PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Playoffs: Detroit Lions at Dallas Cowboys - odds, stats, preview and prediction

You might be better off not broadcasting your guesses. I've seen absolutely no evidence of that here.

My "guess" is based off the demographics of the parts of New England that root for the Patriots. Black folks are few and far between--it's just a fact that can easily proven up by census data. Assuming this board is representative of the greater community, I doubt very much that I'm far off. But that's really irrelevant and I shouldn't have mentioned it. I'm not one to call "racist" and I hate that it colors (no pun intended) so many issues that shouldn't be about race, but in my experience some posters on this board refer to outspoken black athletes as "thugs." That is just my experience, but it does bother me.

8ZYNp.gif

Since when is Sherman a "thug" ? Did i miss something?

This country better hope the cable never goes out because I'm pretty much convinced preoccupation with television is the only thing holding this thing together.

Murika.

Would you care if you had?
You're pretty funny. The answer is yes, I would. I don't care for racist behavior any more than you do. Nor do I care for injecting race into arguments when it's unwarranted.

That will be talked about a long time and rightfully so. Easy pi call to make, zero legit reason to overturn. Worst call I can remember off the top since the replacement refs in the gb - sea game.

Just because a someone got good grades from a fancy school doesn't make them magically a wonderful person.

Of course you are right, but That's not the point Rob. The word thug has specific meanings. It's not pushing someone out the way to get in line, or not holding the elevator door. There are plenty of not so nice people.

A quick google search will show you a clear link between Poverty/Education to crime. It shows that Highly educated criminals are few and far between in this country. When you levy the word thug or gangster at someone it's meanings aren't broad. There are VERY little Thug valedictorians graduating from top 25 universities. There may be some out there somewhere sure, but the odds are so small that the idea of calling random college graduates thugs seems silly, no? The same here. It's silly, to assume Richard Sherman a college educated, former valedictorian millionaire is a thug or gangster. And obviously racially charged.

That's all the sig says in a nutshell. The fact that people are so attracted to it is telling imo

Of course you are right, but That's not the point Rob. The word thug has specific meanings. It's not pushing someone out the way to get in line, or not holding the elevator door. There are plenty of not so nice people.

A quick google search will show you a clear link between Poverty/Education to crime. It shows that Highly educated criminals are few and far between in this country. When you levy the word thug or gangster at someone it's meanings aren't broad. There are VERY little Thug valedictorians graduating from top 25 universities. There may be some out there somewhere sure, but the odds are so small that the idea of calling random college graduates thugs seems silly, no? The same here. It's silly, to assume Richard Sherman a college educated, former valedictorian millionaire is a thug or gangster. And obviously racially charged.

That's all the sig says in a nutshell. The fact that people are so attracted to it is telling imo
We're not "attracted" to it, o clueless one. We're irritated by it, and not for the profoundly meaningful reason you're assuming.

it's natural for fans to call him a thug. is he a thug? probably not. but

1. he acted like a thug on the field - challenging brady, calling out crabtree
2. he acted like a thug on a national televised TV vs. skip - acting all tough.

maybe he is a good boy. maybe he has bad intentions and release his bad intention on a football field to channel his evil. who knows.

but if he doesn't want to be called a thug then stop acting like an angry man from compton.

What is a thug? Him running up to trash talk brady during a sporting event is thug behavior?

Challenging a journalist who's saying you aren't in the same universe as your peers is thug behavior?

So he has to act a certain way to gain your approval? he can't express himself or he's an angry guy from Compton. Interesting.

Is Brady an angry guy from suburban California when he drops F bombs on the sidelines or is that just fine?

That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. That's great that you realize that Richard Sherman is not a thug. I thought it was a pretty funny lighthearted joke that most people took as such, it's fine if you thought it was in poor taste. You agree with a 100K fine for what Lynch did? I think there is an error in the perception of people's intelligence based on how they talk. Talking a certain way means almost nothing.

