack-the-defense terminator-style with passes will always be the obviously most awesome to watch.

Anyway, give it five years and another Brady or Peyton type pocket passer will come along and start winning and ESPN will start to cry for 15 years or just periodically say a new running quarterback is “changing the game.”

Anyway, give it five years and another Brady or Peyton type pocket passer will come along and start winning and ESPN will start to cry for 15 years or just periodically say a new running quarterback is “changing the game.”
I heard Lawrence was supposed to be this....how's that working out? =|

Give me Maye or McCarthy as of right now. Still a lot to learn about these guys though. The draft is the draft man. Always a **** ton of surprises thar swing both ways.

I agree. These NFL scouts are terrible. I remember when I was a kid hearing TV telling me Steve Young is ‘revolutionizing’ the game. It’s the same **** all the time. Just yesterday there was a what’s-his-face on ESPN saying it again. “The game has changed. You need a guy who can run who can blah blah blah.”

Media people LOVE this kind of quarterback for some reason. I’ll never get it. Brady’s attack-the-defense terminator-style with passes will always be the obviously most awesome to watch.

Every year. Every year. A 6’0” or shorter QB hAs aLL tHe TooLs! Then they bust, but they’re ImProViNg and it’s everyone else’s fault, and then it’s onto hyping the next one.

The bigger, taller mobile quarterbacks are one thing, but it’s always been like that. If you can’t see over the line made up of giant linemen and your arms are too short to throw over their fingertips, you have a bit of a ****ing problem now don’t you?

I laughed so hard when I saw Bryce Young the other day. You mortgaged your franchise for a midget who plays in the pocket? Lmfaooooo

I heard Lawrence was supposed to be this....how's that working out? =|

He’s been a little disappointing overall but everyone can see he has the body and arm of an elite NFL quarterback. Will he continue to get better? Time will tell. If you could draft any QB currently playing, and get the rest of their career, he’d still be in my top 5.

Next week is going to be ugly. No point in tanking for a 6ft QB, there’s no viable path to respectability for the next few years. But we had a hell of a run…
The sad part is that the Pats don't need to tank. They're bad enough to LOSE a lot of games all on their own.

However let's say it gets to the last 2 weeks of the season and you're sitting at like 2-13. At that point you know the season is LOST. I would not be opposed to sitting everyone decent and catching the last 2 Ls to ensure the #1 overall pick.

Am I actively looking to TANK? No. But once the fat lady is warming up, there's a point where it makes sense to set up for the future of the franchise rather than try to snatch a couple of 'moral victory' wins against teams who are resting their starters because they've already cinched up their seeding for the playoffs.

Landing the #1 overall pick and having your pick of the best QB available from the college ranks becomes more important under those circumstances.

People want the Mahomes type of player now
It's more flashy. To your point the terminator-style is still king look at Purdy with SF

In order to tank you have to play at a level below your current level so you can lose - The Patriots of 2023 can't tank on purpose because that is the basement they are already playing at - The only way they can tank in an obvious manner would be to remain in the locker room on gameday

Williams relies on his legs a lot and while he runs circles around the future lawyers and accountants he faces in college, he doesn’t have the raw speed necessary to do the same in the NFL.

However I do think he is a good passer. He will likely be the top draft pick next year.

The sad part is that the Pats don't need to tank. They're bad enough to LOSE a lot of games all on their own.

However let's say it gets to the last 2 weeks of the season and you're sitting at like 2-13. At that point you know the season is LOST. I would not be opposed to sitting everyone decent and catching the last 2 Ls to ensure the #1 overall pick.

Am I actively looking to TANK? No. But once the fat lady is warming up, there's a point where it makes sense to set up for the future of the franchise rather than try to snatch a couple of 'moral victory' wins against teams who are resting their starters because they've already cinched up their seeding for the playoffs.

Landing the #1 overall pick and having your pick of the best QB available from the college ranks becomes more important under those circumstances.
This is why the team needs to drop Belichick before the draft arrives because you,I and everyone knows Bill will do his dumbass bad GM move thinking he still has Brady and trade the top pick for 15 picks in the last 3 rounds to grab the cheap scrubs that will catch the noodle arm passes from our current quarterbacks

You can win with a running QB....

BUT.

You better have the rest of the team Super Bowl ready.

If they are NOT elite passers from the pocket, or even very good, then their window is only open as long as their legs hold out. And remember, running backs don't play every down like a QB. Their window is even shorter than an elite RB's. You maybe have 5 years to get it done. 8 on the outside.

Even Steve Young, who had incredible passing skills, was beset by injuries that limited his effectiveness. He only went 16 of 16 in games played three times in his NFL career (1992-1995). And although he played until he was 38, he didn't consistently start for the 49ers until he was 31.

Now bear in mind, I am not saying running QBs CAN'T be winners. It's just that they need a specific set of circumstances to succeed.

Even Steve Young, who had incredible passing skills, was beset by injuries that limited his effectiveness. He only went 16 of 16 in games played three times in his NFL career (1992-1995). And although he played until he was 38, he didn't consistently start for the 49ers until he was 31.

Now bear in mind, I am not saying running QBs CAN'T be winners. It's just that they need a specific set of circumstances to succeed.

You mention Steve Young in your example but we live in a different era now. The QB is much more protected by the current NFL rules. And yes although guys who primarily run are at higher risk of injury, with modern medicine and all that, QB careers are just getting longer and longer.

Eventually those running QBs will also learn to pick their moments and make more plays from the pocket or slightly after escaping the pocket.

So I firmly believe that a running QB can have longevity in today's NFL. Maybe not quite as long as a pure pocket passer, but I don't feel like the difference is enough to merit passing on a GREAT QB talent versus just a good or decent QB talent.

So I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. The times have changed. Talent remains the most important factor in choosing a franchise QB of the future.

Young's just the most common example people use to refute the idea that running QBs have a shorter shelf life.

I can provide others.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back