SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Dolphins
Sun
Sep 13th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Nick Wright on Jimmy G Trade

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by NG Pats Fan, Jan 22, 2020.

1. 40yrpatsfan

40yrpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +639
    2 other things:
    - a trade to SF got JG out of the AFC

- SF at the time of the trade was in line for the 2nd or 3rd pick each round, so about #35 overall. One miscalculation by BB was not factoring in that JG would arrive there and win about 6 games in a row, pushing the pick into the 40's. He should've negotiated a little extra protection against that happening, which he could've gotten cause nobody even in SF foresaw that happening.

Jimmy was an awesome prospect and I hated to see him go that cheap. But given the rock and hard place the Pats were in, they did what they had to do, and got Hoyer's services on the cheap for a couple of seasons which wouldn't have been possible with any other trade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,965
    I have no idea what was, or could have been, offered. However I am 100% certain (without actually knowing, I know that means not 100%) that Bill took at best 50% value. There is no way that someone wouldn't have offered two #2s. I'm guessing we could have had a lot more than two #2s but a single #2 is pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
  3. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +36,457
    Be careful now, most birds are pretty damned smart. Call him cat brained. Cats outsmarted in psychologist's test

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10,302
    Oh the re-writers of history. Let's review what was really going on:

BB wanted to keep Jimmy G. and hoped he would sign another contract with the Patriots, and thus did not seriously shop him around until he had no choice. By then the 49ers were the only trade partner. (Remember they supposedly wanted Brady instead and BB laughed? Is that part true? Who knows?)
    Brady has done something no other QB has been able to do (and what BB was hedging against with Jimmy G) and that is play at an elite level into his 40s.
    Jimmy G. had looked good in 1 1/2 starts but then he got hurt and nobody knew: a) if that short window showed his true ability to play; or b) whether he was going to be injury-prone.
    There's no way BB turned down the 12th pick in the draft for Jimmy G. Nobody offered this (see above). BB has traded with Cleveland before (and after) - why wouldn't he do it again? Just stupid.

More fantasy click-bait about the Patriots. No wonder BB hates the media...

• Thank You Thank You x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Jercules

Jercules Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +142
    “He let, I think, old enemies get the best of him as far as not wanting to trade with Cleveland..."

Old enemies get the best of him? Has Belichick traded with anyone more than Cleveland in his time with the Patriots? Jamie Collins, Josh Gordon... what an unbelievably stupid thing to say.

• Like Like x 3
  6. DaBronxPats14

DaBronxPats14 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,305
    nick wright*?! I stopped wright*there!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +35,659
    [​IMG]

that's Nick Wright on the left....:cool:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +36,457
    My all-time favorite cartoon characters!

• Like Like x 1
  9. jeffro

jeffro On the Roster

Ratings:
    +59
    BB holds a grudge against the Browns? Who are not even the same franchise that fired him?

• Like Like x 2
    • Thank You Thank You x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. brdmaverick

brdmaverick PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,950
    Right, his only value at that point was Brady injury insurance.

11. 1960Pats

1960Pats PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,055
    I don't believe it because of the source.

Speaking of sources, we just got finished watching the movie Richard Jewell. We both give it two thumbs up.

I don't really care so much about the picks. It's all a crap shoot. The Pats may or may not have been able to do better with the trading of JG, but I sure like the results.

Even now, just sitting here typing about it, that big grin is slowly creeping back onto my face. :D

We've been rooting for the greatest QB and HC for two solid decades, and they're on the verge of possibly making it three. :D:D

Anyway, the words haven't been invented that could completely describe it all. Great even seems a little weak.
    :D:D:D

12. 1960Pats

Ratings:
    +13,055
    I bet JG and the 49ers appreciate the gesture. I just wish that I could root for them in the SB. I can't get myself to root for either team.

13. Biffins

Biffins In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,886
    For full season yes. But he was traded with only 8 games left. We wanted that flexibility and it had a cost. Teams were willing to pay if they got more games from Garropollo at rookie contract to test him.

14. 1960Pats

Ratings:
    +13,055
    That's a great summation of the facts. Thanks.

As for the media, there's also the little tidbit about BB being called pond scum by a Boston writer before he ever coached a game. That probably didn't help their relationship.

At first it used to bother me that Belichick was so secretive. Then they started winning and winning and then winning some more. At some point I stopped caring

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady AB Forever PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33,311
    The market for Jimmy was pretty high in the 2017 offseason. I don’t know about the recent report that the Browns offered #12 for him, but was closely following some beat writers like Mary Kay Parker who claimed to have the inside scoop and said the Browns were frustrated because the Patriots were basically demanding a ridiculous price. I think Parker did in fact report the Browns were offering a first round pick but not #1. And Schefter has already reported that was the Patriots plan, to keep him unless someone offered them “a King’s ransom.”

I thought the Browns should have traded the #1 pick for JG and argued for that all offseason. With QB being the most important position by far, a defensive end (Garrret) won’t move the needle, and Garoppolo I thought was better than the crapshoot college QB route. Turns out Mahomes and Watson were there, but they weren’t on the radar as a the top pick (Trubisky was...wtf)

Anyway, I don’t think Garoppolo’s value was as risky as some make it out to be. He practiced with the team frequently and looked not just good, but phenomenal, against Arizona and Miami, before getting hurt. And the Patriots didn’t exactly hide their excitement when they drafted him in 2014. As a point of reference, a ****ty QB like Sam Bradford fetched a first round pick as emergency option. The Bengals claimed they turned down a second round pick for AJ McCarron. Considering all the options, the idea that Garoppolo was the best prospect available, with some fair certainty, wasn’t that far fetched.

The Patriots essentially knew JG’s value would plummet if it were a mid season trade. It’s understandable they wanted all the time possible to assess Brady’s physical condition and be certain they were making the right decision. But it is also a very odd story, that doesn’t seem to be disputed, that they took much less from the 49ers than they could have, which could have been a conditional first round pick or additional picks. I think Bill knew how good Garoppolo was, so while I get why the 49ers made sense (NFC, takes away SF as a later option for Brady, Hoyer as backup), I still feel like they could have gotten a lot more, and that lack of draft capital has finally caught up with them.

16. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14,132
    Serious question: let's say, for the sake of argument, that the Browns offered their 2 in 2018 and a conditional second pick in 2019 that could go up to a 1.

And let's assume Belichick takes it. So: what do they do at backup QB?

17. XLIX

XLIX Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +14,516
    The guy had 6 weeks left on his contract, then he would have been a UFA (unless franchised). I don't believe anyone offered a 1st rounder, let alone a high first rounder, for 6 weeks of service during a season which (for them) was already over. Quite honestly, I consider it pretty impressive we got a 2nd for him.

Did anyone offer more before the season? There's really just no evidence of that.

It's amazing how there's this entire profession where people completely make sh*t up out of thin air, and then criticize other people for not performing a certain way under their completely made up scenarios.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +12,018
    During this loooonger than usual off season, hindsight is 20/15 or better.

Not sure anyone at the time of the Jimmy G trade exactly knew what they had...

19. fair catch fryar

fair catch fryar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,560
    Once I hear Felger and Mazz talk about something like it was fact then I know it is bull$hit.

20. 203Pat

203Pat In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5,213
    I know everyone wants to believe that the team can do no wrong but there was too much smoke to be no fire around the first round pick compensation. It could have been as simple as Bill wanted to do him a solid and there was no other agenda. There was that report that Bill texted Jimmy after every win so it's reasonable to assume there is some admiration there.