PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL has suspended Josh Gordon indefinitely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I like Gordon a lot. He helped us to win SB and I will never fotget he was a crucial part of Patriots organisation.
However what is most important to me is Gordon as a human being and I am not even trying to imagine what is inside his head. He has got a problem, he is an addict and I believe someday he will cast off his demons.

<insert virtue signal about how deeply I care about a guy I don't know and who apparently puts pot over his responsibilities>

There is really no reason to believe that him playing in the NFL would make it easier to beat his addiction. In fact, I think the pressure of millions of people sniffing your jockstrap every five seconds will take its toll on an addict. I’m sure it’s exhausting and tiring mentally, not to mention embarrassing (shame is heavily tied to relapse, at least from my experience seeing people that have it.)

Tough love and coddling...that’s just the exact equivalent of a rock and a hard place. I watched a family member (in-law) try both of them for fifteen years while his son relapsed over and over again. Expensive rehab clinics. Around the clock watching him. Tough love. Coddling and understanding. In the end, they all led to him reverting back to drugs and his father just feeling guilty, like he did the wrong thing. And the son is dead now...went to the ER last year from an OD. Was released from the hospital, OD’d the same day and couldn’t be revived. Ultimately having compassion is all you can do...you cannot do much to help addicts, and you just try to give them the support but they must find their own way. Many do not. Rewards (like money, fame) etc. rarely make a difference because it isn’t a rational choice to begin with. So it annoys me when many posters believe that “having more to lose” should make the addiction easier to overcome. Science has proven that willpower is an illusion for serious addiction.

What’s sad to me is that it takes a celebrity or athlete to bring more awareness to this disease and how hellish it is. Alcohol is still advertised and everyone is so damn in your face about it. Imagine knowing that alcohol is certain to either kill you or lead you to harder drugs they will kill you and just living one day. Friends texting you pics of their margaritas, referenced in pop culture everywhere you look, wine menus shoved in your face restaurants. Social gatherings assuming everyone must drink; championship Champaign toasts. Someone very, very close to me is an alcoholic, and it’s a terrible disease, and one that isn’t helped at all by societal customs. This person has chosen to move outside the city to a smaller town and forced to discontinue many friendships, else the result could be fatal.

Last edited:
I was happy about his return with Us i wished him all the best

Yes...i was his fan...

I would have hoped to see him help Us to go to Miami...

Now i only wish him good luck!!!
Take care Josh
# 10

What took so long?

Seattle is the drug capital of the USA.

The city pays for and hands out free heroin and needles to its users and built them a facility to inhabit.

Wonder if we will get the bleeding heart defense on this board like we saw last year when he did this.
FACT: Addiction is an illness

End of story

If I started chain smoking cigarettes and gave myself lung cancer no one should feel bad for me.

that's a real $hitty world you've got around yourself there

If I started chain smoking cigarettes and gave myself lung cancer no one should feel bad for me.
Nicotine isn’t a mind altering substance

You need to accept the medical facts on this illness. It’s not like you can make up your own definition

if someone dies in a drunk driving accident, you don’t have to feel bad for the drunk driver

Let me guess...you’re a control freak who’s a bit OCD in your life

that's a real $hitty world you've got around yourself there
You act like I am rooting against him. I would love to see him turn it around stay clean and live a happy life but at the same time he has been given many opportunities and had every chance to make tons of money, live how his dreams but he failed to take advantage. Best wishes to him but I don't feel sorry for him.

You need to accept the medical facts on this illness. It’s not like you can make up your own definition

if someone dies in a drunk driving accident, you don’t have to feel bad for the drunk driver

Alcohol isn't a mind altering substance?

Feeling bad might not be the right emotion but if you made a big effort to quit and were a good person maybe I might feel a little sympathetic.

Alcohol isn't a mind altering substance?
It is. My point is, one not feel bad about the end result. But we have compassion for the disease of addiction. It’s a baffling illness because so many gifted people are afflicted with it

Do you understand how many parents have lost children to this illness? Do you understand Addicts don’t lack common sense?

<insert virtue signal about how deeply I care about a guy I don't know and who apparently puts pot over his responsibilities>
Snowflakes now calling everything virtue signaling, it's an interesting development.

Feeling bad might not be the right emotion but if you made a big effort to quit and were a good person maybe I might feel a little sympathetic.
To some extent I am sympathetic toward the situation. I believe he has kids and most likely people that love and care about him that want to see him get clean and care about him as a man and not a football player. I feel sympathetic toward them feeling helpless watching him throw his life away over and over. They didn't choose for him to start using drugs he did but they are still the ones who have to deal with the consequences.

It is. My point is, one not feel bad about the end result. But we have compassion for the disease of addiction. It’s a baffling illness because so many gifted people are afflicted with it

Do you understand how many parents have lost children to this illness? Do you understand Addicts don’t lack common sense?

The only "diseases" you can give yourself are alcoholism, drug addiction, and lung cancer. I cant make a conscious choice to give myself ALS or brain cancer. No one forced him to start using drugs the same way no one forced someone to chain smoke cigarettes or have 15 drinks and get behind the wheel of a car. Human beings were blessed with free will.

Like I said in my last post I feel sympathy for the families. It is heartbreaking to watch someone you love unravel and slowly kill themselves and know that no matter what stance you take, how much money you throw at the problem, how much you beg and plead and bargain with them the only one who can stop it is the addict themself.

You act like I am rooting against him. I would love to see him turn it around stay clean and live a happy life but at the same time he has been given many opportunities and had every chance to make tons of money, live how his dreams but he failed to take advantage. Best wishes to him but I don't feel sorry for him.

not at all.......I just think you lack either understanding or compassion.....or both

Let me guess...you’re a control freak who’s a bit OCD in your life

Nicotine is actually mind-altering.....just not in the way other vices are.

The only "diseases" you can give yourself are alcoholism, drug addiction, and lung cancer. I cant make a conscious choice to give myself ALS or brain cancer. No one forced him to start using drugs the same way no one forced someone to chain smoke cigarettes or have 15 drinks and get behind the wheel of a car. Human beings were blessed with free will.

Like I said in my last post I feel sympathy for the families. It is heartbreaking to watch someone you love unravel and slowly kill themselves and know that no matter what stance you take, how much money you throw at the problem, how much you beg and plead and bargain with them the only one who can stop it is the addict themself.

well.......it's pretty clear your understanding of the issue is non-existent

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference