SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Dolphins
Sun
Sep 13th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Nick Wright on Jimmy G Trade

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by NG Pats Fan, Jan 22, 2020.

1. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,876
    I totally believe that Nick Wright is in the inner circle of the Browns and 49ers staff. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. 40yrpatsfan

40yrpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +645
    JG was traded during the 2017 season during his 4th season with the Patriots. I think in 2017 that BB was hoping/expecting that Brady would cut the bs about playing till 45, and commit to retiring after the 2017 season at age 40 (or that there would be a sharp decline in his play during 2017, or an injury). Or at least commit to retiring after the 2018 season at age 41, JG's 5th season.

If any of that had happened, we'd still have Jimmy G. But Brady just kept going, he was the defending SB champ in 2017 after his great comeback vs Atlanta to end the 2016 season, and proved it again in the 2017 SB with the 505 yard SB vs Philly, and again in 2018 with the great finish to knock off KC and then beat the Rams. He's still not near done, ability-wise, he's pretty much the same player as in 2016.

BB strung it out as long as he could before pulling the trigger. When he did, he got JG out of the AFC, got what he assumed would be a top 35 pick for a guy that was nearing free-agency, and got Hoyer as his worry-free backup in mid-season. He also knew it was a good franchise for JG, and he liked dealing with John Lynch. That checked all the boxes

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Ring 6

Ring 6 PatsFans.com Wall of Fame Member

Ratings:
    +7,903
    No he didn’t.

4. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33,662
    I’m going to call BS on this one when referring to “anyone” because there was a fairly decent number of posters who certain that all the signs were there, most importantly the Patriots unwillingness to deal him in the 2017 offseason.

5. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11,567
    agree, also I totally believe that anybody here has enough sources to say "clearly" x, y, and z happened with that trade.

The mind hates not knowing something. This is a weird thing, and we don't know the explanation. Unfortunately, that's all we know.

Fun to read the theories though.

6. Doctor DDS

Doctor DDS Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,769
    I think the jury is still out on Jimmy G. So far he has proven to be a good QB with questionable durability. Will he end up being a top 5, top 10 or top 15 QB when he ultimately hits his peak? He's clearly a good QB but it's still uncertain if he will be great.

I personally am rooting for Jimmy G and hope he wins next week and turns into a top 5 QB. Am not sure if he'll end up being one of best QB's but he is clearly good enough to be an important cog on a championship team. I was fine with trading him at the time and assume the Pats will be able to find/develop a solid enough QB in the near future to make this issue moot.

7. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ratings:
    +33,662
    The jury just came back:

With the 49ers, Shanahan is 20-5 with Jimmy, and 4-20 without him.

He’s an outstanding QB. I’m looking forward to playing better than Mahomes down the stretch in the SB.

8. Doctor DDS

Doctor DDS Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,769
    And what is the jury verdict? Top 10? Top 5? One of best in league? Clearly worth $27 Million a year? Pats should have kept him over Brady?

9. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ratings:
    +33,662
    Top-5 QB playing in a run heavy offense due to spoils or riches in the backfield personnel. Could change to heavy passing offense and be fine, like he was in 2017.

Should they have kept him over Brady? That depended on which fairy tale you wanted...the eternal Brady one or the passing torch to Jimmy one....Kraft preferred eternal Brady. I think most fans did too in 2017.