PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nick Caley to the Rams

He must have something as McDaniels knew him well and and wanted to take him with him and we thought highly enough of him to block it. The fact that he had no trouble finding another job and had a lot of interviews too. People talk of the lack of production of the TE position but people who know a lot more about football than i do have suggested that positional coaches don't have as much impact on performance as OC, schemes etc. Troy Brown is highly rated and pretty much universally loved and yet has been coaching WR since 2019 and our WR have stunk through most of that time yet Brown isn't blamed generally

Whatever, the years long brain drain of coaching continues unabated but please do continue to insist everything is great.

It is only a "drain" if no-one is replaced. BOB is hiring his own staff so there are as many coaches, so there is no "drain". You might not like BOB's coaching choices, but we are hiring more coaches than 2022, so it is an increase or a "brain fill".

Never could understand the appeal of Nick Caley when he was considered for OC possibilities. Like his pedigree, but perhaps the mish mash offense of the past few years made him part of that problem.

People talk of the lack of production of the TE position but people who know a lot more about football than i do have suggested that positional coaches don't have as much impact on performance as OC, schemes etc. Troy Brown is highly rated and pretty much universally loved and yet has been coaching WR since 2019 and our WR have stunk through most of that time yet Brown isn't blamed generally

Then by your definition, it's not a big loss then since you mention that positional coaches don't have as much impact on performance

Then by your definition, it's not a big loss then since you mention that positional coaches don't have as much impact on performance
I clearly say that other people who know much more than me suggest that positional coaches aren't as responsible for performance as scheme and OC and the reluctance of the pats to let him leave last year and the fact that he was interviewed for OC hint at him being highly rated within the organisation. SO not really my definition at all. I don't know how a pro team is run or who should get the credit.. It is weird that WR have been awful since Brown took over and yet he seems to be very highly rated by fans and the organisation itself and yet Caley is getting panned for the same reason.

What is with the hype surrounding Caley, anyone know? I feel like I keep hearing his name with little understanding what makes him a sought after name.

You have some company.

Why is it the Patriots seem to be the only team where guys keep leaving for lateral jobs?

The brains drain of coaching staff is what lead us to Patricia/judge

My theory is the guy is bright, otherwise Bill wouldn't have blocked him from interviewing w/ Raiders when Josh asked. Bill literally gave him a 5 lb bag of **** and told him: make it work. 39 yo Watson, Asiasi, LaCosse, Keene, Izzo. He finally brought in something decent but over rated: both HH and Smith produced about the same as their previous career averages.

Then, after he passes up play calling duties w/o a title, he witnesses the "Fat Matt- Here come's the Judge" clown show. He's probably one of the sources of the Herald article. At every interview when he was asked: What happened over there? He would say: Did you read the Herald article?

He now gets to work in a top notch facility w/ one of the most creative offensive minds in league, probably for 20% more in pay and 20% less hours. A 40% bump for a lateral move ain't bad. I'd take it.

I thought BB wasn't big on titles. Why not give Caley the title he wanted if he was the one calling plays.

I don't understand the logic in it.

Why the F is Mayo still a linebacker coach?

He shouldn’t be considered a “rising” coach judging from the meager production of his group of TEs in New England. Frankly, he should be demoted to coaching in the college ranks, at a place like UNLV.
I agree, however I give everyone on offense save for BB, Patricia and judge a pass for the 2022 debacle. I actually commend Caley for refusing to accept the OC position without being given the title.. so best wishes for him.. sometimes you have to go to grow!

I thought BB wasn't big on titles. Why not give Caley the title he wanted if he was the one calling plays.

I don't understand the logic in it.

Why the F is Mayo still a linebacker coach?
It's very simple while Brian and Steve are still on the staff poppa Bill isn't going to overstepp his sons.. the call on mayo was from ownership.. the title for a coach is what justifies the salary.. so that's why BB claims he isn't big on tittles.. meanwhile he asked to be named head coach and GM when he took the patriots job, the reason why Parcells left as he couldn't control the roster. As u said it's no logic it was such an asinine move as Curran mentioned ownership was against it.

I agree, however I give everyone on offense save for BB, Patricia and judge a pass for the 2022 debacle. I actually commend Caley for refusing to accept the OC position without being given the title.. so best wishes for him.. sometimes you have to go to grow!

We do not know if that is true, it appears nothing more than media speculation. And if true, it could be a case of Caley cutting off his nose to spite his face. Without the title it still would've been a great career boost for him.

Why is it the Patriots seem to be the only team where guys keep leaving for lateral jobs?

The brains drain of coaching staff is what lead us to Patricia/judge
Low pay, no clear titles given to position coaches as curran mentioned 90 plus hour weeks, high demands and stress on the coaches..

We do not know if that is true, it appears nothing more than media speculation. And if true, it could be a case of Caley cutting off his nose to spite his face. Without the title it still would've been a great career boost for him.
Curran mentioned it on TV, and on air.. so unless he's fabricating it wich I highly doubt Curran is the most locked in patriots reporter... he also does weekly appearances on weei 10-2 show with gresh...however you have to understand this era of patriots players and coaches are not just going to accept anything.. he was on the staff for a while so maybe he felt the rams job was a better opportunity for him..

Low pay, no clear titles given to position coaches as curran mentioned 90 plus hour weeks, high demands and stress on the coaches..
Add to that the sub .500 record the last 3 seasons and no longer being the top dog in the division.

With no playoff wins there's less green balls to go around.

Add to that the sub .500 record the last 3 seasons and no longer being the top dog in the division.

With no playoff wins there's less green balls to go around.
That's absolutely right! Jax has more playoff wins then we do last 3 seasons..

BB is still a HOF coach, but 2022 is solely on him.. Mac should have been in the top 10 QB discussion had this not occurred..

The Callahan herald reports was just confirming what we all had to witness each week was real!

Except for HH posters blaming Caley for the ineptitude of the TE position are misinformed.

He hit a glass ceiling here. Same as Pepper and others. End of story.

Last edited:
Can't really hold anything against him since the whole offense was a 1950s esque trainwreck. Change is probably needed for both sides and hope he does well in LA.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back