PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No matter what, this was a successful season.

You said: "It seems the Patriots have fallen back to reality."

Not that I'm waxing philosophical, but what is this "reality?"
I just think they looked like world beaters during their stretch but got humbled by the skid.

Thats it.

We're at 10 wins. Which is a great improvement over last year. Now let's go beat the Dolphins and secure the playoffs for sure, and who knows if the Bills stumble next week, the AFCE title might still come back to Foxboro!

This season has been amazing to this point!

we are in the playoffs with a rookie qb. That has been done something like 5 times in the last two decades.

In the jacksonville game, we finally opened up the playbook for jones a bit.

jones has exceeded all my expectations for him this year.

without jones, we would have been as bad as the jets this year.

After the 202 regular season is over, the Patriots will be playing the following weekend. It's obviously ideal when the team can dominate the regular season but when filtered down to the bare essence, the runaway critical element is playing a meaningful game after the regular season is over. The Brady years made that seem routine but it actually never was.

On a side note: IMHO the AFC is wide open for the team that gets hot and gets a few bounces. The Bills, Chiefs, Titans, Indy, Cincy - all teams capable of winning but none have achieved that 'oh damn, how can the patriots beat them'. OTOH the NFC has a few teams that are much closer to that 'hard to see beating them' status.

Yep, now its officially a success. I think the only thing that could really disappoint me is getting blown out in round 1 or Mac having like a 4 INT game or something like that. Truly happy and EXCITED for the postseason

This season has been amazing to this point!

we are in the playoffs with a rookie qb. That has been done something like 5 times in the last two decades.

In the jacksonville game, we finally opened up the playbook for jones a bit.

jones has exceeded all my expectations for him this year.

without jones, we would have been as bad as the jets this year.
No talk of drafting a QB next year (or one to replace Stidham). The QB position is stabilized. Sure the #1 seed would have been great, but coming into the playoffs with a bit less pressure is probably better for team. No one in the field in unbeatable. Pressure is on KC, fail this year and that one SB win looks long ago. If Tennessee had Henry, pressure would be on them. Bills have pressure too, if they are going to win, need to start soon.

No talk of drafting a QB next year (or one to replace Stidham). The QB position is stabilized. Sure the #1 seed would have been great, but coming into the playoffs with a bit less pressure is probably better for team. No one in the field in unbeatable. Pressure is on KC, fail this year and that one SB win looks long ago. If Tennessee had Henry, pressure would be on them. Bills have pressure too, if they are going to win, need to start soon.
Reports are Henry is almost ready to play again.

And remember what Vrabel said he'd do if he won a SB as a coach. . . . :eek:

2021 draft was excellent.
Onward and upward.

Jekyll and Hyde type of season in 2021. Beat up on bad teams handily and lose to good teams, is the general theme.

After the 202 regular season is over, the Patriots will be playing the following weekend. It's obviously ideal when the team can dominate the regular season but when filtered down to the bare essence, the runaway critical element is playing a meaningful game after the regular season is over. The Brady years made that seem routine but it actually never was.

On a side note: IMHO the AFC is wide open for the team that gets hot and gets a few bounces. The Bills, Chiefs, Titans, Indy, Cincy - all teams capable of winning but none have achieved that 'oh damn, how can the patriots beat them'. OTOH the NFC has a few teams that are much closer to that 'hard to see beating them' status.

My biggest concern is playing a team with an elite running game. Pats run defense won't hold up.

I don't expect them to go far. But all in all the 2021 draft was a home run and being back in the playoffs is already the right trajectory for the franchise.

I think it is good that we do not get the number 1 seed. This team needs to keep playing each week.

they came out of the buy week and pooped the bed with a very winnable game at Indy, And then followed that up with a defensive turd against Buffalo.

we need to keep playing to keep the team sharp.

Yes. 10000%. I still don't think this team is laden with great talent. I think it is great coaching and people working hard; often at their best.

Yes. 10000%. I still don't think this team is laden with great talent. I think it is great coaching and people working hard; often at their best.
Still a lot of holes to fill. Scheme has been great for the most part. Kudos to the players for executing.

Tell me in September that we were going to be a 10+ team going into the playoffs, Mac was going to look like a veteran for most of the year, and nearly all of our RBs would be healthy, I'd order 1 of whatever you were having. We're in a really good position right now with the Harris-Stevenson 1-2 punch and an above average passing attack. As long as our D keeps us in the game I like our chances to get some postseason wins. And hey, why rule anything out?

The fact of the matter is we have exactly what a lot of us were afraid we wouldn't have at this point in the year -- Hope!

BTW at this point Mac is playing with house money. Next year he'll have expectations but this postseason is just basically take whatever you can get and smile. At least until he starts winning postseason games.

Even before yesterday's game I would agree this season was already a success. Maybe we got some opportune breaks playing some teams on the schedule but a win is a win and there looks to be a lot to look forward to. The 2020 draft class yielded a couple of very promising players in Dugger and Onwenu and if Mac continues to progress I would say the 2021 class is a home run with him Barmore, and Stevenson already looking very good. Re-signing Phillips was big as well so it looks like we are starting to get some young guys to build around for the future. Next year the defense will definitely look different and I think a lot of it hinges on what happens in the secondary with JC Jackson.

Thoughts on improvements in offense for 2022....

The Patriots could find a way to move Agholor in the offseason. While Bourne has arguably been the best wide receiver on New England this year, the Patriots could easily cut ties with him if they chose to. There’s a potential out in his contract that would only cost New England $2.8 million in dead cap money by cutting him.

New England will have options this offseason. There are big-name wide receivers in the free agency market, including the Tampa Bay Buccaneers‘ Chris Godwin and the Green Bay Packers’ Davante Adams. The Patriots could either draft a franchise No. 1 receiver with a selection such as Jameson Williams or go the free agency route for an established star.

Our offense is missing a legitimate “x”. An outside receiver that has nfl plus speed, run great routes, can track the ball, can create separation, can run option routes and has good hands.

agular should be the “z”. Bourne and Myers can continue to split the slot.

Drafting wr olave from Ohio state could be the missing piece in our offense.

In addition, Henry and smith weee brought in to be the 2 in 12 personnel. Henry works well, but smith is a fire hydrant.

drafting te McBride from Colorado state could be the move tight end that our offense is missing.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back