PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLPA committee voted for new CBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since no one posted it previously, here is the memo sent LAST WEEK to the NFLPA. We already know that several things have been added/changed to the benefit of the players.

Big Items I see:

Changes to the 4th/5th years of 1st round pick contracts
Changes to escalators for 2-7th round picks
More pay for players who sign Minimum deals
More Performance Based Pay Monies
Enlarging of the PS from 10 to 12 an then 14 players.
2 players on the PS can have unlimited accrued seasons.

Increases in the post career monies. (Pension, Annuity, and 401K matching)
HRA of $35K that increases to $350-450K PER YEAR??

Changes to the Drug program
Changes to the Discipline Program, (Neutral decision maker for "most Commissioner Discipline cases - AKA Article 46)

Changes to the Minimum standards for facilities.

IMHO, these things most affect the Middle to Lower salary players. But, there are some significant POST- Career items that are nothing to sneeze at.

I'm looking for other links to NFLPA memos since I've also read that they are increasing the active and game rosters to 55 and 48 respectively along with the increase to the PS.

Though the Devil is in the details, this does seem like a move in the right direction for many things and does seem to address many post-career monetary issues.

Just for FESTY.

Devon Kennard explains his affirmative vote to send CBA proposal to members - ProFootballTalk

Guess your claim that players don't want a 17th game doesn't actually hold water..

It would seem more than a few are willing to accept it with the following:
"1/17th game check for all players, a significant bump in minimum salaries, an increase(d) (percentage) of the cap, a significant increase in benefits and better quality of life (camp/offseason schedule)."

it's only a matter of time before the NFL asks for an 18 game season, IMO.

Either the NFL is going to move into different markets other than the US or extend the current seasons.

it's only a matter of time before the NFL asks for an 18 game season, IMO.

Not happening this go around. Maybe 2-3 CBAs from now.. By then, it won't matter because the product will suck tremendously and the viewership won't be what it is today..

Not happening this go around. Maybe 2-3 CBAs from now.. By then, it won't matter because the product will suck tremendously and the viewership won't be what it is today..

Why do you think the product will suck by then?

Why do you think the product will suck by then?

The product has been going downhill since 2011 and the last CBA agreement. The last CBA cut all sorts of player practice time, including times in pads and such. Based on the memo, the amount of practices, time in full pads, and time at facilities is going to be cut drastically. And it will show on the field even more. And despite the claim they are doing it for player safety, neither the league nor the players have shown a single shred of evidence that the reduced pratices, time in pads, etc has led to fewer injuries amongst the players.

Based on what I've seen, I'd posit that the number of injuries has stayed the same or possibly increased with the reductions they've made.

The product has been going downhill since 2011 and the last CBA agreement. The last CBA cut all sorts of player practice time, including times in pads and such. Based on the memo, the amount of practices, time in full pads, and time at facilities is going to be cut drastically. And it will show on the field even more. And despite the claim they are doing it for player safety, neither the league nor the players have shown a single shred of evidence that the reduced pratices, time in pads, etc has led to fewer injuries amongst the players.
Whether or not one feels the product has gone downhill is a matter of opinion but fact is that viewership is on an overall upward trend over the past 10 years. There is little reason to believe that cutting a couple more offseason activities will change that. The casual fan doesn't notice and, as we here kinda demonstrate, the hardcore fan complains but still watches.

Also, I don't think reducing offseason activites is about reducing injuries. I think it is little more than the players wanting to take things easy (or, at the very least, easier). That is a negotiating point that the owners are happy to concede because they don't lose a darn thing by reducing the number of practices in July.

Another idiotic provision in the new CBA is getting made into an even more idiotic provision:

The price of driving drunk goes up under the proposed CBA.

Currently, a DUI offense results in a baseline suspension of two games. The new labor deal, if ratified by the players, will result in a 50-percent increase in the punishment.

According to the details provided by the NFL Players Association to all players, a DUI will result in a three-game suspension moving forward.

Proposed CBA increases penalties for DUI - ProFootballTalk

Humans really are stupid creatures.

Football players don't want to start practice until late July or play an extra game but
they want to be paid like basketball and baseball players who play many more games.

Article 46 is one of those things that only effect a few players, but if it effects a star player on your team it becomes more significant..

To allow the Commissioner to arbitrarily discipline a football player for a vague reason with no review is an injustice for all players.. it creates an appearance of impropriety.

All discipline matters should be deferred to a neutral 3rd body or neutral group...

If this passes, feel like the players used little of the leverage they have. Hate this 17th game and extra playoff game.

https://t.co/QrwEOIu50d?amp=1

Hard agree, drunk driving isn't that bad
Yeah, it’s bad. That’s why the courts deal with it as harshly as they do.

You're going OT (not blaming you, given the post you responded to), so I won't address your post beyond asking the question (and then the follow up):

What is the basis for criminalizing DUI? What's the mens rea for a DUI crime?

Hard agree, drunk driving isn't that bad

You're going OT (not blaming you, given the post you responded to), so I won't address your post beyond asking the question (and then the follow up):

What is the basis for criminalizing DUI? What's the mens rea for a DUI crime?

I’m 99% sure Elijah was being sarcastic with his comment about DUIs. And he was responding to Deus, who was making a larger point about why off-field misconduct has nothing to do with football, not about DUIs being minor.

I’m 99% sure Elijah was being sarcastic with his comment about DUIs. And he was responding to Deus, who was making a larger point about why off-field misconduct has nothing to do with football, not about DUIs being minor.
My sarcasm might have been lost there. I don’t think the NFL should be sticking their noses into DUIs at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes