PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Playoffs officially expanded to 14 teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the new 17 game schedule becoming even more imbalanced (the Pats would have an additional 1st place team on their schedule) you will see some weaker teams sneak in due to a particularly easy schedule in a given year. Obviously prior year record is not always the determining factor but it typically has some correlation.

Assume Pats play Ravens, Texans and Packers while the Jets get to play the Bengals, Jags and Lions? With a dominant team that can be overcome but it could become deciding factor in more instances going forward.

Well this New rule won't affect this untalented Patriots Team especially on O for a while.

Meh...we've seen plenty of teams go on a run.

Not sure how you managed to come to that conclusion based off what I said. You really took a leap there. My point was, I'm glad this is happening now rather than when the pats were still competing every year for the 1 or 2 seed for obvious reasons. Some years we got the 2 and a bye. With his new nonsense that wouldn't be the case. That was my only point.
Ok, so the patriots have had the #2 seed more than other teams, so therefore that makes it better for the league. And just BTW, the extra money goes to our players, and most of us will enjoy having the extra game.

What is happening is that folks are simply opposing change. The number of playoff teams and the number of games have changed several times, and will likely change again in the next contract, and in the one after after that.

This will make Brady's playoff records easier for someone to break:mad:

There was no fing reason to fix the playoff format. I don't get it.

I try to not reject change out of a simple dislike for change, even though that's kind of a natural thing after decades of enjoying a product as-is.

But I really don't think we need almost half of the league in the playoffs.

Ok, so the patriots have had the #2 seed more than other teams, so therefore that makes it better for the league. And just BTW, the extra money goes to our players, and most of us will enjoy having the extra game.

What is happening is that folks are simply opposing change. The number of playoff teams and the number of games have changed several times, and will likely change again in the next contract, and in the one after after that.

What’s happening is that people have loved the current playoff system and therefore oppose this.

Well the NFL clearly ended whatever player safety charade they were trying to sell. With a 17th game on the schedule and now an additional playoff game for 4 more teams they can no longer make that a viable talking point (though of course they will try) Do not like the fact that we'll see more banged up Super Bowl teams playing in their 21st game of the season.

Am fine with change in general but I felt the 16 game schedule and 6 playoff teams per conference was the best balance of all the major sports leagues.

This just helps to protect the Patriots records. It’s harder for any given team to win a Super Bowl.
The odds remain the same. One team out of 32 wins.

The odds remain the same. One team out of 32 wins.

They decrease for any given team to win more in a shorter stretch of time though. If you look at MLB, you’ll see that dynasties stopped when the playoffs expanded and more rounds were introduced. This won’t be a major factor but will be a factor for preventing dynasties. If they go with 8 playoff teams - meaning you need to win 4 games for a title - that absolutely will change things.

I absolutely love it. Good teams will win the Superbowl....doesn't matter.

The UPSIDE....wild card weekend with 6 games!!!! 3 on Saturday and 3 on Sunday!!! That is like two extra NFL sundays on the couch! And killer parlay plays....

With the new 17 game schedule becoming even more imbalanced (the Pats would have an additional 1st place team on their schedule) you will see some weaker teams sneak in due to a particularly easy schedule in a given year. Obviously prior year record is not always the determining factor but it typically has some correlation.

Assume Pats play Ravens, Texans and Packers while the Jets get to play the Bengals, Jags and Lions? With a dominant team that can be overcome but it could become deciding factor in more instances going forward.

2020 will be 16 games (if that), so it'll be another year until we can get into specifics about who we play and what that means for us.

And I'm not doubting you, but where did you see that the 17th game will be another "same divisional finish" opponent? That would imply a 5th out of conference game for every team.

They decrease for any given team to win more in a shorter stretch of time though. If you look at MLB, you’ll see that dynasties stopped when the playoffs expanded and more rounds were introduced. This won’t be a major factor but will be a factor for preventing dynasties. If they go with 8 playoff teams - meaning you need to win 4 games for a title - that absolutely will change things.
It will change many things, but the odds of winning the superbowl isn't one of them.

This will make Brady's playoff records easier for someone to break:mad:

Not sure I follow the logic here. It's going to be harder to break the record that matters most because only one team gets a bye every year, which Brady never won a ring without.

It wouldn't even necessarily be easier to break the volume records because each team in the playoffs still gets a maximum of 4 games. The only way a player could break those records by directly benefitting the rule would be as a perennial 7 seed, which seems like a poor formula to break every playoff record.

It will change many things, but the odds of winning the superbowl isn't one of them.

How does removing a bye team not change those odds?

Again, you’re not understanding.

It changes the likelihood of one team stringing together multiple championships within a relatively short timeframe. This is because every team requires a little more luck to win than before, rather than just the wild card round teams.

Whereas, the Patriots from 2010-18, with a bye, had roughly a 20-25% chance of winning each year, an extra playoff round reduces that to 15-20% (assuming they’re still the favorite each round.)

In baseball, you used to need to win just one series to win the pennant. Now it’s 3 series and sometimes an additional game too. Look at what’s happened when extra rounds are introduced. Yes, there’s still a winner each year, and yes, that winner is more likely to be random year to year.

The odds of another QB making 13 Conference Championship games and 9 Super Bowls just became a bit more difficult. Pats getting 2 seed byes were a big help. I do not think is necessarily impacts catching Brady's 30 wins as Brady "lost out" on numerous WC wins over the years due to team getting the bye.

I do not believe the 17 game formula has been finalized but from what I have read it appeared likely that one conference would get the extra home game in a given year and the extra game would likely come from pairing divisions across conferences by place in standings. (not sure there is a better alternative) Pats already play NFCW this year and played NFCE last year so my guess is it would come from one of other 2.

Not sure I follow the logic here. It's going to be harder to break the record that matters most because only one team gets a bye every year, which Brady never won a ring without.

It wouldn't even necessarily be easier to break the volume records because each team in the playoffs still gets a maximum of 4 games. The only way a player could break those records by directly benefitting the rule would be as a perennial 7 seed, which seems like a poor formula to break every playoff record.

I guess I just look at it as more opportunities for teams to make the playoffs, so it gives them more chances at volume stats.. but i guess you're right, its really just 1 more team making it in and still the same number of games

I still hate the rule change tho, "I dont care, I cant stand it!" :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye