PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL scout on Garoppolo: Bill thinks he's got the next great one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same discussion that's been rehashed here 100,000 times. Jimmy Garrapolo isn't going to be here in two years because they aren't going to pay him more than Tom Brady to hold a clipboard. If Belichick gets rid of Brady then he's a moron, period, but that won't happen because Belichick isn't a moron and the only people stupid enough to think he would have wood for Jimmy Garrapolo and delusions he will be a franchise QB for the next decade. So you tell me, what's more likely, Tim Brady continues to be a top 5 player in the league for the next four years, or Jimmy Garrapolo will step in and win 75% of his games and multiple Super Bowls over the next 6 years?

People can talk all they want about replacing Brady with Garrapolo but don't get offended when others tell you that is idiotic, because that is exactly what it is. And anyone who floats a completely idiotic idea out there should be able to take the criticism for it. Just as if I started a thread with the premise that they should move Malcom Butler to defensive tackle, which is on par with the idea of getting rid of Brady for Garrapolo.

Saying moving Butler to DT is the same as swapping out TB12 for Jimmy is absurd.

As much as I'd like to see it, saying TB12 will still be a top 5 QB at 44 years old is sheer speculation which is why Jimmy is still here.

You might want to temper your assessment of the discussion.

No one is saying to trade Tom. There are many ifs

This what really makes me nuts about this discussion, you guys keep saying " no one is talking about getting rid of Brady" when in fact that is the only way your scenario of Garrapolo succeeding him can happen. Brady has been explicit, he is going to play into his mid forties, and Jimmy Garrapolo will be long gone by the time that rolls around. And, since Garrapolo cannot actually win the job the only alternative is getting rid of the much better player, which is way beyond stupid.

Saying moving Butler to DT is the same as swapping out TB12 for Jimmy is absurd.

As much as I'd like to see it, saying TB12 will still be a top 5 QB at 44 years old is sheer speculation which is why Jimmy is still here.

No, it's accurate, getting rid of the best player in the game for a guy who couldn't make it through two games is equivalent to moving Butler to DT.

Which way has he been trending the past five years?

That's reality, not Kellermans Cliff.

How about answering my question?

What is more likely, Tom Brady continues to be a top 5 player the next 4 years, or Jimmy Garrapolo wins 75% of his games and multiple Lombardis his next 6.

This what really makes me nuts about this discussion, you guys keep saying " no one is talking about getting rid of Brady" when in fact that is the only way your scenario of Garrapolo succeeding him can happen. Brady has been explicit, he is going to play into his mid forties, and Jimmy Garrapolo will be long gone by the time that rolls around. And, since Garrapolo cannot actually win the job the only alternative is getting rid of the much better player, which is way beyond stupid.

What Tom wants and what BB decides is not the same.

No, it's accurate, getting rid of the best player in the game for a guy who couldn't make it through two games is equivalent to moving Butler to DT.

It's ridiculous. Find a better analogy

Jimmy Garrapolo made it through 5 quarters when the Patriots needed him for four games. He looked good when he played but that's barely over one game, and NFL history is rife with QBs who had a few hot starts and then failed. He has never played a month, let alone a season, let alone a decade. People here are acting as if replacing Brady with Garrapolo will continue the dynasty, when in truth the dynasty is dead the moment either Belichick or Brady hangs them up, and for the life of me I cannot understand why every single Patriot fan wouldn't want that to last as long as possible. Jimmy Garrapolo could be a good QB, no one knows, including Belichick, or he could be Rob Johnson, Colin Kaepernick, ir RGIII etc etc......that remains to be seen, but Brady is the best player in football, both historically and right at this moment, and talk of replacing him is moronic
I think you might be wrong about the run coming to an abrupt halt with the exit of either BB or Brady. This team has solid ownership and a winning culture. I don't advocate replacing Brady with Garoppolo (or anyone else) until Tom's capabilities show obvious evidence of sliding, which some people believe already has begun, if slightly.

The fact remains that Brady is nearing the end; I simply don't see him playing far into his forties, if that. I personally believe that Garoppolo -- from what I've seen of his mechanics, accuracy and decision making in camp/preseason/regular season -- is a special talent with a bright future (hopefully in New England). We have him for one more season guaranteed, and a lot can happen in that season. I also happen to believe it is NOT impossible that Garappolo can be afforded contract-wise after this season along with Brady, if both are healthy. Where things get dicey speculation-wise is BB's practice of cutting veterans loose a year or so before their time.

But there's no telling what he has in mind, just as there's no telling what happens this coming season. I think the real answers will reveal themselves soon enough and when they do, they'll be obvious -- via someone being injured, Jimmy being traded, Brady retiring, or Garoppolo signing an extension. All are possibilities. But I think it's becoming apparent that whatever happens, Garoppolo represents a significant factor that should not be dismissed.

How about answering my question?

What is more likely, Tom Brady continues to be a top 5 player the next 4 years, or Jimmy Garrapolo wins 75% of his games and multiple Lombardis his next 6.

I heard the same argument from Montana fans and look what happened.

I think like BB does. He's protecting against the downside and contingency planning for the future. He is on record as saying its hard to predict how older players will perform from one year to the next.

You are saying with supreme confidence Tom will be a Top 5 QB for the next 5 years . The fact of the matter is BB is hedging his bets because he is not as certain as you are. I'm not sure why you don't see that?

You're absolutely right about Bruschi, Brown and Faulk. The difference is that they were more easily replaceable than Tom Brady. I think BB will be here long after TB is gone. I believe this to my core: Bill Belichick will replace Tom Brady earlier rather than later, if he thinks he has a reasonable replacement for him. If JG is franchised, which will be extremely difficult to do, or if he re-ups without the franchise tag, Tom will be in jeopardy. I believe Tom Brady will end his career elsewhere, and I despise saying that. But, I think he's the type of guy who will need to have the uniform ripped off his back before he retires.
Why would you ever think that bill belichick would hurt his football team in purpose?

I tend to agree. If BB sees Tom dropping in performance say 5% next year from 2016 and projects another 5% in 2018 , I think he's moving him for as much value he can get in return.

One year early....
No chance.
And Brady dropping 10% in performance is still the best QB in the NFL.

Iirc there were solid reports that the Brownies were offering #12 for Jimmy.
No there were rumors from reporters. Most were what they thought would be offered.

You are fundamentally incorrect there is at least one other way and which Garoppolo replace Brady and that is that Brady declines while we still have Garoppolo, to the point that Garoppolo is the best starting quarterback on team. If that actually happens there is no way in hell that Brady would be the full-time starter. It would be organizational malfeasance to Coddle Brady if you was not your best hope of winning. Belichick might love Brady but no franchise in the NFL is going to throw away its best chance at a ring over a single person no matter how important to the past of the franchise

Brady has said that he will play for several more years to come but that is obviously contingent on his ability to do so and that ability rarely last as late as Brady says he wants to play. I am going to go out on a limb and say that ability never lasts as late as Brady wants to play. Certainly it never has before at least not on an elite level.

You see I'm not like you, when I say that Bill Belichick has a tough decision to make I mean that he has a tough decision to make. I don't presuppose what that answer will be and I don't close my mind to possibilities. Either promoting Garoppolo or sticking with Brady could wind up being the correct decision depending on how things go.

And Garoppolo needing to step in and be the best quarterback on the New England Patriots franchise is a possibility that you me and Belichick cannot afford to ignore even if it never happens at all

Last edited:
Don't curse it. As much as anyone here would love Brady playing into his mid 40s, we shouldn't treat it as a sure thing even if he wants to. Just never know.

Why would you ever think that bill belichick would hurt his football team in purpose?
That s exactly why Garoppolo is still here. Because placing 100% blind faith in Brady to do things no one has ever done such as playing at an elite level at age 42 and beyond, is more likely than not to hurt the franchise

If this article came from anyone other than Mike Giardi, I would give it more weight. But Giardi is the head of Jimmy Garoppolo's PR firm. He talks up Garoppolo more than Don Yee.

I hope these quotes are right, but I can see Giardi shopping for quotes like these.

No chance.
And Brady dropping 10% in performance is still the best QB in the NFL.

Of course he still will be the best.

With Bill, it's all about the projection.

Of course he still will be the best.

With Bill, it's all about the projection.

No it's not, it's about performance and availability, and Brady performs at a higher level than any player in history, and Jimmy Garrapolo wasn't able to make it through two games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back