PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency 2022 edition

Scheme and size fit but and at his best was an elite run stuffer but he apparently had a subpar 2021 and often displayed poor effort after sitting out 2020 due to COVID. That’s a major red flag. Haven’t seen any Bears fans who are broken up about the move.

Best case scenario would be to sign him on a one year “prove it” deal and he ends up giving the Pats consistent effort in hopes of one more payday during the 2023 offseason.

Sure seems like a lot of guys had some motivation problems in Chicago last year. They’ve released some serious talent that can go a long way to helping the Pats get things back together. Being set entering the draft would allow Bill and Co. to go BPA. I’d like to bring in Goldman and Cohen. Do as you say, give Goldman a 1 year deal. Bring Cohen in for a medical check up. If healthy, he’d be a Swiss Army knife for Mac.

the FA deals are going to be crazy

Market reset year - glad we brought in a bunch last year.

But with huge CAP escalations coming, the Pats shouldn't be OUT (but I think they will be, other than bargain hunting).

With our limited cap space, if we are going to sign one free agent, I hope it is cb ward, former of kc.

I think he plays press man fairly well and is light years ahead of slowjuan,

the FA deals are going to be crazy

Meh, it’s not too crazy. He’s young, and had nearly a 1,000 yds. You’d definitely be paying for what you think he’s going to do. This is how much these guys are making now. Agholor will be making that much this year.

With our limited cap space, if we are going to sign one free agent, I hope it is cb ward, former of kc.

I think he plays press man fairly well and is light years ahead of slowjuan,
We have plenty of available cap space. The question is how much cap on current and signees to we want to move into the future.

One can choose not to move any cap money into the future.

One can consider that the cap is NOT a one-year deal. For me, it better to think to consider our cap situation over the next three years.
==========
BTW, we are signing lots, lot more than 1 free agent. You don't seem to include re-signing our own, or signing replacements for players that we don't re-sign or replacements for players we might cut.

I'm sure he will face a league suspension though.
He was essentially suspended this past year by the Texans.. And what would he get suspended for??? For being innocent?

The Texans didn’t want to put Watson on the felid because of the bad PR, and not wanting the league to suspend him, thus great reducing his trade value. You would think, they should have let the league susp him and get i5 over with.

There is an old saying in law enforcement, “ you can indict a ham sandwich“; Only the prosecutors speak to the Grand Jury, so no defense arguments at all. So as long as there is even a hint of wrongdoing you usually get a “true bill”.

Of course the level of culpability is less in a civil trail, so they might do better there.

I expect Watson to get traded with8n a week.

Meh, it’s not too crazy. He’s young, and had nearly a 1,000 yds. You’d definitely be paying for what you think he’s going to do. This is how much these guys are making now. Agholor will be making that much this year.
Agholor won't be making that much this year.

Agholor made just under $12 last year ($10m signing bonus, 1 million salary, + roster bonus), and will be paid just under $10 million this year ($9 million salary + roster bonus).

Agholor won't be making that much this year.

Agholor made just under $12 last year ($10m signing bonus, 1 million salary, + roster bonus), and will be paid just under $10 million this year ($9 million salary + roster bonus).
I guess I’m confused. We’re talking about cap hits though, right? Everything I’ve read since he signed the deal was that on the last year his hit is 15M. I just went and looked it up, and saw numbers ranging from 14.9 to-16M.

Agholor received a $10 million signing bonus when he signed. That bonus is allocated over the 2 years at $5 million each season. Also, He has $5 million of his $9.88 2022 salary guaranteed. Thus, if he were cut, his cap savings would be $4.88 million (the non guaranteed portion of his 2022 salary). If he was traded, the cap relief would be $9.88 million as the new team would assume the full salary including the $5 million guarantee.

Hope I understood your confusion and my explanation helps.

He was essentially suspended this past year by the Texans.. And what would he get suspended for??? For being innocent?

He hasn’t been officially suspended or suspended by the league. What the Texans did was against the CBA and Watson didn’t fight it because he didn’t want to play for the Texans. There is zero chance the league won’t suspend him especially with the current political climate.

Ben Roethlisberger was suspended for six games ( reduced to six) even though no charges were brought against him. And that was before the #meetoo movement.

I bet Watson gets a 6-8 game suspension. They may let him play until the civil suits are settled, but there is no way Goodell isn’t going to suspend Watson especially when he needs cover to protect one or two of his owners (Snyder and Ross unless he decides to make Ross an example) with Congress breathing down his neck.

Agholor received a $10 million signing bonus when he signed. That bonus is allocated over the 2 years at $5 million each season. Also, He has $5 million of his $9.88 2022 salary guaranteed. Thus, if he were cut, his cap savings would be $4.88 million (the non guaranteed portion of his 2022 salary). If he was traded, the cap relief would be $9.88 million as the new team would assume the full salary including the $5 million guarantee.

Hope I understood your confusion and my explanation helps.
This would have been a better year to splurge in FA. I really hope we can Trade Agholor to have $9 more Mill to play with. We have to get a Real WR on this Team better than Bourne.

Best case scenario would be to sign him on a one year “prove it” deal and he ends up giving the Pats consistent effort in hopes of one more payday during the 2023 offseason.
I don’t know. Don’t think NE is the place to be if you don’t like playing the game.

I don’t know. Don’t think NE is the place to be if you don’t like playing the game.

Agree, which is why I wouldn’t want them to give him more than a one year deal that is heavy on incentives and light on guaranteed money.

Remember when trading a franchise QB for ONE 1st round pick was considered costly?

Now the market for trading for a franchise QB has been destroyed.

While I’d trade Mac for Watson, Pats would have zero assets to build around him with his large contract and no picks.
Don’t have any interest in rooting for Deshaun Watson

Thought this was an interesting Mike Reiss piece this morning. Summary:
Culture first: Projecting the New England Patriots' plans in free agency
- Thinks Pats will resign Slater, McCourty, and Hoyer (with McDaniels departure being a reason)
- Doesn’t think Hightower or any of the LBs will be back
- Thinks everyone’s underestimating possibility of Folk leaving, comparing to Vinatieri after 2005
- Expects Pats to make effort to bring Trey Flowers back
- Otherwise expects more typical free agency for Pats, dumpster diving through released players and also through non-tendered RFA’s — with salaries for those being much higher than in the past, expecting many more non-tenders across the NFL than in the past.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back