PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFP: Lombardi shreds Eric Mangini (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: If you're not fond of Eric Mangini you'll Love this article!

this was already posted in another thread (who can forget the "Uncle Junior" line?), but it's so good I'm happy to read it again.

Does anybody else think if Mangini doesn't get his you-know-what together, it may be a long time before he sees another pro head coach position?

if by "long time" you mean "never," you might be on to something ;)

Mangini will not be back next year, its still a miracle that he got a second job so quickly..

I'd guess his interview went something like Manny Acta's when he was hired by the Cleveland Indians a few weeks ago.

Indians GM: So Manny, I see from your resume that you coached the Washington Nationals for 2 1/2 years and lost nearly 100 more games than you won.

Acta: Yes, that is correct.

Indians GM: You're hired.

I hate to revel in Mangini's misfortune, but I just cannot help myself.

I feel bad fro the Browns and never understand what about Mangini as head coach for the Jets made hiring him seem like the right thing to do. I also predicted at the beginning of the season that the Browns would give him one more year under the "rebuilding" mantra to avoid having to admit it made a colossal mistake in hiring him in the first place. Given the level of bad the Browns have now reached under Mangini, I do not see how he survives as coach once game 16 ends,

Looking back at the disaster that is Eric Mangini, I do have to question BB's judgement in ever making the guy his D coordinator. There must be something he saw in the guy but at this point I am not sure what it is.

Looking back at the disaster that is Eric Mangini, I do have to question BB's judgement in ever making the guy his D coordinator. There must be something he saw in the guy but at this point I am not sure what it is.

Yeah that does make you wonder. Maybe at one point in the Mangenious's career, he was actually good at his job. Go figure. :D

I thought this was the most interesting part:

"The Patriots under Mangini in 2005 gave up too many big plays down the field and were so poorly synchronized that head coach Bill Belichick was forced to take over the defense in mid-stream. Every time Mangini was given more responsibility in New England, he was not successful. Conversely, every time Josh McDaniels’ role was increased, he kept getting more and more successful. However, in spite of Mangini’s bad year, he was rewarded with a head coaching job based on Tannenbaum’s recommendation."

To the untrained eye it looked like Mangini had a pretty bad year as D-Coordinator before he left to become HC of the NYJ. My most lasting image was of BB yelling at him for some bad coverage the Pats were in (actually could have been the year before).

I don't recall BB ever yelling at a coach like he did that time. Anyone else remember that?

Denver. The Playoffs.

Crystal clear in my memory, and it was an ugly 3-4 seconds on national TV.

However, I remember seeing some pretty heated back and forths between him and McDaniels on the sidelines (McDaniels giving it back to BB just as strongly) and they have a great relationship, so you never know.

Last edited:
Re: OT: Eric "the Secret" Mangini

The Peter Principle states that everyone rises to their own level of incompetence.

Defensive Coordinator was Mangina's.

He obviously got the Browns job, because he blames his failures on everyone but himself. The Browns were just stupid enough to buy it.

Mangini is a douche...given... but the roster he inherited was awful. Two sorry QBs, a high priced TE with many issues...etc. He clearly wanted to use the Patriots blue print of 2000-1 to rebuild. Get trusted low price vets, work the draft for more picks, and weed out the me-first guys. This roster regeneration will take 3 years minimum. At some point they will have to pay up for a legit veteran QB and toss these two knuckleheads.
I never thought Mangini did a bad job in NY. Pennington's injury derailed one season, Farve's injury turned a solid season upside down the next year. The GMs of the Jets have blown two significant 1st round picks, Robertson and Gholston, both tying up huge dollars with no production. This is more to blame for the Jets mediocrity this decade than Eric the Rat.

Mangini is a douche...given... but the roster he inherited was awful.
Yeah, but it's a lot worse now. Winslow, Edwards and the #5 pick are all gone and they didn't get a lot out of them. I get that Winslow and Edwards had issues but now that team has nothing . . . NOTHING.

Yeah, but it's a lot worse now. Winslow, Edwards and the #5 pick are all gone and they didn't get a lot out of them. I get that Winslow and Edwards had issues but now that team has nothing . . . NOTHING.

Teams can't have locker room lawyers. Sh*t stinks worse on losing teams...flush the toilet.

3. A recommendation by Mangini that Kokinis be his general manager and that Erin O’Brien be employed somewhere in the organization — after everyone at the Jets warned the Browns not to allow Mangini to make that move. O’Brien is the Manginis’ former babysitter and a friend of his wife Julie. Both Kokinis and O’Brien are now gone.

