PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency 2022 edition

Can we switch conferences with someone like Dallas? It's still the East Division, right?
The NFL owes us.

Kraft to Bill:

blackish-no-money-GIF-source.gif

I've been watching the off season with the same concerns about the coaching staff and Free Agency like most. As for FA, I believe that the real reason we are not active in the FA market is two fold. First we spent WILDLY just last season and while those FA pick ups improved us to a playoff team last year, we won't see the full benefits of those picks (or not) until this year. Our QB will improve, and so will the key elements of the the rest of the offense like the TE's and WR's.

But like most I wondered why we weren't restructuring contract and extending players like a lot of teams have had to do. I believe its because Bill believes that even if we when full out to resign JC, and pick up receivers, edge rushers, DB's etc, we weren't going to be a legitimate threat to vie for a championship next year. HOWEVER in 2023 when the cap will take a large leap, we WILL be ready to add the FA's to compete for a championship.

That isn't to say I believe we can't win 10 games again next year. I do. There are a LOT of serviceable FA that will be available over the next month and still more after the draft. If you fear that Herron will be our RT next season, then I believe one of Trent Brown or Marcus Cannon will be available on a moderate contract in the coming weeks. But regardless, before we all walk of the proverbial cliff, why don't we wait until at least the draft is over before we leap. Personally I'm going to wait until I see a few preseason games. Remember BOTH Joe Thuney and Shaq Mason were no name rookies at one time before they became these irreplaceable commodities.

Seems to me we are becoming more like Jet fans every day, either claiming victory or despair with every passing day. Certain aspects of our team will improve and others will weaken ON PAPER. However whatever ends up being our 53 man roster and PS, has yet to be determined and well beyond our expertise.

Josh McDaniels and Dave Ziegler immediately splurging and actually spending big money to get elite TALENT the second they get out from under the thumb of Belichick is so hilarious.

Respect to Josh going and trying to win now.

I like the aggression of many teams like it was in the 90's. The days of playing the "future" game are ending for teams. They are finally realizing they need to maximize the assets they have now.
I hope Mac Jones turns into a great QB but if I had Pat Mahomes or Josh Allen, I'd be playing the game of always fielding a competitive team in the hope that the QB would get me to the championship game half the time.

You don't need huge bets to win that game. You need one superstar at QB.

Josh McDaniels and Dave Ziegler immediately splurging and actually spending big money to get elite TALENT the second they get out from under the thumb of Belichick is so hilarious.
Wasn’t even just big money. Those 2 draft picks could’ve been playmakers for them.

JC Jackson gonna get exposed next year

Adams, Hill, and now Sutton & Jeudy actually have a QB.
JC trying to cover AFCW receivers.

gifs-that-will-make-you-laugh-every-time-16gif.gif

I wanted McDaniels and Ziegler to replace Bill. But, $28 million plus a 1st and 2nd for a WR who might, partially, be a product of Aaron Rodgers is a huge gamble. Kinda of makes me glad they’re in Las Vegas and not Foxboro.

Arm races like what’s going on in the AFC West leads to desperate gambles like this trade.

I wanted McDaniels and Ziegler to replace Bill. But, $28 million plus a 1st and 2nd for a WR who might, partially, be a product of Aaron Rodgers is a huge gamble. Kinda of makes me glad they’re in Las Vegas and not Foxboro.

Arm races like what’s going on in the AFC West leads to desperate gambles like this trade.

The Raiders just got the WR considered to be the best in the game, and they've got him for 5 years. In order to get him, they gave up a first and a second. The Patriots gave up a first rounder for Brandin Cooks.

if Rather have zadarius smith and Robbie Anderson.

I said "as of now", and that we needed to upgrade LG and RT

Its not how it works.
Over the next 5 months they will try to acquire legitimate competition for TC . using FA 1, Draft, FA 2, Trade..

Nobody outside can even begin to know what upgrades they need.
Hambright for example looks legit competitor for LG. Maybe Canadian guy can be competitive for some position too.
Cajuste, Durant and Sherman did not look good last yr but maybe one of them can step up . although my hopes are not high.
There will be new OL coaching staff, new approach, new assessment - that we know nothing about.
Many guys can play multiple positions so they will target best opportunities and delegate positions later.

Im sure we agree that BB intends to compete this year as usual.
And usually he doesn't go to Draft with open needs. So we can expect they will fill all the needs they feel before that..

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back