I don't understand why you are agreeing with dudes who clearly have less sense than you do. The MAJORITY of thugs are not from a stable family, don't have good educations, and have a very small world view. The MAJORITY are not Valedictorians or graduates from top 25 universities. There is a direct link from poverty/ lack of education to crime. The data says highly educated thugs are not very prevalent. Assuming an educated man is a Thug based on nothing(race) seems dubious at best is my only point. Not saying you are that person.

Test taking also isn't the best measure of intelligence. Some people just aren't good in those scenarios. So his wonderlic doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme.

public don't think that way. they won't investigate. they just see it from TV and draw their own conclusion. again, sherman brought this to himself. when you go 'heel', people will say things.

for me, i just don't like his act. it's tiring me out.

i don't care if richard sherman made perfect scores on SAT.
i don't care if he nailed A+ on all of his tests.
i don't care if he is a rocket scientist.
i don't care if he is a rhode scholar.
i don't care where he is from.
i don't care if he had both families or grew up alone.

i just have a problem with the way he acts when camera is on. can you imagine brady grabbing a mic and start spitting nonsense? 'Hey Suggs! you dare to challenge me? Hey Suggs, call me daddy!' can you imagine brady on First Take and say 'i'm better than you at life, skip!!'?

act or no act, this irritated many people including myself. when you act like a buffoon, people will call you a buffoon. he will always be a punk to me because that's what he did IMO. maybe he will grow up. people do grow up. but i'm sure this is exactly what he wanted. he practiced it. he wrote it down. he sold his brand very well. you mentioned WWE. he seems like he put on a 'richard sherman' character. i find that even more irritating. i like genuine people. i'm in a creative profession, and i deal with characters all the time. it's fascinating to see people live a dual life.

We're not "attracted" to it, o clueless one. We're irritated by it, and not for the profoundly meaningful reason you're assuming.

lol @ "O clueless one".

Sherman is a top 3 corner that takes incredible work ethic after being drafted in the mid rounds. Dude is a hard working American and a very charitable person as well. He came from very humble beginings and is a great success story. That's the point of the sig.

He doesn't deserve to be called a thug or gangster.

Believe me, people are `attracted` to it because it pissed people off that Richard Sherman got in Brady's face. That's it. If you're a Patriot fan you should know that Tom is New England royalty. If you were from New England and not Philadelphia you would know it even more. It's like what a Chicago reaction would be to Allen Iverson getting in a 36 year old Michael Jordan's face all hostile like after beating him in a game.

I understand why black people see racial vibes in the word thug but it's also used interchangeably with punk, rightly or wrongly. It's not like proper use of language is a strong suit in this country. To put it simply, we just say ****.

You see thug and think racial undertones.

I say thug and think "This #^#&!#% guy getting loud with Tom Brady"

Last edited:
lol @ "O clueless one".

Sherman is a top 3 corner that takes incredible work ethic after being drafted in the mid rounds. Dude is a hard working American and a very charitable person as well. He came from very humble beginings and is a great success story. That's the point of the sig.

He doesn't deserve to be called a thug or gangster.
Nobody here called him a thug or gangster. But he does deserve to be called a punk. That you can't argue with.

Either way, your sig irritates folks around here for valid reasons, which is reason enough to end it.

The posters on here seem to know he's an intelligent person and not an everyday criminal, so who's your sig directed at. He's been called a loud mouth punk, the term thug is thrown around loosely as well, I think people mean loud mouth not a text book definition but that's just my opinion.

As for a quick google search, I'm not going to get into all that with you. I'll just say this, in the getto you watch your wallet in the burbs you monitor your bank account...:cool:

What is a thug? Him running up to trash talk brady during a sporting event is thug behavior?

Challenging a journalist who's saying you aren't in the same universe as your peers is thug behavior?

So he has to act a certain way to gain your approval? he can't express himself or he's an angry guy from Compton. Interesting.

Is Brady an angry guy from suburban California when he drops F bombs on the sidelines or is that just fine?

i'm a good boy, but i scream obscenities when i shoot air ball in my rec league. showing passion during the game is ok. that's what athletes do! larry bird trash talked. Brady is a trash talker. but they act classy when camera is on. they know when to stop. because people are watching. because kids are watching.

right or wrong, sherman sets a bad example to many kids. he maybe the smartest guy in the world, but his action or 'acting' was irritating. his thuggish WWE 'heel' persona is not a good example. i don't want my kids to be like richard sherman.

is it entertaining? yeah, you can say that. i got tired of the act, but i found it amusing. but i see a danger in this kind of self promotion. football players are faceless. sherman was smart enough to know that. he sold himself to the public and he did a masterful job. but i despise that kind of self promotion. it's actually worse than a thuggish behavior IMO.

public don't think that way. they won't investigate. they just see it from TV and draw their own conclusion. again, sherman brought this to himself. when you go 'heel', people will say things.

for me, i just don't like his act. it's tiring me out.

i don't care if richard sherman made perfect scores on SAT.
i don't care if he nailed A+ on all of his tests.
i don't care if he is a rocket scientist.
i don't care if he is a rhode scholar.
i don't care where he is from.
i don't care if he had both families or grew up alone.

i just have a problem with the way he acts when camera is on. can you imagine brady grabbing a mic and start spitting nonsense? 'Hey Suggs! you dare to challenge me? Hey Suggs, call me daddy!' can you imagine brady on First Take and say 'i'm better than you at life, skip!!'?

act or no act, this irritated many people including myself. when you act like a buffoon, people will call you a buffoon. he will always be a punk to me because that's what he did IMO. maybe he will grow up. people do grow up. but i'm sure this is exactly what he wanted. he practiced it. he wrote it down. he sold his brand very well. you mentioned WWE. he seems like he put on a 'richard sherman' character. i find that even more irritating. i like genuine people. i'm in a creative profession, and i deal with characters all the time. it's fascinating to see people live a dual life.

Being a Corner or Wide Receiver grants you latitude with the things you can say and do. QB's follow a different set of rules for obvious reasons. The self promotion really isn't necessary anyway. I agree I wouldn't want my QB doing too much trash talking, not just Tom Brady, anybody. You are the face of the team as long as you are QB1. For a mid round CB it's paid off. Deion wasn't primetime becuse he was really good. He made himself into the character and figure he is today. He is still cashing checks becuse of that persona, I think Sherman is setting himself up nicely for when his playing days are done.

I think he's grown up just fine. There are lots of characters in the NFL, NBA, MLB and anywhere else that entertains the masses. BB is a character for sure. Lots of people hate him for being shut down blah blah blah. But it's in his best interest to be that way. Sherman marketed himself and it paid off. Think what you want but when people say racist ******** don't expect to be greeted with kudos from the people of said race. Dude isn't a thug in any way shape or form. None of his behavior is consistant with criminality. It's complete nonsense and EVRYONE with a brain knows it.

i'm a good boy, but i scream obscenities when i shoot air ball in my rec league. showing passion during the game is ok. that's what athletes do! larry bird trash talked. Brady is a trash talker. but they act classy when camera is on. they know when to stop. because people are watching. because kids are watching.

right or wrong, sherman sets a bad example to many kids. he maybe the smartest guy in the world, but his action or 'acting' was irritating. his thuggish WWE 'heel' persona is not a good example. i don't want my kids to be like richard sherman.

is it entertaining? yeah, you can say that. i got tired of the act, but i found it amusing. but i see a danger in this kind of self promotion. football players are faceless. sherman was smart enough to know that. he sold himself to the public and he did a masterful job. but i despise that kind of self promotion. it's actually worse than a thuggish behavior IMO.

When I was a kid I wanted to be Deion. He looked like me, talked like me and was damn good. He had STYLE. Now they call it SWAG. Kids will def grow up wanting to be like Sherman. The POTUS reenacted his post game rant at a press dinner in Washington. Kids did a mash up of his post game in video and it was adorable and funny. Dude is winning.

Bird was one of the most unsportsmanlike players to ever play. He was amazing but he was dirty as hell, he did whatever to win, that's not exactly politically correct but we admire him all the same. You'd never instruct your kid to low bridge a dude or punch someone etc. but he was still a role model

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back