Now we know how Mangina makes decisions if you baby sit little Brett your qualified for a job in the NFL.:rolleyes:

Is it any wonder why he so bad as a HC.

Last edited:

Teams can't have locker room lawyers. Sh*t stinks worse on losing teams...flush the toilet.
I have the biggest problem with them trading the #5 pick for a solid, though unspectacular Center, a #2 and about three #6s. But they just didn't get that much. Heck, we got about the same for Terry Glenn as they got for Edwards and Glenn had been kicked off the team. From what I've heard they could have had more for Edwards in the past offseason but held onto him after the Stallworth fiasco happened, then they had to give him away later.

Again alot of Mangini 's fault should be blamed on tanenbum, since he hired him for the jets, because of his hatred for the pats... But Mangini is not doing himself any favors either... He will end up in college somewhere after this year, Mangini will not be back next year, its still a miracle that he got a second job so quickly..

Again, Tangini wasn't named the GM of the NYJ until two weeks after Woody got talked into hiring Eric as the HC of the NYJ. Which Eric accomplished in part by telling secrets in his interview... Two weeks later there was a palace coup and Bradway was swept aside and Tangini was rewarded for helping land what the NY media immediately characterized as the true genius behind BB's defenses, and putting the JETS front and center on the back ages of the NY tabloids.

Remember Nick Saban... Eric is Nick, Jr. Brilliant defensive mind, can't identify NFL caliber talent, can't deal with grown men, overplay the one voice into no voice,public and private ballbuster, impatient and egotistical, refuse to take responsibility and be held accountable, finger pointer, quick to move on after failure as if nothing happened that was on them...

Denver. The Playoffs.

However, I remember seeing some pretty heated back and forths between him and McDaniels on the sidelines (McDaniels giving it back to BB just as strongly) and they have a great relationship, so you never know.

The only time we ever saw McDaniels yell was that time he and Bill were heading for the locker room and I think that was a case of Josh trying to make a point in a noisy venue before they got inside where there's only 12 minutes to make adjustments...Bill never opened his mouth, he was listening. Bill trusted untitled Josh with his offense even in 2005 and spent most of his time assessing his defense.

Mangini and Bill on the other hand mixed it up pretty good routinely behind the scenes dating back to when Eric was a position coach under RAC but in Denver, in public, Bill was the one yelling...and that was in a season when he took away Eric's red hoody for a while.

If Lerner cares about that team in any form or fashion, Mangini will be gone by the end of this season. I saw a stat the other day that made my jaw drop: that the Saints defense has scored more touchdowns than the Browns offense. :eek:

In NY Eric had to settle for what he could get staff wise and some decisions were made for him, including retaining Shottsie, Jr. as OC. In Cleveland he got to select his own staff and chose to go with a rookie OC because he followed him to NY after BB refused to even give him the QB's coach position...

This is just one more sign that Eric lacked the foundation to become a successful HC. He's too egotistical to acknowledge his own potential shortcomings and need for a support system that is knowledgeable rather than merely loyal or totally dependent on him for a leg up. Josh on the other hand had both the healthy the self confidence and humility to allow him to hire some senior advisors like Nolan he could lean on. As well as the sense and patience to stay the course until his mentor told him he was ready to run an organization and had earned a shot at it.

When Bill got here he had a plethora of not just veteran players and bright young minds he could tap but ties to veteran coordinators and position coaches and even a career position coach he could elevate to assistant HC to help him sell the system. He also had a core of senior advisors like Ernie and Berj he had cultivated over decades. And a savvy ownership he knew and chose to persue working with for good reason. Eric has nobody like that for a couple of reasons...and that is nobody's fault but Eric's...

I have always maintained that with a healthy Chad Pennington like Mangini had in 2006, Herm Edwards would have gotten the Jets to 10 wins or more. I think Jets fans were duped into the fact that having a healthy starting QB wasn't a big deal from their bad fortunes in 2005 where both Pennington and Jay Feeley were knocked out for the season.

In a universe where there was no two minute drill or clock Herm might succeed, but not in this one. No HC was ever as befuddled by the time clock as Herm. Like a bird frozen in fear staring at the snake about to strike, Herm's eyes went vacant as seconds ticked away. Game over.

Last edited:

Denver. The Playoffs.

Right. I've posted here previously about BB going ballistic with Romeo on the sidelines. Stuff like that occurs under pressure and time constraints. Obviously, the quality assistant coaches were able to recover from these encounters by impressing BB with previous and subsequent valuable contributions while Eric the Rat stole the playbook instead.

Wose yet, from what we understand now, these were purely Mangini's calls with the GM out of the loop. Incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes