PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL LB Legends

Speaking about Ray Lewis, I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks he is a bit overrated in terms of his recognized position as the best LB of the late 90s/early 2000s? Personally I don't think that Derrick Brooks' impact was not that much lower than that of Lewis yet he is seldomly mentioned in the same breath as Ray Lewis. Just take a look at their individual stats between 1996 (the year Lewis was drafted) and 2008 (the year Brooks retired), note that certain stats like passes defensed and TFL are only available from 1999 onwards:

Lewis / Brooks
Games played: 178 / 208
Interceptions: 28 / 25
Passes Defensed: 76 / 84
Fumbles forced: 12 / 22
Sacks: 33.5 / 12.5
Solo Tackles: 1249 / 1237
Assisted Tackles: 381 / 394
TFL: 81 / 68

The only area where Ray Lewis clearly comes up on top even after factoring in that Brooks during that span played 30 games more than him (Derrick Brooks played 16 games in all 14 of his seasons which is insane for a LB) is in terms of sacks (which also influence the TFL numbers since a sack is counted as TFL as far as I know). And even if we factor in the defensive performance of their teams there was not much of a difference between the Baltimore and Tampa Bay Ds during that time frame.

Speaking about Ray Lewis, I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks he is a bit overrated in terms of his recognized position as the best LB of the late 90s/early 2000s? Personally I don't think that Derrick Brooks' impact was not that much lower than that of Lewis yet he is seldomly mentioned in the same breath as Ray Lewis. Just take a look at their individual stats between 1996 (the year Lewis was drafted) and 2008 (the year Brooks retired), note that certain stats like passes defensed and TFL are only available from 1999 onwards:

Lewis / Brooks
Games played: 178 / 208
Interceptions: 28 / 25
Passes Defensed: 76 / 84
Fumbles forced: 12 / 22
Sacks: 33.5 / 12.5
Solo Tackles: 1249 / 1237
Assisted Tackles: 381 / 394
TFL: 81 / 68

The only area where Ray Lewis clearly comes up on top even after factoring in that Brooks during that span played 30 games more than him (Derrick Brooks played 16 games in all 14 of his seasons which is insane for a LB) is in terms of sacks (which also influence the TFL numbers since a sack is counted as TFL as far as I know). And even if we factor in the defensive performance of their teams there was not much of a difference between the Baltimore and Tampa Bay Ds during that time frame.
Derrick Brooks didn't kill two people.

TL;DW?

Because I don't make it a habit of watching videos without at least some semblance of understanding of what they're covering. There's just too much time wasting BS for me to click on ever video someone posts to farm likes.

Talking about dominant LBs who redefined the game plus how black athletes had to overcome the being seen as non-intelligent who couldn't play in the "thinking" positions - QBs, LBs, etc.

No Steelers LBs?

Kevin Greene ranks 3rd in NFL with 160 sacks.

Privileged to have been able to see Taylor play. Tippett was something else too. Not quite LT but a AFC elite. Tippett played on some good teams but nothing like that Giants line.

One of my non Patriot favorites was Lions lb Chris Spielman. Just a tackling machine long before Kuechly. Not one of the greatest of all time but definitely one of my favs.
Kuechly should be getting some love too imo. I can't think of too many "modern" LBs who were as well rounded.

Him & Davis were as good as it gets. Easily 2 of the best coverage Lbs in the past 30 years.

That's a good reason not to watch the damn thing -- excluding the GREATEST linebacker in NFL history because of his race. Screw them.

LT was better

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back